Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM

12 posts, read 11,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Some tools I use... when looking for a place and I live here.

I also create a massive Excel sheet with info on each unit. Address, unit number, etc. I also list all the amenities I can think of that I want/need for example: elevator vs walk-up, Central A/C, patio, updated, etc. For each amenity that a unit has, I give a "1" for a yes and "0" For a No. The unit with the most "1" scores wins out. I also write down the crime score (total number of crime incidents in the last 2 weeks) and walk score.

Chicago Crime Data... looks you look at max 2 weeks and within a 1/2 mile radius of an address
Chicago Police Department CLEARMAP - Crime Incidents

Walk Score
https://www.walkscore.com

And Neighborhood Info
EveryBlock Chicago

DNA Info also does news based on neighborhood which is useful
Great pragmatic approach. I look into neighborhoods with those tools, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwwwc View Post
Well, there's a lot of residential streets (and all over Chicago) that's clean and that's no exception in West Ridge. The residential streets there are no different than in any normal, thriving neighborhood of town. Devon Avenue is basically Little India for a ways and it's not squeeky clean but it's not like a dirty scene you'd find in NYC or anything. It's not a bad area though at all honestly. If it was more connected to the train lines, I'd be more apt to live there.

With your budget, you could get something easily I'd wager in Irving Park, which is right on the expressway and not terribly far from Rosemont. Even in really heavy traffic from Rosemont, you're going to get to the exit in like 15-25 minutes probably. Your budget will fit in there no problem:

3648 W Berteau Ave # 1, Chicago, IL 60618 is For Rent | Zillow

Lincoln Square/Ravenswood:
2177 W Giddings St, Chicago, IL 60625 is For Rent | Zillow
Thanks for elaborating. I'll keep looking around Irving Park, as that neighborhood seems to keep getting mentioned. Thanks for the listing, as well.

Any more advice, listings, insight, etc would be greatly appreciated. Packing and getting the family ready today, Chicago bound tomorrow morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 09:23 AM

29 posts, read 27,982 times
Irving Park is a more subdued family neighborhood. Maybe less nice complete home remodels there or new homes than a Lincoln Square, but still the neighborhood is pretty family oriented. I'd say walk around these neighborhoods and see if you like them. You'll also be able to see for rent signs up probably too. Zillow, Domu, Rent.com are all good sites for this.

And I'd still say to check out West Ridge. Just depends on where. The neighborhood has a lot of Indians, Pakistanis, Assyrian Iraqi, and Hasidic Jews.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 PM

Man West Ridge was a lot less nice than I'd hoped. It seemed pretty low income with a few gutted and rehabbed apartments sprinkled throughout. I would not walk around there at night nor would I want my wife and kid walking around there.

Irving Park on the other hand is beautiful. Found some listings I'm setting up. Evanston seemed nice too, just felt like it was well off but no amenities near by (no cafes, restaurants, public transport, etc).

Old 07-13-2015, 09:09 PM

92 posts, read 99,348 times
Don't know where in Evanston you were. There is lots of public transit in Evanston along the CTA rail line east of Ridge. There are also plenty of cafes and restaurants but they are geographically limited to the main business districts: downtown, Main St. near Chicago Ave and to some extent east of Main and McCormick. I would think Evanston would be more of what you are looking for more than West Ridge, if you can handle the added commute. Much better options for extracurricular activities for young kids too. Robert Crown Ice Center is well regarded. Irving Park would be easier for your commute.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobound87 View Post
Man West Ridge was a lot less nice than I'd hoped. It seemed pretty low income with a few gutted and rehabbed apartments sprinkled throughout. I would not walk around there at night nor would I want my wife and kid walking around there.

Irving Park on the other hand is beautiful. Found some listings I'm setting up. Evanston seemed nice too, just felt like it was well off but no amenities near by (no cafes, restaurants, public transport, etc).
If you get a chance to look at it, I'd recommend actually going to downtown Evanston next time. It's full of the amenities you listed, and the Purple Line and the Metra both run right through it.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:51 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Well go west to the neighborhoods towards O'Hare airport, there they are the boring White neighborhoods with high senior citizens. Jefferson Park, Forest Glen, Portage Park, etc.
So THAT'S the smell coming from the unit above me. Well, granny WAS a hippie...

Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
And on a more serious note, definitely check out Irving Park - but try to look near Old Irving/The Villa (which would be WEST of Elston. If you're working in Rosemont, the CTA blue line goes out there. You might be able to pick up a shuttle or local CTA/PACE bus at the terminal to get to work.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:47 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
If you get a chance to look at it, I'd recommend actually going to downtown Evanston next time. It's full of the amenities you listed, and the Purple Line and the Metra both run right through it.
The amenities in Evanston are concentrated around Church and Davis, Central Street west of Ridge, Dempster street west of Chicago and Main Street around Chicago avenue.

Purple line stops are east - at Sherman Street and Chicago Avenue. The Metra station is just a bit west on Central Street, at Church and Davis and at Main Street.

Restaurants are, imo, great. I love Blind Faith, Mt. Everest, the Flat Top Grill, Olive Mountain, and of course, Giordano's Pizza. I also love Cross-Rhodes (close to Main street) for authentic and inexpensive Greek food. The owners immigrated from Greece. For a quick hotdog, nothing beats Mustard's Last Stand (not a sit down place, but fun). There are lots more - too many to list.
30 Best Evanston Restaurants on TripAdvisor - See 244 restaurants in Evanston, IL with 4,101 reviews

In the summer, there are art festivals and craft fairs and concerts.
Festivals & Concerts | City of Evanston

Northwestern also has free events.
Events and Programs: Neighborhood and Community Relations - Northwestern University
Program - Evanston: Martin Luther King, Jr. - Northwestern University

The park district has many activities as well. Crown Center's Ice Skating Rink has public hours and is inexpensive especially if you have your own skates. The district offers an exchange with Skokie's pool - they can use Evanston beaches and Evanston residents can use their pool. We also have a YMCA and YWCA for pools with memberships. There is a first run movie theater and Evanston is close enough to Wilmette that you can also go to the Wilmette movie theater for eclectic programs not just movies. Northwestern also offers student movies cheap and open to the public. There is live theater as well with Piccolo being a favorite of mine for comedy. Piccolo Theatre specializes in the commedia dell'Arte and British Panto styles of theater, though we do not limit ourselves to those traditions. Northlight Theater is in Skokie now, but began in Evanston and is not far away. The Ridgeville Park district does Shakespeare in the park in the summer too.

Evanston Life / Recreation & Arts Activities - Recreation | City of Evanston

I miss Evanston.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:40 AM

What's everyone's feelings on Albany park? Found a rental there we liked yesterday. The area leading up to it looked like lower income Hispanic neighborhoods but the street itself was quiet and well kept.

Going to Irving park again today to look at some rentals. Irving park was "young" looking , and we're a young couple. We'll relook at Evanston. Some new coworkers said there were some rougher areas of Evanston. Oak Park was gorgeous but listed rentals were either too small or too expensive.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
So THAT'S the smell coming from the unit above me. Well, granny WAS a hippie...
Amazing how time marches on. To me, "granny" will always be someone born around the turn of the century, not some aging 1960s relic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago