Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times

Advertisements

Heck, if you want segregation go to the suburbs. Cross over from Westchester to Bellwood. Or Summit to Bridgeview. Or Kenilworth (Christmas lights) to Winnetka (no Christmas lights). The list goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspetite View Post
I've definitely gotten the mean mugging in Norwood Park, Mt. Greenwood, and Lakeview. As I was driving through the Burger King with my dad in Mt. greenwood, some little boy (couldn't have been no older than 13) damn near broke his neck staring us down from inside the dine in section. I'm thinking damn yes, I'm black...hi, how can I help you?

I'm in no way trying to take away from your claim (ok...maybe I am) but your honestly gonna base your whole argument about the city being racist by talking about a 13 y/o (come on a little kid) staring you down?

If the 13 y/o had been black, would you've thought the same thing? I mean seriously. Your two accounts of somehow being violated have been you getting "mean mugged." I know exactly what your talking about, so I'm not saying your claim doesn't hold any merit but seriously...

I'm from the South...I've experienced real bouts of racism (not saying yours aren't). I could fill up this post with different accounts.

As far as LA not being racist...or segregated? I have family in LA. If you wind up in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time you won't get mean mugged you'll get shot (ever heard of their race wars? blacks vs. hispanics?). With the gang culture of the city most citizens are forced to live in their respective race's neighborhoods. So your idea about segregation is the country is slightly skewed.

I'm not saying Chicago doesn't have racist....that'd be stupid of me...but I'm trying to tell you that "I' don't believe that its worse than a lot of other places in this country.

If your gonna make the claim...please use better examples than you got a dirty look.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 PM

Oh and...Lakeview?? As much as I seen in Lakeview...I would really be suprised if you were being stared at because you were black. I guess some of the other posters may not be able to speak so freely about your claim, but come on...anything goes in Lakeview...any race, gender, or sexual orientation.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiguy1957 View Post
I'm not really a regular to this forum, but neiter am I a newbie. I've read enough to think that perhaps 50% or more of the posts here are BS intended to stir the pot. I'd also imagine that with all the resurrected topics that there are many "Sybills" here.

It just seems to go with the territory on internet boards.
This sounds right on to me.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 PM

54 posts, read 200,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm in no way trying to take away from your claim (ok...maybe I am) but your honestly gonna base your whole argument about the city being racist by talking about a 13 y/o (come on a little kid) staring you down?

If the 13 y/o had been black, would you've thought the same thing? I mean seriously. Your two accounts of somehow being violated have been you getting "mean mugged." I know exactly what your talking about, so I'm not saying your claim doesn't hold any merit but seriously...

I'm from the South...I've experienced real bouts of racism (not saying yours aren't). I could fill up this post with different accounts.

As far as LA not being racist...or segregated? I have family in LA. If you wind up in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time you won't get mean mugged you'll get shot (ever heard of their race wars? blacks vs. hispanics?). With the gang culture of the city most citizens are forced to live in their respective race's neighborhoods. So your idea about segregation is the country is slightly skewed.

I'm not saying Chicago doesn't have racist....that'd be stupid of me...but I'm trying to tell you that "I' don't believe that its worse than a lot of other places in this country.

If your gonna make the claim...please use better examples than you got a dirty look.

The 13 year old wouldn't be black because that neighborhood is *all white*. I'm not attempting to base the entire city being racist based on a 13 year old. I merely gave one *recent* example of racial tension I experienced. Please don't attempt to negate mean mugging as "just a dirty look" and non-racism. They obviously didn't want me in the neighborhood. I've lived down south as well so yes I've experienced subtle and in your face racism. This thread would be 50-11 pages long if I talked about every single racist experience I've been through in Chicago alone.

I never said LA wasn't racist....but no it's not segregated. The gangs aren't keeping different races from living side by side. Races intermingle a lot more in LA and live closer together. So what's Chicago's excuse? Oh the extreme segregation. Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Last edited by misspetite; 01-30-2008 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Oh and...Lakeview?? As much as I seen in Lakeview...I would really be suprised if you were being stared at because you were black. I guess some of the other posters may not be able to speak so freely about your claim, but come on...anything goes in Lakeview...any race, gender, or sexual orientation.

Bwahahahaha! This is coming from the same guy that claimed he lived in Chicago for 4 months. You're trying to school ME on racism based on the 4 months you lived here? You ought to take that act on the road! Gtownoe live in concert!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
And this is exactly why I didn't want to see this topic flogged yet again. My heartfelt thanks to the trolling OP for putting us through this crap yet another time.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Someone has some serious issues here that only a psychiatrist and exorcist could solve.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Someone has some serious issues here that only a psychiatrist and exorcist could solve.

I'm fine. Thanks for your concern.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspetite View Post
Bwahahahaha! This is coming from the same guy that claimed he lived in Chicago for 4 months. You're trying to school ME on racism based on the 4 months you lived here? You ought to take that act on the road! Gtownoe live in concert!

Your right. I have no credibility. You were mean mugged on your stroll through the Northside. Chicago is racist.

I don't want to stir up more problems. I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago