Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 12,056 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just found out 2 days ago that my husband got a job in Kapolei, he works for the US Govt. I am still in shock, but no after reading posts regarding the dislike of mainlanders, I am also afraid.

We are from Minnesota, of all places, my husband is hispanic, so dark-skinned, my 2 younger children are dark-skinned as well, but I am very fair stereotypical Minnesota mutt(German, Norwegian, Finnish and Swedish), blond, green eyed, and my 15 year old son is light brown eyed, tans well, dark haired. I am an adult, I don't worry so much about myself, but I worry about my son. As a parent, one of your worst fears is having someone pick on, or worse, beat up your child. He is not aggressive at all, pretty shy, not an athlete, very artistic, in reading over some of these discussions, I am just terrified for him.

I have so many reservations about moving, aside from the suddenes(less than 2 months!!)the cost of living, the culture shock, leaving my job, finding a job, finding suitable housing, now I am mostly worried about how my family will find acceptance. We are kind people, we are respectful people, we have taught our children to be as well, we are accepting, we mind our own business, but I fear that will not even matter.

Any idea how this will be for us? Especially my son? And not having been able to do a lot of research yet, how is Kapolei to live?work? And how are the schools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotanice View Post
Hi, I just found out 2 days ago that my husband got a job in Kapolei, he works for the US Govt. I am still in shock, but no after reading posts regarding the dislike of mainlanders, I am also afraid.

We are from Minnesota, of all places, my husband is hispanic, so dark-skinned, my 2 younger children are dark-skinned as well, but I am very fair stereotypical Minnesota mutt(German, Norwegian, Finnish and Swedish), blond, green eyed, and my 15 year old son is light brown eyed, tans well, dark haired. I am an adult, I don't worry so much about myself, but I worry about my son. As a parent, one of your worst fears is having someone pick on, or worse, beat up your child. He is not aggressive at all, pretty shy, not an athlete, very artistic, in reading over some of these discussions, I am just terrified for him.

I have so many reservations about moving, aside from the suddenes(less than 2 months!!)the cost of living, the culture shock, leaving my job, finding a job, finding suitable housing, now I am mostly worried about how my family will find acceptance. We are kind people, we are respectful people, we have taught our children to be as well, we are accepting, we mind our own business, but I fear that will not even matter.

Any idea how this will be for us? Especially my son? And not having been able to do a lot of research yet, how is Kapolei to live?work? And how are the schools? Thanks!

I am with you on this one, except we are typical irish/german decent. Blond hair, blue eyes, fair skinned. Just found out that my husband has landed a job in Maui, great pay and benefits,but I am very nervous for my kids. Which is sad, that shouldnt be a part of it. I am really torn, on the one hand I loved Hawaii when we went there on our honeymoon,then the other is fear for my kids at school.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
My company did the Aeloa Terrace and a few phases of Kapolei Villages a few years back in Kapolei. I really like it out there, although it does get rather hot in the summer. ( I guess nothing like what they have in SoCal right now) You'll like it, the waterpark is out there, great beaches out at Ko'olina, shopping center nearby. Makakilo is up the hill, cool nights and great views. If I didn't like Nuuanu so much I'ld be out that side. But if you're working in Honolulu, Kapolei can be a hell of a commute. And all of the schools are pretty much brand new!

Aloha

Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 PM

312 posts, read 1,639,079 times
Quote:
My first thought is your family will be fine. You son should be okay, as he looks hapa, which loosely means he's half white/half Hawaiian, Asian, Island-Pacificer. In my experience, kids (and adults) who do experience the problems are typically blonde/blue-eyed.

Kapolei side is nice, if I was going to live that side, I would look in Makakilo or Kapolei. I would avoid Ewa (too crowded) and do NOT go West of Kapolei. You could also look at Waikele or Kunia, which are between Kapolei and Honolulu.

They are still building Kapolei as the "second city" on Oahu. There many businesses out here and offices.

My co-worker lives in Kapolei I will ask about the schools. All the school are "new" which is good, at least they are not run down.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 PM

62 posts, read 332,490 times
Hi there,

We just made the move to Oahu. We did it because my husband was offered a great job and there was no way I could tell him to pass up the opportunity. Plus, we had traveled many times to the islands and always loved it. So far things are working out just fine - and I am sure they will for your family too. We live in East Oahu in an area called Hawaii Kai, it is diverse but haole friendly. I don't know much about Kapolei, but I know it has many new homes and is more affordable than some of the other areas on the island (both good things!).

I have a six year old daughter who started first grade on Aug. 1st. She is a text book haole with blond hair and blue eyes. She tells me all the time how much she loves her school, teacher, etc. She has made a few friends but tells me certain girls won't play with her. She does not understand why. It is not a mean/bullying thing, more just exclusion and ignoring. I tell her to just keep being her nice, friendly self. I do the same thing with the other moms. Just walk in every day with a smile and say "hi" to all. Most times hardly anyone responds, but oh, well, I keep trying. I figure over time we will wear them down with our friendliness!

My feeling is, it is a multicultural world we live in. Children who grow up in Hawaii get a front row seat for that. My daughter will learn that beauty comes in many different shades, that different families have different traditions that deserve respect, that the world is a big, diverse, exciting place.

I really like living here. It is a unique experience and I feel lucky to get to try it. The beauty of the place just hits you in waves. Amazing flowers, birds, the sunshine, beaches, rainbows and on and on. You feel drunk on it. Or, maybe that's just me - lol!

Take care and the best of luck to you and your family!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:11 PM

690 posts, read 2,629,523 times
Flowermom, your attitude is lovely and refreshing. I personally think that if more folks that moved to Hawaii took your sort of attitude with them, they'd complain of much less. Aloha!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 PM

126 posts, read 688,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJones View Post
Flowermom, your attitude is lovely and refreshing. I personally think that if more folks that moved to Hawaii took your sort of attitude with them, they'd complain of much less. Aloha!
Actually, I think just about everyone who moves to Hawaii does arrive with this attitude.

AS to the OP, I think you will find your experience much like flower mom. Most people who move to Hawaii find it a positive experience, even if they decide to go back to the mainland. The schools discussed were more rural schools in areas with a lot of locals.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 12,056 times
Thank you all so much for your input, I really appreciate it! You have put me at ease. We are pretty laid back, easy going people, we embrace diversity(being a mixed race family and all...)and do our best to find the positive side of everything. My biggest concern was, maybe still is, for my teenager, those are hard years anyway, but I think he will do ok. I don't think he will stand out too much, and he isn't a kid who acts like he is better than anyone, I hope that will be a plus.

Again, thank you all, I am starting to get excited about moving, now I just have to wrap my head around the fact that there are no Targets in hawaii.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Again, thank you all, I am starting to get excited about moving, now I just have to wrap my head around the fact that there are no Targets in hawaii.
A couple of Target stores are scheduled to open in Hawai'i in March 2009.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...706150375.html

Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
Minnesota,
You'll like Kapolei, get a place way up in Makakilo, one of my employees had a home up there with a fireplace that he actually used in the wintertime. Just make sure your car has good brakes, or use low gear heading down, it's pretty steep! Safeway and Longs are right at the bottom of the hill, on the oher side of the H1. And I wouldn't worry about your kids, I'm sure they'll do fine.

Aloha and okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu