Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 10:05 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yeah man just ignore him. I mean he makes statements like Pilsen, known for it's Mexican cuisine, is nothing but just tacos there and then feels the need to be sarcastic over the ignorant statement he made on being called out that Mexican food is more than just tacos, in which Pilsen has so much more than tacos, but a rich Mexican restaurant scene, art scene and Mexican music scene.

Anyway, he is from Iowa, so really, it's rich that someone from Iowa thinks they know what Chicago is really all about because he doesn't. I heard Iowa isn't the most interesting, underrated for sure, but apparently, he must live in some boring place.

Night y'all.
RonnieJonez be like "Chicago ain't interesting"

City-data be like "where you from?"

RonnieJonez be like "that's not important right now"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
You "handle" men on forums? I prefer not to participate then.

It could be summed up as easily as saying Chicago doesn't really have much of a glamour appeal, but it has everything else.

LA/Miami/Vegas have that appeal, and to pretend that doesn't affect the perception of a city...is...well, I'll let you "handle" that, since it seems to be your specialty.
Weak, son. I couldn't care less if Chicago was 1/100th as exciting as LA, Miami, or Vegas. We're not competing with them.

I thought your original argument was about whether Chicago was culturally like the rest of the Midwest. Oh, you conveniently forgot about that since you don't have a rebuttal.

Stop riding on the coattails of other cities, kid. That's weak and shows how much you don't like yourself.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yeah man just ignore him. I mean he makes statements like Pilsen, known for it's Mexican cuisine, is nothing but just tacos there and then feels the need to be sarcastic over the ignorant statement he made on being called out that Mexican food is more than just tacos, in which Pilsen has so much more than tacos, but a rich Mexican restaurant scene, art scene and Mexican music scene.

Anyway, he is from Iowa, so really, it's rich that someone from Iowa thinks they know what Chicago is really all about because he doesn't. I heard Iowa isn't the most interesting, underrated for sure, but apparently, he must live in some boring place.

Night y'all.
Yes I went to high school then college in Iowa and spent some time there. One of the glaring differences between Chicago & LA is that in LA they really don't care if you came from a boring place initially. Same with Miami or Vegas. In Chicago, they'll use it against you every chance they get.

Again, Des Moines & Chicago are culturally more similar than either would admit. Des Moines would want to be compared to NYC, LA, San Francisco or Seattle, Chicago wouldn't get why Des Moines doesn't look up to them.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
RonnieJonez be like "Chicago ain't interesting"

City-data be like "where you from?"

RonnieJonez be like "that's not important right now"
Apparently some of the members use this forum to practice stand-up comedy as well.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:20 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
Weak, son. I couldn't care less if Chicago was 1/100th as exciting as LA, Miami, or Vegas. We're not competing with them.

I thought your original argument was about whether Chicago was culturally like the rest of the Midwest. Oh, you conveniently forgot about that since you don't have a rebuttal.

Stop riding on the coattails of other cities, kid. That's weak and shows how much you don't like yourself.
It's funny how people from boofoo think they know what living in a true urban city is like and the experience as well. He talks about how LA, NYC and other cities are not boring like Chicago but I'm sure if he lived in any major city, even Chicago, he wouldn't be able to handle it and would run back home to mommy and daddy and his little homogenous community. Imagine him walking around Pilsen at night or Albany Park. He would probably be terrified lol. And I don't think most cities in the Midwest breed people like this, just the very homogenous and ignorant ones (which is not exclusive to the Midwest ).

Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 PM

I'm not even sure Steven Seagal would want to walk around Pilsen at night. Cue, the "Chicago toughguy effect". You could just whoop everyone who looked dangerous without even trying. Obviously, people generally aren't going to mess with you unless you give them a reason to, but one would have to be stupid to walk around by themselves in Pilsen or Lawndale at 2am. While they are close distance, I know Pilsen isn't as dangerous as Lawndale (both North & South) before someone acts like it's a revelation to tell me that.

Last edited by tollfree; 10-28-2015 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:

BTW here is another sign of trolls having too much time on their hands. They hate or dislike a city yet they spend all their time posting in the forums of that hated city. It makes no sense to me unless you really have no life and nothing better to do. I hate Phoenix and Houston but I never post in those city forums, because why the hell would I? I guess if I were insecure, lonely and nothing better to do I would because misery loves company!

Old 10-28-2015, 11:15 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Chicago has the trappings of a big international city (NY, LA, Paris, London, Tokyo) in terms of shopping, fine dining, direct air travel, but it's very culturally midwestern to the point it's irreversible. North face jackets everywhere, sports fanaticism to the point it's basically religion, pub culture over lounge, and the yuppie parts of Chicago are extended Big 10 universities. The "hipster" parts are still stuck in this prototypical Urban Outfitters 2007 hipster.

So, in short, yes, it feels midwestern compared to those cities, while not feeling midwestern compared to other midwestern cities, but still not that different. Chicago & Des Moines (a much smaller city) are far more culturally similar than Chicago is to Los Angeles. Someone visiting from a smaller city in the midwest isn't going to experience much culture shock in Chicago other than seeing a cluster of very tall buildings. The same is not true with LA or NY (NY on a lesser scale than LA).

In terms of international recognition, Vegas & Miami are probably a step above Chicago in terms of places people "want to visit" (whether from USA or not) in the US or say they've been to.

I'm sure a certain member here will disagree and bring up his "friends" in Tokyo/Moscow/Rio De Janeiro disagree and are much enamored with Chicago than NYC LA or Miami.
The idea that you think Chicago and Des Moines are similar at all shows you know next to nothing about either city. I'd be surprised if anyone on here takes what you say seriously. Sports culture is big in every major city that has a pro sport's team, Boston has it, New York has it, Seattle has it.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 PM

I said they are more culturally similar to each other than either is to LA. That doesn't mean they are very similar, or even as similar as Chicago/Milwaukee, which are more far more similar than Chicago/Des Moines.

While sports culture exists in every city, it wouldn't make sense to say the level of sports fanaticism is the exact same in every city across the board. It's definitely a bigger deal in some cities, Chicago being one of them, especially with the Cubs & Bears, but not the Bulls for whatever reason, which is Chicago's most iconic professional sports franchise.

I like Chicago, and the topic of discussion is whether or not Chicago feels midwestern. It's impossible not to when you're right between Wisconsin & Indiana.

Last edited by tollfree; 10-29-2015 at 12:46 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 12:05 AM

37 posts, read 36,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Sports culture is big in every major city that has a pro sport's team, Boston has it, New York has it, Seattle has it.
There is no issue with sports culture, but with sports fanaticism.

As the prior person posted, you can walk into a bar, and 90% of the people will be wearing the northface jacket, the blue jeans and uggs/boots/sneakers.

Chicago is the top of the line dream of every Midwesterner, so yes, it feels Midwestern. Most people from OH, WI, IN, etc... dream to come to the big city and this is the highlight of their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago