Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:46 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,397,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngurbanprofessional View Post
I think regardless of North or South side, as long as you're not too far from the Red Line you'll be alright.

I would NOT recommend Hyde Park, South loop is a better recommendation, but there's not exactly a whole lot going on there right now. It's in sort of a rehabilitation as a neighborhood. It's up and coming, maybe isn't super exciting now, but it should develop to a nice area in the next few years. Nice areas like wicker park/bucktown used to be in this rehabilitation stage and is now a pretty happening area.
Hmm. Some caveats here.

First, I can't agree with the "as long as you're close to the red line" logic. There are several Red Line stops towards the south end of the line that I'd feel pretty uncomfortable living near.

Also, Hyde Park isn't the neighborhood I'd recommend based on what you asked, but to categorize it as 'in rehab' is off the mark. The area of Hyde Park around the U of C has some truly beautiful homes and has been one of the more prestigious areas of the city for a long time. The areas away from U of C get sketchier, but to categorize it all as "in rehab" is misleading.

Hyde Park has beautiful parks and museum space. There are lots of cool people, both affiliated with U of C and just drawn to the area. I like Hyde Park a lot. Still, for a young professional looking for urban life with easy access to the far south side, I'd recommend the South Loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
I think he meant to say that the South Loop is a rehab area, not Hyde Park. Of course, "rehab" implies that you're rehabilitating the existing housing stock; I'd call the South Loop more of a "bulldoze and restart from scratch" neighborhood, but maybe that's just semantics.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 PM

Oh. Okay. I totally misread that post.

I actually agree with that post even less upon reread.

Hyde Park is pretty great and deserves more than an "I wouldn't recommend it". Like I say, I don't think it's right for the OP, but it's a nice area, albeit surrounded by questionable areas. And to give a rubber stamp to areas around the Red Line while not giving any love to HP is just silly.

South Loop is NOTHING like Wicker Park. Drover is right. It's not a rehab area. It's a tear down area. New high rises. Lots of potential, but I see it becoming more like, say, Streeterville than Wicker Park.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 18,896 times
I was thinking about Hyde park, but based upon what I've heard about the surrounding area I think I'll steer clear until I get a little more familiar with what areas are where. Nothing says "mug me" like pulling out a street map in a bad hood =)

On another note (and yes, another question!) I'm really looking forward to the music scene and nightlife aspect of Chicago (it's virtually impossible to get a decent band to tour in Hawaii). My decision to live in the Wicker Park/Old Town areas is mainly motivated by my desire to be in an area where there's always something going on. Is there a good website or local paper that shows upcoming gigs or concerts?

Once again THANK YOU for all your help. So far you fantastic people are the only folks I know in Chicago so it's reassuring to know that people like yourselves are willing to help out a stranger like me.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooz cuz View Post
I was thinking about Hyde park, but based upon what I've heard about the surrounding area I think I'll steer clear until I get a little more familiar with what areas are where. Nothing says "mug me" like pulling out a street map in a bad hood =)

On another note (and yes, another question!) I'm really looking forward to the music scene and nightlife aspect of Chicago (it's virtually impossible to get a decent band to tour in Hawaii). My decision to live in the Wicker Park/Old Town areas is mainly motivated by my desire to be in an area where there's always something going on. Is there a good website or local paper that shows upcoming gigs or concerts?

Once again THANK YOU for all your help. So far you fantastic people are the only folks I know in Chicago so it's reassuring to know that people like yourselves are willing to help out a stranger like me.
The Chicago Reader used to be one of the best free weeklies in the country, but has gone downhill in the last few years. They just got bought by Creative Loafing, too. Still, it's one of the best resources for what's going on. Chicago Reader Online Features

Also, Timeout Chicago. Time Out Chicago: Chicago News, Events, and Entertainment

Old 01-29-2008, 08:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngurbanprofessional View Post
I think regardless of North or South side, as long as you're not too far from the Red Line you'll be alright.

I would NOT recommend Hyde Park, South loop is a better recommendation, but there's not exactly a whole lot going on there right now. It's in sort of a rehabilitation as a neighborhood. It's up and coming, maybe isn't super exciting now, but it should develop to a nice area in the next few years. Nice areas like wicker park/bucktown used to be in this rehabilitation stage and is now a pretty happening area.
I would not live anywhere near the Red Line south of the Cermak stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: