Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 02:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Why most people don't acknowledge the work by Chicago Magazine is a mystery to me. It's clear that Rahm, Garry, and other city officials have been playing with the numbers to present a better situation than what is the reality. As someone else here pointed out, murders may be down due to improved technology, but shootings are WAY up, and that's a real picture of the Chicago crime.

I no longer live in Chicago, but was just there visiting. My visit confirmed that I made the right decision to leave that craphole. Did anyone see what happened at Navy Pier and R and R McDonald's. Even the popular tourist areas aren't safe from the "youth". Those incidents are another clear glimpse of what is really going on in Chicago, despite Rahm's and Garry's spin.

Chicago sucks!
Do you honestly think that's just a Chicago thing? Improved technology and under reporting?

LAPD wrongly reclassified some serious crimes as minor, Times review finds - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

347 posts, read 521,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Do you honestly think that's just a Chicago thing? Improved technology and under reporting?

LAPD wrongly reclassified some serious crimes as minor, Times review finds - LA Times
It may not be, but we are talking about Chicago, are we not?

Old 12-30-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The stats have been tweaked by some of those techniques, but there is still a real downward trend.
Do you read the news....especially the news coming from the south and west sides? Also, do you spend time reading the second city cop and crime in wrigleyville/boystown blogs? If not, you should. Even Chicago's "nice" neighborhoods are no longer immune to outright thuggery and murder.

Tell the residents of the south and west sides that there's a "real downward trend". See how they react.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

Of course it's not unique to Chicago. Guiliani was accused of the same. And it's not a new phenomenon obviously. Just read the chicagomag article

Old 12-30-2014, 02:27 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Are you trying to imply that the media shouldn't be "all over" these incidents, especially the one that happened at a major Chicago tourist destination? If so, why?
No, they shouldn't make front page news about a fight at the rock and roll McDonalds. Were you here in the 80s/90s? You're safer on Lasalle and Ohio now than 20 years ago.

Acknowledging that doesn't mean there aren't problems, it means keep some perspective. In much of the city, Chicago has never been safer. In some of the most downtrodden neighborhoods, its as bad as ever.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
No, they shouldn't make front page news about a fight at the rock and roll McDonalds. Were you here in the 80s/90s? You're safer on Lasalle and Ohio now than 20 years ago.

Acknowledging that doesn't mean there aren't problems, it means keep some perspective. In much of the city, Chicago has never been safer. In some of the most downtrodden neighborhoods, its as bad as ever.
Reason doesn't usaually work with scp readers.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:09 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I think some people want crime to be terrible in Chicago to alleviate their boredom.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:04 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Are you trying to imply that the media shouldn't be "all over" these incidents, especially the one that happened at a major Chicago tourist destination? If so, why?
No, that's not what I was trying to imply. The OP was asking why it was sensationalized by the media, and my point was that because of Chicago's history of crime (and violence), it will take a long time to reverse that. I gave those 2 recent examples because I was out of state for the holidays, and I heard about it where I was. I think that the fact that those incidents get such wide-spread media coverage has a lot to do with the city's reputation. I'm not saying anything about whether or not they "should" be "all over" it.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post

The south and west sides are huge, especially the south side, and they are war zones. Objective facts and statistics support this along with various anecdotal evidence. When you combine the south and west sides, they account for more of the city than the loop and the North side. However, spend time on the crime in boystown blog and you will see that the North side is suffering due to thugs taking over various neighborhoods there and lack of police manpower. So, the violence from the bad neighborhoods is most definitely spilling into the good ones.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Reason doesn't usaually work with scp readers.
Yeah, why trust a blog written by the police, the men and women experiencing the crime first-hand. Press releases full of spin by Rahm and Garry are SO much more reliable, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago