Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,118 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Chicago or anywhere near there. I was just there visiting a freind from there for a couple days. We are both Mexican. We went at a Neighborhood where lots of people are Polish and most of the signs and restaurantes and stores are in Polish.

However, I felt like the people there weren't very friendly in the stores. As soon as I entered the store the atmosphere felt kinda hostile in fact, and well I ignored it. Then, I was walking around the store looking what was there, while he was waiting in line ordering some cheese. In there, I dunno why but the lady (owner or manager) was following me. I tried to loose here but I dunno she followed me like as if I was going to steal something.

My friend told me that this happens often with the people who don't look Polish or white. I'm the typical mestizo Mexican both in phenotype and genotype, and well they don't have good relations with Mexicans or the Black African American community much less.

I just wonder why though and if this is true and normal. I'm from a small city called Idaho Falls, I think it's less diverse, less liberal, also it's in one of the most conservative red republican states in the nation and yet I've never felt discrimination like in Chicago. In fact people here are usually nice to me if I am nice to them, never really felt discriminated here so much....I thought Chicago being the 3rd largest city, liberal/progressive, and one of the most diverse cities in the world, this would not happen but I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:17 PM

596 posts, read 820,533 times
Do you wear baggy pants without a belt and have tattoos on your face and neck?

If you present yourself in a respectable way then there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by probablyimnotsure; 07-05-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 10:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I'm not from Chicago or anywhere near there. I was just there visiting a freind from there for a couple days. We are both Mexican. We went at a Neighborhood where lots of people are Polish and most of the signs and restaurantes and stores are in Polish.

However, I felt like the people there weren't very friendly in the stores. As soon as I entered the store the atmosphere felt kinda hostile in fact, and well I ignored it. Then, I was walking around the store looking what was there, while he was waiting in line ordering some cheese. In there, I dunno why but the lady (owner or manager) was following me. I tried to loose here but I dunno she followed me like as if I was going to steal something.

My friend told me that this happens often with the people who don't look Polish or white. I'm the typical mestizo Mexican both in phenotype and genotype, and well they don't have good relations with Mexicans or the Black African American community much less.

I just wonder why though and if this is true and normal. I'm from a small city called Idaho Falls, I think it's less diverse, less liberal, also it's in one of the most conservative red republican states in the nation and yet I've never felt discrimination like in Chicago. In fact people here are usually nice to me if I am nice to them, never really felt discriminated here so much....I thought Chicago being the 3rd largest city, liberal/progressive, and one of the most diverse cities in the world, this would not happen but I'm wrong.
Unlikely. Depending on what neighborhood you were in, a lot of them have gone from like 80-90 percent Polish to 80-90 percent Hispanic in a matter of 20 years. Except for Portage Park, Dunning and Jefferson Park, the Poles left in Cragin and Hermosa and other neighborhoods around there are basically relatively small minorities in Mexican American neighborhoods now.

But the Polish ethnic shops do tend to be frequented by, well, Poles. I hate to say it but if a shop owner was profiling you, it could be based on past experience. Most shop owners don't willingly intimidate potential customers away.

But, on average, Poles tend to be very stoic, reserved people, to the point where they can seem unfriendly. But it's just the culture.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,547 times
This happened to me too by a Mexican store manager at the Staples on 47th and Pulaski before it closed. Of course, he probably thought I was a gang banger. But before that he approached me asked if I needed anything, said no, then he kept following me a distance.

But what do I care. It might have been cold weather so I was wearing gray sweaters with the hoodie off.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 AM

216 posts, read 313,847 times
I am not White and I have experienced a little bit of the same thing when I first started shopping at Polish delis. My read on it is that it's less about racism and more about suspicion of outsiders. I used to get unfriendly looks until the store owners started recognizing me, then I got treated the same as everyone else. Polish people are also less superficially friendly than the typical Anglo/German midwesterner. I find it refreshing actually, they don't go around with a big fake smile on their faces all the time.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:52 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
I know several South Side Mexican-Polish marriages (and quite a few Mexican-Irish ones too). It's my experience that most working class Euro ethnics in Chicago admire the Mexican work ethic, accept Mexicans as equals and get along with them on easy and familiar terms.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:59 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
I would say they (Polish) are more "Clanish" than racist. As are a lot of ethnic groups.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,103,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I know several South Side Mexican-Polish marriages (and quite a few Mexican-Irish ones too). It's my experience that most working class Euro ethnics in Chicago admire the Mexican work ethic, accept Mexicans as equals and get along with them on easy and familiar terms.
Well there's 2 types of Mexicans, aren't there? There's the type that no habla inglish, wears a sombrero and plays cumbia, then there's the bi-lingual gang-banger type.

Edit: compare this to say, Chinese who don't speak English and Chinese that are bi-lingual, they're essentially the same.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:33 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
So let me get this straight - because you had a few interactions with a few Polish people, you now believe Polish people are racist? Talk about stereotyping.. There are many European cultures are pretty reserved to the point of coming off cold. I've been followed before in Indian markets even with an Indian friend - guess I didn't really give a ****. I said something to the guy and he seemed embarrassed that I caught him.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post

I had the same types of interaction with different groups in Chicago.

As a Black man who would often visit restaurant and bars on the northside of Chicago I would run into the same treatment. Sometimes it even would be classified as hostile.

One thing for sure Chicago is one of the most unapologetic racially polarized cities in the country. People tend to live in their own world (neighborhood) and that's OK in their minds.

Just because someone is politically liberal doesn't leave them free from racial or ethnic prejudice. Our nation's most racially segregated cities are the most liberal. I know of people in conservative rural Tennessee who have more interracial interaction than the average Chicagoan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago