Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 11:23 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,106,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
but it's another L stop for Chinatown and eliminates the need to transfer to the red line if you're on the Green Line coming from north of downtown. If you're on the orange, pink, brown, or purple lines, now you don't even have to leave the platform to transfer.
Actually you gotta think further then that, it's good for the West siders who ride the Green Line, that don't have to transfer to the Red Line to get to Chinatown.

If you were getting on downtown, you would just get on the Red Line directly, no need to get on the Green Line to the Red Line to get to Cermak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I'm also sure we'll continue to see the density pick up south of Downtown, so I have no issues with another L stop. Wish there were a brown and maybe even Red Line stop at Division/Clybourn. If that's too short of spacing, maybe add an entrance at Wells Street?
Actually the logic is to have fewest L stations going away from downtown, so the trains can more speedily reach the stations near the end of their destination.

This is why the Brown Line has so many stops in the Ravenswood corridor - every 3 blocks.

Because buses have to stop every block, the buses are the way to go if you live near downtown, and commuting to and from downtown.

I think having a Division stop on the Brown Line is a waste. And I'm glad the Red Line doesn't stop at Diversey or Armitage.

Trains are meant for longer-distance travel, buses shorter distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:00 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Actually you gotta think further then that, it's good for the West siders who ride the Green Line, that don't have to transfer to the Red Line to get to Chinatown.

If you were getting on downtown, you would just get on the Red Line directly, no need to get on the Green Line to the Red Line to get to Cermak.

Actually the logic is to have fewest L stations going away from downtown, so the trains can more speedily reach the stations near the end of their destination.

This is why the Brown Line has so many stops in the Ravenswood corridor - every 3 blocks.

Because buses have to stop every block, the buses are the way to go if you live near downtown, and commuting to and from downtown.

I think having a Division stop on the Brown Line is a waste. And I'm glad the Red Line doesn't stop at Diversey or Armitage.

I generally agree, but buses are susceptible to essentially all traffic conditions whereas the L is delayed only by other L trains. I still feel the L should stop more frequently in higher density areas. I agree the L shouldn't be stopping every 2-3 blocks as a general rule, but I think we could do with a Brown Line stop at Division from a residential density standpoint alone. If tech incubators and other small and large businesses continue to lease up space on Goose Island, the demand would more than warrant it.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 11-21-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 12:03 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I've noticed that liberals tend to lump all Hispanics into one group and one mindset, so given that TX is 38% Hispanic, I assume the "technique" was an inference based upon the appearance of the referenced individuals. They also assume that this group is all for illegal immigration. The media is avoiding this issue like the plague but I'll bet dimes to dollars that Hillary did not get 100% of the Hispanic vote as liberals assumed she would going in.
What does that have to do with Beasley's statements?

Old 11-21-2016, 01:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
No amount of money can fix gun violence in those dangerous cities. Haven't we learned that already?

Old 11-21-2016, 01:26 PM

937 posts, read 927,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post

Cost per mile of heavy rail sort of is a counter point to this. I get what you're saying but I think it only applies to commuter rail, not intracity transit lines.

I think a more accurate statement is that buses are meant to solve the last-mile complexities of public transportation while trains are meant to define the system. (Which really brings into question why the hell we have the Yellow line)

There's a really good graph theory lecture on this somewhere...

Old 11-21-2016, 01:38 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
What does that have to do with Beasley's statements?
You asked how he knew the immigration status of those doing the jobs. I explained how he may believe he knows.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:33 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Let's see, Chicago's murder rate is soaring and out of control, Chicago has the worst population loss of any American city, Chicago has the worst financial situation of any American city, Chicago is a laggard in almost every comparable metric, from immigration to gentrification to new development to new jobs.

And the mayor covered up a cop killing and lied his way to qualifying for office, with a fake "residence".

Is that enough, or you need more?
The murder rate is soaring in other poor, inner-city areas as well, not just Chicago. (It's happening in Cleveland, where I live now, for example.) It's currently a national trend, although I'm not entirely clear as to why.

Population loss: That 200,000 loss was recorded in the 2010 Census. Rahm didn't become Mayor until 2011. Since then, estimates have been hinting at a slight gain, although we won't know for sure until 2020.

Finances: Rahm did try to do the right thing regarding pension reform, but was struck down by the courts. It's an Illinois thing -- IMO the state Constitution needs to be changed, but the General Assembly doesn't seem to have the will to tackle it.

Rahm did take credit for wooing a number of corporations to relocate their headquarters from the suburbs to the city. The city benefits from this financially, although the metro region as a whole does not.

As for the cop killing, I'm not really up on that. I left town 14 months ago, so if it happened since then I'm not aware of it.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:21 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
The murder rate is soaring in other poor, inner-city areas as well, not just Chicago. (It's happening in Cleveland, where I live now, for example.) It's currently a national trend, although I'm not entirely clear as to why.

Population loss: That 200,000 loss was recorded in the 2010 Census. Rahm didn't become Mayor until 2011. Since then, estimates have been hinting at a slight gain, although we won't know for sure until 2020.

Finances: Rahm did try to do the right thing regarding pension reform, but was struck down by the courts. It's an Illinois thing -- IMO the state Constitution needs to be changed, but the General Assembly doesn't seem to have the will to tackle it.

Rahm did take credit for wooing a number of corporations to relocate their headquarters from the suburbs to the city. The city benefits from this financially, although the metro region as a whole does not.

As for the cop killing, I'm not really up on that. I left town 14 months ago, so if it happened since then I'm not aware of it.
There were also a number of corporate relocations from outside the metro during this time period such as Archer Daniel Midlands, ConAgra, GE Healthcare, RSM US among others. It looks like Chicago has laid a lot of groundwork for a good economic future overall, but who knows what will happen. Probably the biggest issue Chicago is facing is that the state as a whole isn't doing so well outside of Chicagoland and it's not looking like there are many bright spots out there in the road ahead. There's UIUC and the surrounding area, but that's about it unless I'm missing something. Also, why isn't there a major research university in Rockford?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-21-2016 at 05:33 PM..

Old 11-22-2016, 11:44 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,486,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
No one forced them to illegally enter and put down roots. The family does not have to be split up, the US born ones may leave with them, and keep the family intact. What's wrong with that?

This whole "keep the families together" spiel has gotten old. If that's the benchmark for policy, then we should never put anyone in prison because it "splits up" families.
Agree! They broke the law by entering the country illegally. Now they can pack their bags and get the hell out. Had kids while you were here illegally? oh well, take them back with you if you like or there's always facetime ...

Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 AM

636 posts, read 612,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Let's see, Chicago's murder rate is soaring and out of control, Chicago has the worst population loss of any American city, Chicago has the worst financial situation of any American city, Chicago is a laggard in almost every comparable metric, from immigration to gentrification to new development to new jobs.

And the mayor covered up a cop killing and lied his way to qualifying for office, with a fake "residence".

Is that enough, or you need more?
Jesus, go outside and enjoy your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago