Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:30 PM

12 posts, read 11,807 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm, along with my wife and 8 month old, relocating from suburban NY by mid August at the latest for work. I was originally looking at the suburbs outside of Chicago as that is what we're used to but we'd like to do closer to Chicago even if only for our first year (while avoiding the sketchy Chicago). I'll be in town as of this Monday to view rentals and am particularly enamored with an apartment in the West Ridge neighborhood. When I searched the forum everything seems to be incredibly old threads so I'd like to hear native thoughts on the neighborhood as it stands in 2015. My job would be in Rosemont (I've been told traffic heading west is terrible and that suburbs to rosemont would be easier), and my budget is roughly $1,500 a month.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:48 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,021 times
Well go west to the neighborhoods towards O'Hare airport, there they are the boring White neighborhoods with high senior citizens. Jefferson Park, Forest Glen, Portage Park, etc.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:09 AM

29 posts, read 27,976 times
West Ridge is okay - pretty diverse actually, but I wouldn't call it particularly really nice. It's decent - not bad, not great. What's the $1500/month for - 2 bedrooms? I'd honestly look more at an area like Lincoln Square/Ravenswood more. Very safe - walkable, etc. A lot of young families in the area. Irving Park/Old Irving Park too.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Well go west to the neighborhoods towards O'Hare airport, there they are the boring White neighborhoods with high senior citizens. Jefferson Park, Forest Glen, Portage Park, etc.
Out of those I've heard of Forest Glen, I'll see what's available. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwwwc View Post
West Ridge is okay - pretty diverse actually, but I wouldn't call it particularly really nice. It's decent - not bad, not great. What's the $1500/month for - 2 bedrooms? I'd honestly look more at an area like Lincoln Square/Ravenswood more. Very safe - walkable, etc. A lot of young families in the area. Irving Park/Old Irving Park too.
That seems to be the impression I got from old threads. It's not a crime ridden area but it isn't squeaky clean either. The $1500 is my budget, I'd like at least 2 bedrooms. The apartment I found in West Ridge is $1450 for 3 bedrooms 2 baths and around 1800 sqft so that's one of the better deals I've found in all of Chicago so far before physically going. I'd hate to give that up but if it's a not ideal neighborhood for a young new family I'll keep looking in the neighborhoods suggested.

Another apartment I found is in Rogers Park on N Winchester. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Chicagobound87; 07-12-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 07:18 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,530 times
Winchester and what?

Old 07-12-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Winchester and what?
From the looks on the map it's borderd to the south by W Fargo ave, to the north by W Birchwood ave, and N Wolcott Ave to the east. Hope that makes sense.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:43 AM

I would personally pass but that's because I live near there but closer to the lake and am currently concentrating on relocating. The west side of my neighborhood is a bit better than the east but if you'll be accessing the amenities (Jewel, Howard Station, etc) at all, it can be a bit chaotic. I thought I wouldn't mind at first, but I've grown to dislike it.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I would personally pass but that's because I live near there but closer to the lake and am currently concentrating on relocating. The west side of my neighborhood is a bit better than the east but if you'll be accessing the amenities (Jewel, Howard Station, etc) at all, it can be a bit chaotic. I thought I wouldn't mind at first, but I've grown to dislike it.
Thanks for the insight, specific address is 7415 N Winchester ave if that helps glean anything else. What do you mean by "chaotic", and I assume you mean the public transport. Is this a "rough area"? Also looking at other places, it's just damn tough having never been to Chicago and accepting the relocation blindly. I have a lot of viewing to do this coming week...

Old 07-12-2015, 08:04 AM

Some tools I use... when looking for a place and I live here.

I also create a massive Excel sheet with info on each unit. Address, unit number, etc. I also list all the amenities I can think of that I want/need for example: elevator vs walk-up, Central A/C, patio, updated, etc. For each amenity that a unit has, I give a "1" for a yes and "0" For a No. The unit with the most "1" scores wins out. I also write down the crime score (total number of crime incidents in the last 2 weeks) and walk score.

Chicago Crime Data... looks you look at max 2 weeks and within a 1/2 mile radius of an address
Chicago Police Department CLEARMAP - Crime Incidents

Walk Score
https://www.walkscore.com

And Neighborhood Info
EveryBlock Chicago

DNA Info also does news based on neighborhood which is useful

Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM

29 posts, read 27,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobound87 View Post
That seems to be the impression I got from old threads. It's not a crime ridden area but it isn't squeaky clean either. The $1500 is my budget, I'd like at least 2 bedrooms. The apartment I found in West Ridge is $1450 for 3 bedrooms 2 baths and around 1800 sqft so that's one of the better deals I've found in all of Chicago so far before physically going. I'd hate to give that up but if it's a not ideal neighborhood for a young new family I'll keep looking in the neighborhoods suggested.

Another apartment I found is in Rogers Park on N Winchester. Any thoughts?
Well, there's a lot of residential streets (and all over Chicago) that's clean and that's no exception in West Ridge. The residential streets there are no different than in any normal, thriving neighborhood of town. Devon Avenue is basically Little India for a ways and it's not squeeky clean but it's not like a dirty scene you'd find in NYC or anything. It's not a bad area though at all honestly. If it was more connected to the train lines, I'd be more apt to live there.

With your budget, you could get something easily I'd wager in Irving Park, which is right on the expressway and not terribly far from Rosemont. Even in really heavy traffic from Rosemont, you're going to get to the exit in like 15-25 minutes probably. Your budget will fit in there no problem:

3648 W Berteau Ave # 1, Chicago, IL 60618 is For Rent | Zillow

Lincoln Square/Ravenswood:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2107012347_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago