Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Chicago people as nice as other Midwesterners?
Yes. Chicagoans are so nice like the rest of the Midwest. 52 53.61%
No. It's not New York but people are jerks regardless of the fact it's in the Midwest. 45 46.39%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
...I haven't spent enough time in Philly to gage them.
gauge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 11:56 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:

Personally I didn't even find New Yorkers to be all that rude at all, for example. I haven't spent enough time in Philly to gage them.
Agree. I've lived on the east coast and visited many cities in the area. The people aren't any different than they are here in Chicago in my opinion.

I've actually found many natives here in Chicago to not be very receiving to outsiders.

I don't think the friendliness level here is any better than northeastern cities.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:20 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
I've actually found many natives here in Chicago to not be very receiving to outsiders.
Yea this is a very anthropological thing.

How many people are open to making friends outside their gang.

Outside their religion.

Outside their same-religion same-race.

Gang members are morally obligated to pay back the money they owe to other people inside their gang.

But outside their gang? I've never met 1.

It's a fucing tribalism.

Judaism, Islam, Mormonisn.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:40 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Chicagoans are probably more overtly rude than their Midwestern peers, but they're also more welcoming to transplants. Many of the larger Midwestern cities are more polite on the surface, but they're more cliquey and less open to transplants. Even the Twin Cities with its high growth rate (by Midwestern standards) and healthy economy has to deal with Minnesota Nice. That's a bigger problem in the long run than dealing with a jagoff on the L.

Overall though, the nice Midwestern stereotype is BS outside of rural towns. Chicago isn't NYC in that regard, and every other Midwestern city certainly isn't Mayberry.
I think this is true in general ACROSS the US.

A lot of friendly and polite places are often cliquey and less open to transplants and vice versa.

Here in Southern California, people will visit or spend a short amount of time visiting states like Texas, Utah, and other conservative states and will fall over about how friendly, nice and polite everyone is there and about how rude and inconsiderate Californians are, but they haven't lived in a smaller, more conservative cities on a long term basis so they don't know the reality of still feeling like an outsider two years later.

Having said that, I think its still mostly the transplants in Chicago that are in turn welcoming to other transplants. Native Chicagoands/Chicagolanders can and do have their own cliqueyness.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

A lot of friendly and polite places are often cliquey and less open to transplants and vice versa.

Here in Southern California, people will visit or spend a short amount of time visiting states like Texas, Utah, and other conservative states and will fall over about how friendly, nice and polite everyone is there and about how rude and inconsiderate Californians are, but they haven't lived in a smaller, more conservative cities on a long term basis so they don't know the reality of still feeling like an outsider two years later.

Having said that, I think its still mostly the transplants in Chicago that are in turn welcoming to other transplants. Native Chicagoands/Chicagolanders can and do have their own cliqueyness.
Southerners are some of the most fake people I have ever met. They aren't nice at all. They're obnoxious generally.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:

I wouldn't call many of the other large cities in the Midwest conservative. I know you were talking about Texas and Utah specifically, but still. Some of the Midwestern cities are, and some aren't. Minneapolis is probably just as socially liberal as Chicago, if not even more so than Chicago.

As a transplant to Chicago myself, albeit not a new one, I would say my friends are evenly split between those from Chicagoland and transplants. Since Chicago gets so many more transplants than virtually every other city in the Midwest, I think that helps the locals more, even if some of them can still be cliquey.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call many of the other large cities in the Midwest conservative. I know you were talking about Texas and Utah specifically, but still. Some of the Midwestern cities are, and some aren't. Minneapolis is probably just as socially liberal as Chicago, if not even more so than Chicago.

As a transplant to Chicago myself, albeit not a new one, I would say my friends are evenly split between those from Chicagoland and transplants. Since Chicago gets so many more transplants than virtually every other city in the Midwest, I think that helps the locals more, even if some of them can still be cliquey.
You are right about Minneapolis. I wasn't suggesting it was conservative. But that in general many states/cities/regions that are regarded as friendly often lean a little to the right.

But by and large they live in totally different neighborhoods. I mean does Edison Park residents (natives) really hang out with Lincoln park residents (transplants)? I mean those are the more opposite end of the spectrum - you do have places that are maybe a bit more mixed (say Lincoln Square) The fact that Chicago is so neighborhood focused, where many neighborhoods have a distinct type of person, that leads to maintaining specific ties.

Also upscale, vibrant transplants neighborhoods vary quite a bit too. Lincoln Park/Lakeview has more of that "Midwestern Big Ten graduate" feel, whereas Gold Coast/River North/Mag Mile feel a little more truly cosmopolitan the way famous glamorous neighborhoods in NYC/LA/SF would.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
You are right about Minneapolis. I wasn't suggesting it was conservative. But that in general many states/cities/regions that are regarded as friendly often lean a little to the right.

But by and large they live in totally different neighborhoods. I mean does Edison Park residents (natives) really hang out with Lincoln park residents (transplants)? I mean those are the more opposite end of the spectrum - you do have places that are maybe a bit more mixed (say Lincoln Square) The fact that Chicago is so neighborhood focused, where many neighborhoods have a distinct type of person, that leads to maintaining specific ties.

Also upscale, vibrant transplants neighborhoods vary quite a bit too. Lincoln Park/Lakeview has more of that "Midwestern Big Ten graduate" feel, whereas Gold Coast/River North/Mag Mile feel a little more truly cosmopolitan the way famous glamorous neighborhoods in NYC/LA/SF would.
Good observation. Though I would say that there are few if any native Chicagoans who lean even slightly to the right. Chicago is big blue my friend. Even the racist Whites like the South Side Irish (by stereotypes) are the old UAW types. Blue Dog. But not conservative. Chicago has never really had a conservative reputation. Even the Midwest transplants who move here are left leaning and sought to escape their conservative upbringing in the corn belt.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Good observation. Though I would say that there are few if any native Chicagoans who lean even slightly to the right. Chicago is big blue my friend. Even the racist Whites like the South Side Irish (by stereotypes) are the old UAW types. Blue Dog. But not conservative. Chicago has never really had a conservative reputation. Even the Midwest transplants who move here are left leaning and sought to escape their conservative upbringing in the corn belt.
Agreed

Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I have always found Chicagoans to be rude. They have a particularly bad rep on the west coast of Florida. I always hear people saying how nice they are so maybe Florida just gets the bad ones. I can say of the last two Chicagoans I met (one a co-worker, another a date) they were both rude people.
I worked with a Chicagoan for a year in Dayton, Ohio. One of the rudest people I have ever met. And very arrogant. Seemed to view non-Chicagoans as a lower order of humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago