Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM

83 posts, read 133,785 times

Advertisements

Just west of Wentworth (main strip right?) and north of Cermak. Those few blocks, essentially the area just west of the main Chinatown area. Is that small area pretty safe? Is there a visible Chinese street gang presence? Can I please get an idea on rent and how a white boy might fit in? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 AM

83 posts, read 133,785 times
No one?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:11 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,271,275 times
That part is the main quadrant of Chinatown. Like, where the square is and everything, right? I've been there day and night and never had a problem. That's where some of the best restaurants are.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5991619 View Post
No one?
"Visible Chinese street gangs"?

I've been all over Chinatown, and while I don't doubt that there are Chinese street gangs in Chicago, I've never seen evidence of them operating in a manner that would do anything to discourage tourism in Chinatown. In Chinatown, Chinese organized crime groups probably have a lot more power than street gangs and would make it very clear to any street-level hoodlums that doing things that scared off customers will not be tolerated.

The bigger issue for most Chinatown residents that I've known (all of whom have been Chinese) has been street crime by non-Chinese criminals. A lot of them are quite suspicious, whether justified or not, of the subsidized housing on Archer, west of Princeton.

Assuming you're not fluent in either Mandarin or Cantonese, I think your biggest issue finding good deals in Chinatown will be getting access to the primary market for available housing. Word of mouth and Chinese-language signs are often the biggest method of finding tenants there. Part of that is just people doing business in their own language, but part of it is a deliberate effort to maintain the Chinese character of Chinatown. It's not in Chinatown's best interest to make it easy for non-Chinese to live there. Is that technically illegal? Maybe, but I, for one, would be more than happy to let it slide to maintain such a vibrant ethnic neighborhood.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:00 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,340,994 times
I'm curious as to why you want so badly to live in Chinatown in the first place. To each his own, I guess, but as a "white boy" you're going to stick out like a sore thumb, even if you do manage to find a place. Just sayin'.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:28 PM

2,505 posts, read 3,561,094 times
Almost all of the housing NW of Wentworth & Cermak, but within "Chinatown" (which has arguably bled over into Bridgeport west of the railroad tracks and south of the freeway) is within the Chinatown Square development -- and most of that is either townhouses or senior housing. There are some condos around Ping Tom Park, I think.

IIRC, the real estate agency in charge of the residential there is Richland Realty. If you really want to live there, it's probably worth giving them a call. However, you'll find some great deals in equally safe and convenient locations just outside Chinatown, in Bridgeport or the Near South Side.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:57 PM

10 posts, read 13,221 times
This has been brought up already:

Chinatown?

Old 11-26-2010, 01:18 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,353,792 times
If you are worried about being safe in Chinatown then you should be worried about being safe anywhere in Chicago.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:20 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,353,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetrout View Post
This has been brought up already:

Chinatown?
You need to come up with an original name.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:39 AM

10 posts, read 13,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
You need to come up with an original name.
Hello Avengerfire. Been back to the political forum lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago