Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times

Advertisements

Inspired by another thread - the OP was looking for inexpensive lodging and someone recommended a hostel. I have never stayed in a hostel and was intrigued. I am a Chicagoan living out of state the past few years and I'm visiting in the summer for a graduation.

So...checked out Freestyle, looked good and then I checked the price. It was $400+ per night . This was for either a queen or king room.

I thought hostels were supposed to be way less than that. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Hostels are cheap on a per person basis- the more people you share a room with, the cheaper it is (think multiple bunkbeds in a small room, shared restrooms). Some hostels do offer hotel-style rooms but be prepared to pay hotel-style prices. I've never heard of this place but I would check the HI hostel near Wabash and Congresd downtown.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:14 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
Ever since i watched the movie Hostel, no amount of money would get me to go into one.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:30 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Inspired by another thread - the OP was looking for inexpensive lodging and someone recommended a hostel. I have never stayed in a hostel and was intrigued. I am a Chicagoan living out of state the past few years and I'm visiting in the summer for a graduation.

So...checked out Freestyle, looked good and then I checked the price. It was $400+ per night . This was for either a queen or king room.

I thought hostels were supposed to be way less than that. Hmmm.
Probably because of the nights you were looking for. If the graduation is anytime around June 13-15 then that's during NeoCon, which is a huge convention in the Merchandise Mart that totally jacks up prices for all lodging in the River North area. Even if it's not those dates, certain other conventions can really jack up lodging prices in River North, so that's my guess - a convention. But, also, inexpensive hostels are inexpensive when you stay in shared rooms, not a private room. A private room isn't usually going to save you much, if anything.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:19 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Hostels are cheap on a per person basis- the more people you share a room with, the cheaper it is (think multiple bunkbeds in a small room, shared restrooms). Some hostels do offer hotel-style rooms but be prepared to pay hotel-style prices. I've never heard of this place but I would check the HI hostel near Wabash and Congresd downtown.
right. freehand is both a hostel AND a hotel. if you search for shared/bunks on Freehands site, the price is more like $50-60/night. you have to be prepared to share a room 3 other people you dont know and have a bathroom down the hall. their single beds are basically being marketed as traditional hotel rooms. youre also paying a premium to be in river north

Freehand seems to be positioning themselves as a more trendy option too. Hostel International is quite a bit cheaper for single rooms, but also more spartan.

compare this

http://exp.cdn-hotels.com/hotels/100...18281_71_z.jpg

to this

http://travelblog.studentuniverse.co...ago-hostel.jpg

not exactly 4 star, but more like a hipstery Ace Hotel than a hostel.

and yea, summer is high time for any hostel/hotel. and hostels especially will get booked up for weekends theres music festivals, etc. if youre looking at July, it could very easily be either Pitchfork or Lolla weekend.

Last edited by via chicago; 03-28-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,637,756 times
maybe also try Longman and Eagle if you dont mind staying in Logan Square? it will be more than a hostel, but you can get a private queen budget room for $120

Old 03-28-2016, 04:32 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Ever since i watched the movie Hostel, no amount of money would get me to go into one.
Ehh... Some hostels are great places, others not. I stayed at The Cleveland Hostel for my first 18 days after moving back to town, and I couldn't have been more pleased. And, at an average of $30 a night, it was a great deal!

Old 03-28-2016, 04:42 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,600,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Ehh... Some hostels are great places, others not. I stayed at The Cleveland Hostel for my first 18 days after moving back to town, and I couldn't have been more pleased. And, at an average of $30 a night, it was a great deal!
why is it so cheap? if you have to share bathrooms and stuff, i'd get a Motel 6 for $48 a night.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:43 PM

Have you checked out the Chicago Getaway Hostel in Lincoln Park? I seem to recall that they had very reasonable rates, as well as excellent ratings. Next time I come back to town for a visit, I'm going to look into staying there.

Do keep in mind what others on this thread have already stated: Private rooms at hostels are significantly more expensive than shared rooms. Also, rates can rise dramatically during very popular weekends and other times when the city has an unusually large number of visitors.

Don't be afraid to share a room with others. I had never shared a room with strangers before -- let alone strangers of both genders -- but the experience was not at all offputting in the end. Of course, I did have to make certain adjustments, like not sleeping in the nude like I might've done in a private room.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
why is it so cheap? if you have to share bathrooms and stuff, i'd get a Motel 6 for $48 a night.
That $30 rate was for shared rooms containing 6 to 8 bunk beds. Private rooms were running $75 a night.

It was a great experience for the money, and the location couldn't be beat -- one of Cleveland's most attractive neighborhoods, with nightlife and restaurants nearby plus better-than-average public transportation for the city, and just a stone's throw from downtown. One usually has to travel to much less convenient locations -- i.e., the distant suburbs -- to find cheap private accommodation like Motel 6 or others.

And there were plenty of bathrooms -- kept clean! -- and I had no trouble accessing one when I needed to.

Last edited by andrew61; 03-28-2016 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago