Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 8,143 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm movning to Chicago from Toronto in a few months, and I have heard nothing but nice things about this place. I have been looking at homes in Lincoln Park, Roscoe Village, Lakeview, Southport, Bucktown, and Wrigleyville. I found the people to be very friendly and helpful and not unlike my fellow Canadians. I hope this first impression was correct, any one want to back this up? Also, can someone give me advice on a good gym to join in any of these areas? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 AM

391 posts, read 1,305,924 times
Chicagoans tend to be blunt, but dont mean it personally. They also tend to ask personal questions without meaning to offend ya.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,265,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGirl View Post

Hi there, I'm movning to Chicago from Toronto in a few months, and I have heard nothing but nice things about this place. I have been looking at homes in Lincoln Park, Roscoe Village, Lakeview, Southport, Bucktown, and Wrigleyville. I found the people to be very friendly and helpful and not unlike my fellow Canadians. I hope this first impression was correct, any one want to back this up? Also, can someone give me advice on a good gym to join in any of these areas? Thanks
Once you narrow it down, we can help you with gyms. You'll find a few in each of these neighborhoods. My favorite though is X-Sport Fitness. There's a few, but I went to the one on Ashland and Roscoe-ish (they have free parking).

Old 01-22-2008, 02:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,422,813 times
If you've heard nothing but nice things about Chicago, you need a reality check. Don't get me wrong: I love living here and there are many great things about it. But there are also huge swaths of this city that basically live up to the Canadian stereotype of American inner cities and make Winnipeg and Regina look like Paradise. BUT, stay away from those swaths and you'll be fine.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,423,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Once you narrow it down, we can help you with gyms. You'll find a few in each of these neighborhoods. My favorite though is X-Sport Fitness. There's a few, but I went to the one on Ashland and Roscoe-ish (they have free parking).
That one's in West Lakeview/Roscoe Village. There's a YMCA right by there, too. That's actually a pretty nice area. In fact, all of the areas you mentioned are quite nice.

Any specific questions you have about those locations?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 PM

79 posts, read 353,914 times
well, before you figure out a gym, you should figure out where you want to live first. there are tons of gyms, but dont expect anything overly large, and there arent many with swimming pools. in terms of where you want to live, it all matters what you want...do you want to live in a major party area or something more mellow. also take into consideration where you are working because commuting can take some time.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,265,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraiya View Post
well, before you figure out a gym, you should figure out where you want to live first. there are tons of gyms, but dont expect anything overly large, and there arent many with swimming pools. in terms of where you want to live, it all matters what you want...do you want to live in a major party area or something more mellow. also take into consideration where you are working because commuting can take some time.
The Y in West Lakeview has a pool (and is pretty cheap as far of as the city goes), and the X-sport on North Ave does to. Regardless, find a place and you can find a gym close by

Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,566,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGirl View Post

Welcome to the Windy City and good luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,143 times
Well thanks everyone for the great input! Even you Drover. I appreciate your blunt honesty and I realize that every city has it's rough areas. PS I would never live in Regina or Winnipeg, way too far North!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,422,813 times
I just want to be clear that I was not trying to scare you away; I just want to help you fine-tune your expectations. Chicago is not like Toronto or Montreal where you can walk through some 85% of it no matter what time of day without any worries. More of Chicago's land area than not comprises neighborhoods that, at best, should be approached with caution, and at worst, should be avoided altogether at all times. I wasn't sure if your statement that you've heard nothing but good things about Chicago was a bit of hyperbole or honest naiveté. I wanted to make sure that if it was the latter that you don't end up in a part of Chicago that might get you in trouble because of a distorted perception that all of Chicago is like the tidy North Side neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago