Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,133 times

Advertisements

Wow, you really know your city info. I'm impressed. I suppose it was a bit of naivete, but mostly optimism. I've never been an Ex-pat before, and I'm trying to convince myself that I'm doing the right thing, so I find myself trying to solicit more optimism from -who better - the locals! Thanks for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Well, I will state again that despite all its faults, I love living in Chicago. You can tell by reading through the posts on these boards that most of us also greatly enjoy living here. It's possible to have a very good quality of life here as long as you don't have to spend a lot of time in the bad parts of the city.

It also bears mentioning that I've mostly been talking about Chicago Proper. The vast majority of the metropolitan area is perfectly safe (though there are a handful of problem spots in the suburbs).

Old 01-25-2008, 09:41 AM

79 posts, read 353,403 times
youll love chicago, and i think you will realize it will be the best move in your life. i moved here from st louis a few years ago for college. it was a difficult move but ive never looked back. everytime i am away from chicago i miss it.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:28 PM

45 posts, read 169,400 times
Save yourself before it's too late! I can't imagine moving from nice, clean, safe Toronto to Chicago. You can kiss affordable health care goodbye too.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I think you should be exposed to another side of the story. It's not all peaches and cream here. The touristy areas are ok, but the rest of the city is falling apart, including the CTA. Everytime I have to ride the train, I feel like I'm in an apocalyptic nightmare. The government is corrupt and can't get anything done. Taxes are high, but social services are woefully inadequate. I could go on, but I've probably antagonized most of the Chicagoans on this forum. Suffice it to say that I can't think of a single advantage to being in Chicago instead of Toronto.

I've only lived here for 6 months though, so who knows, I might warm up to the place.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by july View Post
I've only lived here for 6 months though, so who knows, I might warm up to the place.
Doubtful, seeing as you have such a lousy attitude.

OP, please know this is not the feelings of the majority of people here.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM

Yeah, I knew I shouldn't have posted that, but I wish someone had warned me before I moved here. It's just a personal opinion, and other opinions are just as valid. If you like it here, and many people do, more power to you.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
You're entitled to your opinion, I'm not saying you aren't, but I would venture to say if you don't like Chicago you won't like any major city.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 PM

I love San Francisco and I like New York. Normal people can't afford to live in those cities though.

I lived in NYC when I was younger, and loved it. I still love DC (which I guess wouldn't be considered a major city). I'm kind of over cities now though, so you have a point.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Doubtful, seeing as you have such a lousy attitude.

OP, please know this is not the feelings of the majority of people here.
Well, he (or she) does have a point regarding affordable health care (versus the Canadian system). On the other hand, the tax rate is probably a lot lower here than in Toronto.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 PM

49 posts, read 214,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by july View Post
Save yourself before it's too late! I can't imagine moving from nice, clean, safe Toronto to Chicago. You can kiss affordable health care goodbye too.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I think you should be exposed to another side of the story. It's not all peaches and cream here. The touristy areas are ok, but the rest of the city is falling apart, including the CTA. Everytime I have to ride the train, I feel like I'm in an apocalyptic nightmare. The government is corrupt and can't get anything done. Taxes are high, but social services are woefully inadequate. I could go on, but I've probably antagonized most of the Chicagoans on this forum. Suffice it to say that I can't think of a single advantage to being in Chicago instead of Toronto.

July,
I couldn't have said it better, I agree with everything that you said, and I am a native of this place.. I grew up in the south suburbs and have lived here for 40 years,, The City of Chicago has one of the most corrupt city governments in my opinion. I have lived in the city for a time, 4 years near Midway airport and thought my opinions would change, but they did not, I hated it and moved back to the suburbs, the far south suburbs, Homewood, and only come into the downtown area for work. When I lived by Midway I was much closer to my job downtown but it took me longer to get home on the CTA than it does now with me living in Homewood and taking the Metra and I am much farther away..

To the OP, If you really want to move to the Chicago area, consider the suburbs instead of the city proper. The government is corrupt the CTA is unreliable and many of the neighborhoods in the city are riddled with crime and gangs and drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago