Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If it's good, it's good, chain or not.
On that note, I would say that Mastro's is the hands-down winner.

It's atrociously expensive but in terms of downtown steakhouses I think it pretty much does everything better than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:33 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
perhaps but i still dont see the point of going to a capital grille if youre in a new city

steaks arent hard to do well and as the list on Pg. 1 shows, plenty do in this town, so might as well go somewhere local and get a somewhat unique experience

honestly im still kind of blown away by the popularity of steakhouses. i dont really know anyone who eats like this reguarly, but clearly enough people do as it seems new places are still opening every month

(dont get me wrong i love a good steak now and then, but its a once a year thing)

Old 08-03-2015, 02:02 PM

71 posts, read 105,574 times
Another vote for Joe's. I've never, ever, had a bad steak there. And personally, I felt GnG was just 'meh'.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
perhaps but i still dont see the point of going to a capital grille if youre in a new city

steaks arent hard to do well and as the list on Pg. 1 shows, plenty do in this town, so might as well go somewhere local and get a somewhat unique experience

honestly im still kind of blown away by the popularity of steakhouses. i dont really know anyone who eats like this reguarly, but clearly enough people do as it seems new places are still opening every month

(dont get me wrong i love a good steak now and then, but its a once a year thing)
Agree. Given the title, "Chicago's" best steakhouse. I was excluding even mentioning Ruth Chris, Morton's, etc. because you can find those in many other cities. This thread has been good because it does show that there are plenty local, good steakhouses in Chicago, including many I wasn't aware of.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:59 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
You and I will differ on this one. If you're going to a world class city and want to experience some of the unique dining, you don't go to a chain restaurant that you can find in 50 other cities. What's unique about that?

Now, if you just want a steak at a price and you pretty much know what you'll get in terms of quality, service, atmosphere, etc, then sure, go to a chain like Ruth Chris.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
You and I will differ on this one. If you're going to a world class city and want to experience some of the unique dining, you don't go to a chain restaurant that you can find in 50 other cities. What's unique about that?

Now, if you just want a steak at a price and you pretty much know what you'll get in terms of quality, service, atmosphere, etc, then sure, go to a chain like Ruth Chris.
Agreed to a point, but the beef likely comes from the same few suppliers, anyway.

Homogeneity is pretty hard to avoid in this day and age.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
I personally think steak houses are a waste of money. There are way too many interesting restaurants in Chicago thatvare preferable to wasting money and time on a steakhouse.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post

The thread topic doesn't ask for unique steakhouses. It asks for the best ones.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Funny thing though...

Quote:
The thread topic doesn't ask for unique steakhouses. It asks for the best ones.
The lists that I linked to at Thrillist, where they only have local spots and even Chicago Mag, that has several chain spots listed, fail to give many points to places like Ruth's Chris. For me, the scoop of butter on top of the steak is worse than a gimmick, it is sort of an abomination. The traditional wet edged Chicago steakhouse cut of Ribeye, Strip or Sirloin ought to have your plate positively swimming in wonderfully beefy natural juices -- those juices, with an unmistakable balance of salty, fatty, and char are a delight sopped up with baked potato.

I also can give props to places like Burkes that really do a superlative job with their dry aged cuts, and the price almost makes sense given the time and weight loss that effects such preparations. You need different sides and wines to really accentuate the much more distinctive flavors of a dry aged steak and again those are nicely done at Burkes and other spots high on the list.

While I agree that Ruth's Chris does use mostly quality cuts, there is a certain kind of disrespect for the product when the end result is having meat sitting in a pool of butter, which let's not kid ourselves is just fat afterall, and it sort of tells me that the folks that run the place almost have contempt for their customers...

Old 08-04-2015, 01:18 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I personally think steak houses are a waste of money. There are way too many interesting restaurants in Chicago thatvare preferable to wasting money and time on a steakhouse.
not to mention, its one of those foods that any home chef can replicate "restaurant quality" as long as youre shelling out for a good cut and know how to cook it to your liking. theres not much to it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago