Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 11:26 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Cool is relative to the person. I have heard people say Austin TX is the coolest city in the USA and Seattle. Chicago def is a cool city but I don't know if it is cooler than NYC it is all relative to the person's viewpoint on the city.
You're missing the point - we were talking about how there are many NYers who enjoy Chicago too when some people think otherwise. Nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:30 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is Cleveland really that much more Italian in character than Chicagoland? I thought the Italian presence in Chicago would be more noticeable.
I'm another one who grew up near Cleveland and lives in Chicago, and yes, I think that the Cleveland area is noticeably more Italian feeling overall. Even more so with the Youngstown area.

I will say that the people with Italian heritage don't seem to flaunt it as much as on the East Coast. The town I grew up in is very Italian, but you wouldn't really know it by looking around the place.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 302,679 times
Chicago is cool but there is definitely the annoying hipster element dude. Also Rahm is okay but if Chuy Garcia wins he will make DeBlasio look awesome (I hate deBlowhard much more than you do and we all know the only reason he got elected was because the hipsters thought he was so totally awesome because his son had an Afro and his wife was a former Black Panther).

Big cities all have the annoying hipster tool bag element. You have to go to more economically depressed places in the rust belt to get away from that. Cleveland, Youngstown, Buffalo etc. Detroit is cool too but there are hipsters in the DT area and up in Ferndale/Royal Oak. Fraser is a suburb where all the East Side paesanos moved to and it's cool but nothijg like Bensonhurst circa 1975. Nowhere is like that anymore..

Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I'm another one who grew up near Cleveland and lives in Chicago, and yes, I think that the Cleveland area is noticeably more Italian feeling overall. Even more so with the Youngstown area.

I will say that the people with Italian heritage don't seem to flaunt it as much as on the East Coast. The town I grew up in is very Italian, but you wouldn't really know it by looking around the place.
Ah yes...what everyone looks for in a city...Jersey Shore types!

Where do those people even come from?

I go to Italy all the time and have never met a single person who acts like that.

Didn't the government if Italy at one time try to stop them from filming there.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:48 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM1994 View Post
Chicago is cool but there is definitely the annoying hipster element dude. Also Rahm is okay but if Chuy Garcia wins he will make DeBlasio look awesome (I hate deBlowhard much more than you do and we all know the only reason he got elected was because the hipsters thought he was so totally awesome because his son had an Afro and his wife was a former Black Panther).

Big cities all have the annoying hipster tool bag element. You have to go to more economically depressed places in the rust belt to get away from that. Cleveland, Youngstown, Buffalo etc. Detroit is cool too but there are hipsters in the DT area and up in Ferndale/Royal Oak. Fraser is a suburb where all the East Side paesanos moved to and it's cool but nothijg like Bensonhurst circa 1975. Nowhere is like that anymore..
I agree hipsters are pretty annoying, I agree with your points on that.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972Impala View Post
I have friends from Mastic and they hate it and are stuck there because they are under-employed college grads from SUNY. No thanks!!

also I love being Italian but I don't take it too seriously, I just like where I grew up and was curious if Chicago has anything similar thats all. I got an Italian flag on my car and I call people "Mamalukes" besides that I'm as American as anyone else, I dont even speak any Italian (only English and French).

I use guinea and goombah because I think its funny and so do many of my fellow daigos (like my paisan JoeM1994)

@Sheena12 I dont think you quite understands New York too well either, but I wouldnt expect anything less from a madigan. no need to be passive aggressive or you might find trouble faster than you can say FUGGHETABOUTIT. just a word to the wise.
I think that you're going a bit overboard with the Italian identification bit. You'd be better off in a neighborhood that have descendants from many nations, and not just one.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Ah yes...what everyone looks for in a city...Jersey Shore types!

Where do those people even come from?

I go to Italy all the time and have never met a single person who acts like that.

Didn't the government if Italy at one time try to stop them from filming there.
"jersey shore" types are actually cool people bro.

Listen, all I know is that this:

And this:

Is preferable to this;

And this:

Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think that you're going a bit overboard with the Italian identification bit. You'd be better off in a neighborhood that have descendants from many nations, and not just one.
Who are you??? I like living in my Italian neighborhood too, since I'm ya know...Italian.

Why would anyone be better off? And what's overboard? If you had such an amazing heritage you would be proud too. Sorry your ancestors weren't from the land of Columbus but being rude won't change that.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:19 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Quote:
"jersey shore" types are actually cool people bro.

Listen, all I know is that this:

And this:

Is preferable to this;

And this:
the funny thing is the dude with the hat is probably italian. there's plenty of italian hipsters

jersey shore dudes also don't look like travolta in stayin' alive.

they look like this

Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Who are you??? I like living in my Italian neighborhood too, since I'm ya know...Italian.

Why would anyone be better off? And what's overboard? If you had such an amazing heritage you would be proud too. Sorry your ancestors weren't from the land of Columbus but being rude won't change that.
I wasn't aware that one ethnicity was better than another. Maybe if you expanded your horizons just a little, you'd be a little more broad-minded. After all, you do live in the United States, and not Italy. But you're obviously quite young, and it will take time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago