Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 14,528 times

Advertisements

Hello..... I am thinking about moving to Hawaii from Denver and I need some advice as to weither its a good idea or not. I have visited honolulu and now I want to move out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 AM

115 posts, read 665,401 times
Do your homework first! A lot of people just go there on vacation, fall in love with the atmosphere, people, island ways and decide to stay there.

Is there going to be employment for you? Will you be able to afford a place to stay with the money you might be earning? Will you be able to afford the move over there? Will you survive on a rock knowing you have to fly a long ways to visit your family?

Good luck with your decisions: It takes a lot of hard work and lots of thinking...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:19 AM

Thank you. Yes I have a job in the medical field through my company that I work for now. BUt im not too sure how different the cost of living is out there from Denver. Thats what I am kind of worried about. It'll be hard to leave my family but I dont have kids and im single so....

Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 AM

259 posts, read 1,919,851 times
Hawaii Is The Second Most Expensive Place To Live In The Us....right Behind San Franscisco....we Did Exactly As The Previous Post Said And Visited Here, Fell In Love With Hawaii And Moved Here Five Months Later. Now We Are In The Process Of Moving Off The Island As 80% Of Mainlanders Do Within A Year And A Half....lots Of Thinking, Money And Getting Used To Another Culture Is Your Best Bet...we Will Miss Hawaii , But We'll Be Able To Visit Twice A Year At The Rate Of Money We'll Be Saving In Another State...."so You Want To Live In Hawaii" Is A Great Book And Very True To It's Words! Ps...a Head Of Lettuce Is $4.00 Just A Clue About Grocery Prices....

Old 05-17-2007, 11:11 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,718,592 times
Crystal17, I live in Denver also. We will be moving to our retirement home on the Big Island in three years, and have visited many times. Email me through Private Messenger if you want to chat.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Wow! THat is a big difference in groceries. I really appreciate your help with all of this! I am just tired of Denver and I want to go else where already and I have been waiting for an opening to open up for me either in Hawaii of California and this is the first one so I thought I would take a shot at it but I definately dont want to get myself in a bind because I will be out there by myself. Thank you for all your help

Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 8,574 times
Default Thinking about moving to hawaii?

My wife and I have recently moved to Kauai and have loved it thus far. Food is expensive, but not bad if your willing to adjust your menu and maybe pick some fruit from a wild banana or mango tree here and there. we have been here almost 2 weeks and its amazing. My wife Emilie was the big reason why we moved. Her hard work landed her a teaching job, thus giving us the financial security to make the plunge into the Pacific Ocean. [mod]Personal blogs are not allowed here.[/mod]

Mahalo!

Cory and Emilie

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-02-2011 at 04:53 AM..

Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 591,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRIE View Post
Hawaii Is The Second Most Expensive Place To Live In The Us....right Behind San Franscisco....we Did Exactly As The Previous Post Said And Visited Here, Fell In Love With Hawaii And Moved Here Five Months Later. Now We Are In The Process Of Moving Off The Island As 80% Of Mainlanders Do Within A Year And A Half....lots Of Thinking, Money And Getting Used To Another Culture Is Your Best Bet...we Will Miss Hawaii , But We'll Be Able To Visit Twice A Year At The Rate Of Money We'll Be Saving In Another State...."so You Want To Live In Hawaii" Is A Great Book And Very True To It's Words! Ps...a Head Of Lettuce Is $4.00 Just A Clue About Grocery Prices....
Iceberg???

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM

159 posts, read 368,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Iceberg???
Old post but I just paid $1.69 in Waianae...homemade tacos.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,487 times
I am wondering what the job field of a graphic designer looks like out there. I have an associates degree in visual communications and wanna know if I could land a job and how hard it would be to do so. I have lived in Indiana my whole life and I hate the winters! Help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: