Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I am also from Northeast Ohio (Cleveland) and there's nothing in Chicago, not even Taylor Street, that compares in Italian character to Murray Hill, parts of Euclid, etc.
Is Cleveland really that much more Italian in character than Chicagoland? I thought the Italian presence in Chicago would be more noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 10:10 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
And that is likely without even exploring the neighborhoods.
It actually sounded like he got out into other areas. I heard him mention some places in Logan Square. Didn't seem like the type of guy easily impressed by new shiny tall buildings either. I also heard about him talking about basically traveling all over the world and spending months at a time in Europe, Asia, and South America.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:38 AM

38 posts, read 83,879 times
Im focusing on ChiTown aka ChiRaq aka da 312 for my move because It is pretty much as exciting and diversified as New York but without all the BULL**** that comes along with New York these days (gentrification, extreme unaffordability, every idiot "artist" moving here to be in Brooklyn, the whole "Brooklyn" culture that has erased a once tough blue collar Borough and turned it into a land of tight jean, latte drinking sissies and fake liberal DeBlasio).

My friend has a 2 bedroom in Ukranian Village for $700 a month. A two bedroom in New York starts at $1250 a month in most cases, even in the South Bronx or East New York. It makes no sense, New York has become unrecognizable from what I remember as a kid in the 90s.

Chicago offers me what New York can but at half the cost. I can do my MA at UIC or DePaul and there is even a slim chance I can become an ace Chicago blues guitarist and/or date the hottie that plays Burgess on Chicago PD!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 AM

38 posts, read 83,879 times
Im focusing on ChiTown aka ChiRaq aka da 312 for my move because It is pretty much as exciting and diversified as New York but without all the BULL**** that comes along with New York these days (gentrification, extreme unaffordability, every idiot "artist" moving here to be in Brooklyn, the whole "Brooklyn" culture that has erased a once tough blue collar Borough and turned it into a land of tight jean, latte drinking sissies and fake liberal DeBlasio).

My friend has a 2 bedroom in Ukranian Village for $700 a month. A two bedroom in New York starts at $1250 a month in most cases, even in the South Bronx or East New York. It makes no sense, New York has become unrecognizable from what I remember as a kid in the 90s.

Chicago offers me what New York can but at half the cost. I can do my MA at UIC or DePaul and there is even a slim chance I can become an ace Chicago blues guitarist and/or date the hottie that plays Burgess on Chicago PD!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Don't base your decision on where to live simply because there may be more Italians. You need to look at a number of factors. If you want to be all about being Italian, there are a number of areas where more Italians live but it won't be like the east coast. There are a number of Italian fraternal organizations you can also join to meet fellow paisans. A couple of years ago a friend of mine invited me to a dinner of one of these Italian organizations and it was one hundred percent Italians I think a couple of us were the only non Italians there. Great food, great event and after the dinner there was Italian singing, music and dancing. Also visit the taste of Melrose Park. Formerly and Italian area it is now mostly Hispanic but they still put on the taste and its one of the best. Arancini, stuffed Melrose peppers, Italian beefs, eggplant parmigiana, and the nuns sell sfingi.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:09 AM

$700 for a 2 bedroom in UK Village is under average. Average price is probably starting at least at $1100 or $1200/month. There are of course other areas of town though where you can find $700 or $900 for a 2 bedroom not far outside of downtown like Bridgeport or Pilsen.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:15 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Don't base your decision on where to live simply because there may be more Italians. You need to look at a number of factors. If you want to be all about being Italian, there are a number of areas where more Italians live but it won't be like the east coast. There are a number of Italian fraternal organizations you can also join to meet fellow paisans. A couple of years ago a friend of mine invited me to a dinner of one of these Italian organizations and it was one hundred percent Italians I think a couple of us were the only non Italians there. Great food, great event and after the dinner there was Italian singing, music and dancing. Also visit the taste of Melrose Park. Formerly and Italian area it is now mostly Hispanic but they still put on the taste and its one of the best. Arancini, stuffed Melrose peppers, Italian beefs, eggplant parmigiana, and the nuns sell sfingi.
Never been to Taste but the Mt Carmel Fest is awful these days. Oakley Fest and Taylor St Fest are way better IMO.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:17 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
On that note I have a story that happened a few weeks ago. I was eating at a restaurant on the Lower East Side and there was guy at a table next to me (2 away but nobody was right next to us) with his friend. I started overhearing his conversation talking about Chicago randomly. He was saying "I used to think NYC was the only place for me but man, I spent 3 weeks in Chicago and they have it going on." He continued to talk about Chicago for probably 15 minutes and how great he thought it was. Some film actor or comedian based on what else I heard but I didn't recognize him.
Chicago def has its share of advantages over NYC, cost of living is cheaper for starters. Lot of my family that moved from the Middle East moved to NYC because it has a large Arab population although I am Christian and not Muslim and I have some Jewish family members as well and NYC has the largest Jewish Population in the USA. I personally would rather live in Chicago over NYC but each city is amazing in its own right. NYC and Chicago have a few similarities but more differences. Both are way better cities than LA in my opinion to live in.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:21 AM

^ It has its advantages but this guy was talking about how cool he thought it was, not about "oh it's cheaper." The guy was probably well off based on what he was saying.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:25 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ It has its advantages but this guy was talking about how cool he thought it was, not about "oh it's cheaper." The guy was probably well off based on what he was saying.
Cool is relative to the person. I have heard people say Austin TX is the coolest city in the USA and Seattle. Chicago def is a cool city but I don't know if it is cooler than NYC it is all relative to the person's viewpoint on the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago