Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 01:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,773 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently a Sr. Graphic Designer in my late 20s who is considering the move to Chitown late of this year from the East Coast.

I have been doing my research and so far, I really think I can do it! COL is way more affordable than NYC (you get what your $'s worth) or Boston, and I love the local museums, architecture, among other things. I've been to Chicago quite a few times and I would say it now tops my list of cities to move to. (Down, Seattle & SanFran). I love winter.

I'm looking at the various threads on this forum and looking at Lakeview / Wrigleyville / Lincoln Park area as I really want to experience a somewhat urban lifestyle (I own a home in the suburbs right now and am more than ready to GET OUT). I will feel alright about getting rid of my car prior to the move. I live quite simply, I'd rather spend $ on good food and an occasional play than on clothes, so being a single woman, I think I'm on the right track. FYI I would not move anywhere without securing employment first.

NOW my concern is...as I am in the design field, I am expecting at least $45k-50k for a similar SGD or Art Director position. I have more than 5+ of solid work experience with a good portfolio to boost. I will also have my 2nd degree by the end of the year. I can speak two extra languages.

IS THIS REALISTIC? Do most established design firms provide relocation assistance? (At the same time I would not want to insist if it would deter them from hiring me). Can someone direct me to a list of agencies to look into?

Would it be hard to establish a social base? I am intending to join the local design orgs, foreign-language speakers meetups, maybe some other creative/crafty activities.

I have been preparing myself for this big-move-on-my-own, so I am excited and yet nervous also.

Thank you in advance, I'd really appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:27 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,881,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxARGYLExx View Post
NOW my concern is...as I am in the design field, I am expecting at least $45k-50k for a similar SGD or Art Director position. I have more than 5+ of solid work experience with a good portfolio to boost. I will also have my 2nd degree by the end of the year. I can speak two extra languages.
Actually, that seems really low to me. My wife has been in this industry for years, and salaries are higher than that in Chicago. Check out salary.com if you are serious about this. Do you do web or just print? Salaries are higher for web designers--and I'm not talking about web developers, just the graphic designers who lay out the pages.

Quote:
IS THIS REALISTIC? Do most established design firms provide relocation assistance? (At the same time I would not want to insist if it would deter them from hiring me). Can someone direct me to a list of agencies to look into?
I don't think anyone would pay for relocation.

Are you interested in working for more of a small funky design shop or a larger agency? Many of the advertising agencies in Chicago have large armies of graphic designers. Almost everyone has a large presence here. And some of the big boys like Leo Burnett and DDB have smaller "interactive" agencies attached to them (Burnett has Arc, DDB has Tribal, etc.)

Quote:
Would it be hard to establish a social base? I am intending to join the local design orgs, foreign-language speakers meetups, maybe some other creative/crafty activities.
Nah. You'll meet a lot of people through work. Also, there are hundreds of freelance opportunities in Chicago. I'll ask my wife who the big freelance agencies are and post it here.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,233,227 times
I think you can definitely find a job in that salary range, more depending on what you do. If you are experienced in both print and web you will make more. Having a good web portfolio helps, and knowing some front end development (like CSS and Flash) helps even more.

Also, there are differences in what job titles signify at different places, and if Sr. Designer means you had a team of designers reporting to you, you could make a lot more (AKA Creative Director). If it means heading up projects and having a production designer or two at your disposal then $50-60K seems about right.

There are a lot of different types of design jobs in Chicago. There are loads of marketing and ad agencies jobs downtown, as well as loads of smaller design firms scattered throughout the city. There are also plenty of opportunities to work as an in house designer for publications, associations, financial institutions, etc... The hours you work can vary drastically based on the type of job it is. Some large agencies are known for having life-destroying schedules, but the pay is good and your social life will be taken care of for you (it will be the office). In house jobs tend to be more stable, with less hours, but the work can get repetitive and the social aspect may not be as strong.

One freelance agency I have had good luck with in the past, both working and hiring through them, is Artisan. I've also had good experiences with Paladin, Sun Consulting, and Aquent.

Last edited by Attrill; 01-16-2008 at 06:21 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,773 times
Thank you so so much. These make me feel very hopeful and the future looks promising.

My only concern with funky / design shops is that...they might end up suddenly restructuring, or laying off based on seniority, and I end up moving to a strange city and suddenly losing a job. I'm scared of ending up being a bum, (albeit artsy-fartsy), or having to pack up and move back home. (First-time fears!)

It would be a dream to get into Leo Burnett, but I suppose I have quite a few months to really come up with the best presentation I can muster. I've dabbled in CSS and Flash with a couple of sites and animation DVDs, but not really delved as well as I should. My background was in publishing and now corporate in-house, but the goal is to get into an agency and climb the ladder from there.

Thanks again for your help (Attrill/Lookout Kid).

BTW a list would be great!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:35 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,881,509 times
Like I said, I'm only married to someone in that line of work, but I'll try to post a list of decent agencies with Chicago offices based on my limited exposure to the industry. I'm sure there are dozens more, but these are places that friends and acquaintances have worked:

Leo Burnett
Arc (Leo Burnett Interactive Branch)
DDB
BBDO
Tribal (DDB Interactive Branch)
Razorfish
Euro RSCG
Digitas
Agency.com
Cramer Kreslin
J. Walter Thompson

Old 01-17-2008, 08:48 AM

28 posts, read 123,858 times
off the subject a little...what would be the salary range for someone with 2-3 years apparel design experience expect to make moving to chicago? what ive found so far, w/cost of living added in is around $41,000-$42,000/yr...is this accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago