Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Chicago people as nice as other Midwesterners?
Yes. Chicagoans are so nice like the rest of the Midwest. 52 53.61%
No. It's not New York but people are jerks regardless of the fact it's in the Midwest. 45 46.39%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 03:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Metro Detroit area seems to have some pretty nice people. Suburban Detroiters seem real easy to talk to if you want to chat about University of Michigan sports, Michigan State sports (depending on which of the schools they prefer), one of their pro teams or vacations to Northern Michigan. Where these people are arguably worse than Chicagoans is on the highways. These people will run you off the road, easily going 80+, 90+ in all kinds of cars from economy cars to muscle cars (Ford Mustangs are super common there) to huge pickup trucks (ie. Ford F150, etc.).
That's just Michigan in general. The left side of the mitten has it just as bad. Damn Northerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:10 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
That's just Michigan in general. The left side of the mitten has it just as bad. Damn Northerners.
Interestingly enough, the Metro Detroit area has been recovering quite a bit from the awful recession. I heard that it recently regained the distinction of being the #2 metro area (took it back from Minneapolis) in the Midwest in terms of GDP (after Chicago of course).

Going back to your initial question, however. I do think that many folks within the city limits of Chicago have a different air about them compared to the rest of the Midwest. Take this city population & ultimately you need to divide it into a few distinct groups. You have your native Chicagoans, kind of the Archie Bunkers of Chicago if you will. The old Irish types, firefighters, cops, etc. that usually reside in the bungalow belt these days. Then you have your more recent immigrant groups stretching from the bungalow belt to areas just beyond the trendy areas. Mexicans, folks from Poland, etc. Then of course you have the storied African-American community which dominates the South & West sides. But then finally you have the affluent transplants that inhabit the north side of the city closer to the lakeshore generally. Even in the middle of downtown Chicago you're bound to run into a cross-section of all of these groups, plus the frenzied Metra commuters from the suburbs. It is kind of an NYC-ish effect to have all these disparate groups converge in one small, dense centralized area. Other Midwest cities are far less crowded & more decentralized than Chicago. They also lack the solid public transportation network that Chicago enjoys.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Where's the sometimes option?

Funny thing is last weekend I entertained some people from Paris and Italy. One of the ladies from Italy was amazed at how friendly people were here in the way of "oh my god, you talk to them and they talk to you back on the streets" and stated that never happens where she's from in Italy on the streets.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,098 times
I moved to Chicago last month, from North Carolina. I feel people are ruder than ppl in NC. I agree with the word "big city jerks", because I used to live in Beijing, I know how big-city people are activing. That's why I am very much appreciate the kindness and nice feeling the NC people gave me.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:29 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
I hear this propaganda especially in places like Chicago; please note that I don't see it, just hear about it. It's a nice counter image to the rude, pushy and obnoxious people on the east coast. Of course there is no validity to it. I always though Rod & Potty-Mouth Patty Blagojevich were great examples of true Chicagoans. Nothing nice there.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:39 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Interestingly enough, the Metro Detroit area has been recovering quite a bit from the awful recession. I heard that it recently regained the distinction of being the #2 metro area (took it back from Minneapolis) in the Midwest in terms of GDP (after Chicago of course).

Going back to your initial question, however. I do think that many folks within the city limits of Chicago have a different air about them compared to the rest of the Midwest. Take this city population & ultimately you need to divide it into a few distinct groups. You have your native Chicagoans, kind of the Archie Bunkers of Chicago if you will. The old Irish types, firefighters, cops, etc. that usually reside in the bungalow belt these days. Then you have your more recent immigrant groups stretching from the bungalow belt to areas just beyond the trendy areas. Mexicans, folks from Poland, etc. Then of course you have the storied African-American community which dominates the South & West sides. But then finally you have the affluent transplants that inhabit the north side of the city closer to the lakeshore generally. Even in the middle of downtown Chicago you're bound to run into a cross-section of all of these groups, plus the frenzied Metra commuters from the suburbs. It is kind of an NYC-ish effect to have all these disparate groups converge in one small, dense centralized area. Other Midwest cities are far less crowded & more decentralized than Chicago. They also lack the solid public transportation network that Chicago enjoys.
Glad to hear Detroit is doing better and I hope the city itself stabilizes its population decline. It's pretty bad now, down to about 680,000 or so.

I'm interested to see what demographic changes are currently going on in Chicago. We all know about the lakefront areas, especially from Cermak or so north. The Archie Bunker types are still around but its numbers have declined. The white cops and city workers etc are still in decent numbers in the southwest side especially. Not sure about the Mexican and Polish still heading to Chicago proper, its suburbs or the region at all.

Chicago is not as dense as it once was. Not saying it will turn into tumbleweeds on the streets but it needs to get its debt issue under control and maintain or increase its middle class.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:21 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I hear this propaganda especially in places like Chicago; please note that I don't see it, just hear about it. It's a nice counter image to the rude, pushy and obnoxious people on the east coast. Of course there is no validity to it. I always though Rod & Potty-Mouth Patty Blagojevich were great examples of true Chicagoans. Nothing nice there.
OMG... I'm starting to believe you have some vendetta or some resentment for Chicago? Rather then EVER DEFEND ANY CITY? You merely downplay and continually give Chicago and Chicagoans slights....

It is not coincidence anymore. I guess it is C-D. Some defend a city in all threads they can. Others the opposite ALWAYS to a city. You then know its personal....... Just saying.

You're lucky you did not say.... Al Capone was a example of a native Chicagoan.... Being in reality. He was born and bred in NYC...... Are you friends with Chet.... Who use to demean Chicago in their threads who I don't see much any more...... just coincidence I'm sure...... I never found Chicagoans Rude.... and with so many transplants Downtown and areas through the North Shore and gentrified neighborhoods.... Who is a Typical Chicagoan there??? The accent was rare on the North side even when I lived in Chicago.

You visit almost as many Cleveland threads as Chicago ones.... and plenty of Ohio ones. So if in Chicago and seemingly unhappy or not what you hoped.... and from Cleveland? I think you know my suggestion. In a nice way....

Last edited by steeps; 10-24-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 09-16-2016, 06:02 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Honestly, I'd say for the most part Chicagoians are friendly, if sometimes being a little gruff. For those who've largely only visited the more touristy and also parts of Chicago that attract transplants to move there(i.e. River North, Lincoln Park, Lake View, Wicker Park), I could see why someone may not have been more fond of how friendly(and it bordered more on being unfriendly) some Chicagoians are.

I mean Chicago may not be as friendly as peer cities in other parts of the Midwest(i.e. Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis, etc), but I got a much more unfriendly and fast paced vibe when I visited NYC. Now if you want to talk about how unfriendly some can be, you can talk about NYC!

Old 09-17-2016, 01:55 PM

71 posts, read 86,647 times
People aren't particularly friendly in Chicago. They don't go out of their way to be rude, but there is just too many people you encounter on the streets to say hi or engage in small talk. People are just kind of short and distant here compared to most places.

They can also get edgy on the roads with all the traffic. It's more situational than it really is about the people themselves. Its just the nature of a big city.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:47 PM

575 posts, read 616,610 times
Minnesota nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago