Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times

Advertisements

If you are serious just call the cops and tell them he threatened you and was throwing racial slurs at you.

You will have to exaggerate to get anything done.

I did this a couple of years ago when an unruly black guy who drank too much started verbally assaulting me and threatening me as I walked by the building where he was staying. I called the cops and they were there in 10 mins and arrested the guy. I never saw him again and assume his landlord forced him out or he wasn't staying there. This is only 1 block from where I live. This is one of the few times I have ever been attacked verbally for being white. Granted, the cops who patrol my area are almost all polish and don't put up with this crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
If you are serious just call the cops and tell them he threatened you and was throwing racial slurs at you.

You will have to exaggerate to get anything done.

I did this a couple of years ago when an unruly black guy who drank too much started verbally assaulting me and threatening me as I walked by the building where he was staying. I called the cops and they were there in 10 mins and arrested the guy. I never saw him again and assume his landlord forced him out or he wasn't staying there. This is only 1 block from where I live. This is one of the few times I have ever been attacked verbally for being white. Granted, the cops who patrol my area are almost all polish and don't put up with this crap.
So you exagerated your story to the cops to get a black guy arrested? That's what it sounds like your saying, and that would be straight out of 1963 Mississippi.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 PM

107 posts, read 142,494 times
Call Your Landlord And Tell Him About It, More Than Once, And Ask Him What He Is Going To Do About It.

Look In The Phone Book For Civil Rights Volunteer Lawyers, This Guy Is An Oppressor, He Will Be Charged With Assault And You Can Sue Him For Assault If You Were Close Enough For Him To Hit You Or Throw Something At You, Which It Sounds Like You Were. You Can Start The Suit Yourself, No Lawyer, In A Small Claims Court.
Google Chicago Small Claims Court. Ask For $3000.00 For Assault. Describe The Guy, Find Out Who He Is.
You Must Stand Up For Your Rights In This Situation, This Person Is An Oppressor.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
So you exagerated your story to the cops to get a black guy arrested? That's what it sounds like your saying, and that would be straight out of 1963 Mississippi.
It seems he did it to get a drunken idiot arrested irregardless of race.
1963 Mississippi would have been the black guy moving into the neighborhood, minding his own business and getting run out of town and harrassed.

I find it ironic that you are implying the VICTIM of racial abuse in this story was actually the racist.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Lookout

Lookout,

I didn't need to exaggerate to get the cops over there to arrest this game. He gave me plenty of ammo to get him locked up by mouthing off to me and threatening me.

This happened one block from me and I refuse to put up with behavior like that in my neighborhood.

If you think people don't exaggerate to get the cops to do stuff you are naive, especially in a neighborhood where the cops don't show up usually for 30-60 mins after you call. I was lucky. I also know people at the station over by central and grand.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The guy in the original post probably isn't a hard core racist. He was just trying to start a fight and be abusive. He probably also called you a homosexual (they star out the F-word) etc etc. The fact that he was saying these things to someone who really doesn't look black would probably be the tip-off. (I've seen guys get mad because a guy was hitting on his girlfriend and started calling the guy a F-word (homosexual), truly ironic)

Kinda like the comedian Michael Richards with him and the guys in the crowd calling each other cracker and the n-word back and forth.

Stupid hot-heads don't typically make a lot of sense. I would definitely report this to the landlord formally so the next time this guy does something (inevitable) they have a history.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:59 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Lookout,

I didn't need to exaggerate to get the cops over there to arrest this game. He gave me plenty of ammo to get him locked up by mouthing off to me and threatening me.

This happened one block from me and I refuse to put up with behavior like that in my neighborhood.

If you think people don't exaggerate to get the cops to do stuff you are naive, especially in a neighborhood where the cops don't show up usually for 30-60 mins after you call. I was lucky. I also know people at the station over by central and grand.
I agree that the guy should be arrested in your case, and am not sticking up for him. I'm just a bit shocked you're publicly advocating the idea of exagerating stories to the police. People in Chicago's African American community are already suspicious about the police and how they take sides, and you're adding fuel to the fire. I personally like law and order, and am thankful for the job that the police do every day. But please don't lie to them to get someone arrested. It's not a good idea.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 AM

25 posts, read 86,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I agree that the guy should be arrested in your case, and am not sticking up for him. I'm just a bit shocked you're publicly advocating the idea of exagerating stories to the police. People in Chicago's African American community are already suspicious about the police and how they take sides, and you're adding fuel to the fire. I personally like law and order, and am thankful for the job that the police do every day. But please don't lie to them to get someone arrested. It's not a good idea.

I agree. I also don't understand what was exaggerated if the guy was actually threatening someone. If he was being a jerk and not threatening with bodily harm why call the cops, especially if he wasn't in pursuit or had a weapon? I hope they also wouldn't put up with the verbal harassment of one of their Black residents, but forgive me if I suspect otherwise.

If we are going to arrest people, however, for uttering racial slurs then jails would be overrun and there would be no place for people who are actually committing crimes. The other problem is that, in this scenario, I can basically call the police whenever I feel like it and have someone arrested with no evidence (unless there were witnesses).

It's also one thing to be jeered at on the street and quite another to be harassed where you live (literally in your building by a resident!) by someone you could run into on a daily basis in close quarters (like an elevator). I feel for the OP because as hostile as the world can be the one place we deserve to escape from that is in our homes.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,826 times
Update, he creeped out a girl in our building today so I think his days are numbered for the most part. I've told every minority person I can about him and they know of what he has said and they aren't too happy about it.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:43 PM

414 posts, read 884,622 times
Don't just leave it to reporting this to minorities. Everyone in the community should know what a jerk this person is so that they know not to deal with him ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago