Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 AM

5 posts, read 18,876 times

Advertisements

Aloha and advance thanks for your help. I'm transferring to Chicago from Hawaii in May and am absolutely clueless as to where to start looking for a place to live. I'm looking for somewhere that is/has:

~relatively safe for a woman to walk a dog alone
~walking distance to some fun bars
~vintage architecture (or at least an eclectic feel to the neighborhood)
~decent rent (around $1400-$1700 a month)

Based upon what I've read here I've been looking at the Lincoln Park/Old Town/Wicker Park areas, am I heading in the right direction for what I'm looking for?

Are there any other neighborhoods that may be worth looking at? I'll be working out of Calamut Harbor so I would like to keep the commute time down to around a 1/2 hour if possible....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooz cuz View Post
Boy, wish that was my idea of "decent"

Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooz cuz View Post
Aloha and advance thanks for your help. I'm transferring to Chicago from Hawaii in May and am absolutely clueless as to where to start looking for a place to live. I'm looking for somewhere that is/has:

~relatively safe for a woman to walk a dog alone
~walking distance to some fun bars
~vintage architecture (or at least an eclectic feel to the neighborhood)

Based upon what I've read here I've been looking at the Lincoln Park/Old Town/Wicker Park areas, am I heading in the right direction for what I'm looking for?

Are there any other neighborhoods that may be worth looking at? I'll be working out of Calamut Harbor so I would like to keep the commute time down to around a 1/2 hour if possible....

Thanks!

Those are good, also look at Lakeview.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Keep in mind just because an area is decent, that does not mean you should get sloshed and think you can walk home alone at any time of night and be safe. Perps like to lurk where and when people are least to expect them.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 AM

287 posts, read 1,027,866 times
I would say that all those neighborhoods fufill your requirements except maybe for the commute. If you're trying to keep your commute down you might want to try Hyde Park too, since you're working on the way south side.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:45 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
The Dan Ryan expressway is pretty fast these days. Still, working way down there might make the North Side unrealistic. Hyde Park is nice, but I think the South Loop might be more what you're looking for.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 AM

5 posts, read 18,876 times
Thanks again for everyones help, I know the housing subject has been beaten like a dead horse on this forum so thanks for taking the time to hook me up.

Sooo, with that being said I have a couple more questions.

What's the traffic situation like? I'm used to 1+ hours to go about 5 miles (no joke, Honolulu traffic is a nightmare.) Is it comparable/better (or worse)? Does the traffic flow with the city? (Rush in the morning to the city, rush in the afternoon out). Can I expect being gridlocked traveling down to Calumet from the city at 6-7 am?

Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
6am, no. 7am, yes, from the North side to downtown anyway. Rush hour starts to build at about 6:30am, so as long as you're past downtown by then, you should be OK. That's because traffic on the south side isn't too bad courtesy of the 14-lane Dan Ryan Expressway. No other part of the city has anything like a 14-lane expressway, so it flows pretty decently even during rush hour compared to the rest of the expressways and many parts of the tollways. But for the most part, there really isn't any such thing as a "reverse commute" any more. Traffic now sucks pretty equally in all directions during rush hour.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
6am, no. 7am, yes, from the North side to downtown anyway. Rush hour starts to build at about 6:30am, so as long as you're past downtown by then, you should be OK. That's because traffic on the south side isn't too bad courtesy of the 14-lane Dan Ryan Expressway. No other part of the city has anything like a 14-lane expressway, so it flows pretty decently even during rush hour compared to the rest of the expressways and many parts of the tollways. But for the most part, there really isn't any such thing as a "reverse commute" any more. Traffic now sucks pretty equally in all directions during rush hour.
Yeah, you're actually lucking out in terms of the expressway you'll be taking. Just a few months ago, really, the Dan Ryan was total mess (while this construction was underway). Now it's the best expressway in the city. If you're leaving even the North Side by 6, you can make some great (read "moving at quickly as speed limits allow") time down Lakeshore or the Kennedy and onto the Dan Ryan, on out to Calumet.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 AM

93 posts, read 367,473 times
I think regardless of North or South side, as long as you're not too far from the Red Line you'll be alright.

I would NOT recommend Hyde Park, South loop is a better recommendation, but there's not exactly a whole lot going on there right now. It's in sort of a rehabilitation as a neighborhood. It's up and coming, maybe isn't super exciting now, but it should develop to a nice area in the next few years. Nice areas like wicker park/bucktown used to be in this rehabilitation stage and is now a pretty happening area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: