Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 04:22 PM

605 posts, read 675,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Actually here in Texas. Americans are bussing tables, and dishwashing. They are paid 13 hour.... I was shocked after I left Chicago and moved here when I seen white class Americans bussing tables and working the dishwasher....

Its possible and when a college or high school kid needs a job. They will take it... It is much different in Chicago

I don't know which part of Texas you are living in but I can say from experience Texas has a huge population of illegal immigrants doing those types of jobs and all of the large cities (ie Houston, Dallas, and yes Austin) are also sanctuary cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 05:07 PM

4,528 posts, read 4,691,161 times
I don't care one bit for that Rahm Emanuel. Something about him has never set right with me. I cant quite put my finger on it, but he seems so phony. He has an elitist style about him that turns me off to no end. It's people like him that give liberals a bad name. I never understood what so brilliant about him that Obama had him in his administration. I have my own thoughts on that i will keep to myself. But suffice to say, if not for Obama I doubt if anybody outside of Chicagoland would have a clue who Rahm Emanuel is, and leave it at that.

All that said, I don't have any problem with law abiding people from Mexico and Central America who are in this country without proper permission from the United States govt. They have never caused me any problems or interfered in my life in any kind of way. I'm not at war with those people. Their lives are stressful enough.

I certainly wouldn't want to see any families suffer or be split up because of anything I said or thought about them. I don't want that on my conscience. I think God might have issues with humans treating other humans in such an inhumane way.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 11-19-2016 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 06:35 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,141,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I don't care one bit for that Rahm Emanuel. Something about him has never set right with me. I cant quite put my finger on it, but he seems so phony. He has an elitist style about him that turns me off to no end. It's people like him that give liberals a bad name. I never understood what so brilliant about him that Obama had him in his administration. I have my own thoughts on that i will keep to myself. But suffice to say, if not for Obama I doubt if anybody outside of Chicagoland would have a clue who Rahm Emanuel is, and leave it at that.

All that said, I don't have any problem with law abiding people from Mexico and Central America who are in this country without proper permission from the United States govt. They have never caused me any problems or interfered in my life in any kind of way. I'm not at war with those people. Their lives are stressful enough.

I certainly wouldn't want to see any families suffer or be split up because of anything I said or thought about them. I don't want that on my conscience. I think God might have issues with humans treating other humans in such an inhumane way.
It's like your dismissing those they've harmed in some way. Just because you're not dealing with them.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:36 PM

410 posts, read 495,091 times
This is just virtue signaling. And just bad governing.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 AM

4,528 posts, read 4,691,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
It's like your dismissing those they've harmed in some way. Just because you're not dealing with them.
I'm not talking about the ones who committed violent crimes. The ones who commit violent crimes need to be sent back the country they came from and not be allowed to set foot in the United States ever again.

I'm talking about the ones that work an honest living, and stay out of trouble and are trying to make a better life for their selfs and familys. To send those people back to the country they came from, and split the family up, is immoral and is not the right thing to do. And it's not a liberal or conservative or religious way of thought either. It's common sense.

Companies enticed the people to come here with the promise of a good job that pays more money than they'd ever make in Mexico, all with the blessing of the US Govt. When the workers come here from Mexico, they are playing the game set up by my the govt and businesses, just like everybody else does. Its when things get heated, the politicians, the businesses want to point the fingers at the workers who are here without proper permission, as if they are the bad people and it's all their fault.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:41 PM

477 posts, read 279,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I'm talking about the ones that work an honest living, and stay out of trouble and are trying to make a better life for themselves and families. To send those people back to the country they came from, and split the family up, is immoral and is not the right thing to do. And it's not a liberal or conservative or religious way of thought either. It's common sense.
No one forced them to illegally enter and put down roots. The family does not have to be split up, the US born ones may leave with them, and keep the family intact. What's wrong with that?

This whole "keep the families together" spiel has gotten old. If that's the benchmark for policy, then we should never put anyone in prison because it "splits up" families.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:23 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,220,687 times
Rahm decided to grandstand with the rest of the country's large metropolises because he didn't want to be left out. He hasn't changed Chicago's existing policies, which predate him by decades. We would have been targeted with or without Rahm's remarks, assuming Trump even does what he claims he will. His major infrastructure projects don't mesh with withholding funding from the majority of America's large cities. Granted his infrastructure projects also don't mesh with his proposed tax breaks, so who knows what he'll actually end up doing.

I'm also highly skeptical that he plans on dropping the hammer on his beloved NYC, a city that he intends to live in on the weekends, and in which Melania and his son Barron will still be living in since they won't be moving to the White House.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:48 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,233,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Rahm decided to grandstand with the rest of the country's large metropolises because he didn't want to be left out. He hasn't changed Chicago's existing policies, which predate him by decades. We would have been targeted with or without Rahm's remarks, assuming Trump even does what he claims he will. His major infrastructure projects don't mesh with withholding funding from the majority of America's large cities. Granted his infrastructure projects also don't mesh with his proposed tax breaks, so who knows what he'll actually end up doing.

I'm also highly skeptical that he plans on dropping the hammer on his beloved NYC, a city that he intends to live in on the weekends, and in which Melania and his son Barron will still be living in since they won't be moving to the White House.
Precisely

Old 11-21-2016, 08:31 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,126,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
No one forced them to illegally enter and put down roots. The family does not have to be split up, the US born ones may leave with them, and keep the family intact. What's wrong with that?
Has to do with why they left the country to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
This whole "keep the families together" spiel has gotten old. If that's the benchmark for policy, then we should never put anyone in prison because it "splits up" families.
I bet you're the type that believes private property can be double-dipped.

Let's take the property owner of an abandoned building.

I bet you're the type that believes if you get into his house at night, you're violating his right because you're on his property and grounds for prosecution for trespassing.

And what about the abandoned building he owns, I bet you're the type that believes if someone wandered into his abandoned building, you're also violating his right just like as if you broke into his house.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,421,757 times
As much as I generally despise Emanuel, he's on the right side of history on this issue. One of the few things he's gotten right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago