Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 PM

99 posts, read 112,331 times

Advertisements

We could be under some real bad winter weather, but we are spared again from major snow fall.

Last week was pretty much just luck getting hit dead on by the snow but other than that, we got up to 50 today and it is like in the 20's not to far from us.

How do we get this warm and so lucky from the wrath of mother nature?

God does really care for Chicagoans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 03:01 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,349,456 times
? you do realize its going to be in the 20's in about 20 minutes? and there is currently horizontal snow? I'm waiting for the thunder snow, actually.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,429,608 times
Winds here in Warrenville are crazy! The sun is shining, yeah, but the winds are gusting to like 35-40 mph! Id rather have this than that damp rain last night, felt like Seattle. Ick.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:16 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,189,338 times
Let's make a checklist of what we don't have in Chicago:

Blizzards, check out the most recent pics from the Great Plains, our snow storms are nothing. Also compare it to what hits the northeast every couple years. And our snow removal is a lot better then almost anywhere else.

Ice Storms, that thin layer of ice a couple weeks ago can't begin to compare to the several inches of ice that covered the plains.

Earthquakes, the odds of serious damage from the New Madrid fault are extraordinarily remote

Hurricanes

Tornadoes, possible, and there have been a few bad ones in Chicagoland, but still they're quite rare.

For the most part we have plenty of water, droughts aren't common.

Wind, yes, we can get some serious gusts, like right now, but this type of wind is almost constant on the northern plains.

So, yes, I would say we really have it pretty good in Chicago. It seems like 90% of the severe weather systems end up missing us. And thanks to global warming, it's not uncommon to have temps in the 60's until November.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:27 AM

99 posts, read 112,331 times
I heard through a friend that knows a weatherman.

Don't expect any major 12 plus snows in our lifetime cuz the conditions are so not favoring it here. He claims we have low presure bubbles over us fending off any fronts that mey catorgized as severe.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:36 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,514,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
We could be under some real bad winter weather, but we are spared again from major snow fall.

Last week was pretty much just luck getting hit dead on by the snow but other than that, we got up to 50 today and it is like in the 20's not to far from us.

How do we get this warm and so lucky from the wrath of mother nature?

God does really care for Chicagoans.
OH BROTHER! LOL Spare me while I go put my boots on and grab my shovel to dig out from all the $#!- that is being fed to us here. If thats the case then God really cares about other cities like NY, Detroit, Indy, St. Louis, etc because we all get similar weather patterns.

Anyways, I woke up to 50 mph winds, 14 degrees, and wind whipped snow in my face this morning. Gosh that was such a blessing!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:42 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 1,000,069 times
Eh, snow is invigorating.
You might ***** about it now, but try living in Florida for a decade or so.
Life loses most of its flavor when the "four seasons" are simply three phases of summer and an autumn.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:46 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,514,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Eh, snow is invigorating.
You might ***** about it now, but try living in Florida for a decade or so.
Life loses most of its flavor when the "four seasons" are simply three phases of summer and an autumn.
Give me San Diego or LA anyday. If you want snow, drive up to Big Bear for the weekend, you want heat go to Palm Springs, you want grey and cool, go to Coronado or Oceanside, you want Chicago summer weather go to Escondido. They have it all out there. Might be why a small 1 bed condo goes for about $400K now out there.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,784,250 times
Actually Chicago is one of the few cities that is "disaster" safe. It has a few snows now and then but not earthquakes, hurry canes or tornadoes (in the city).

Old 12-23-2007, 04:42 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,349,456 times
we dont have ice storms? what? give me a break...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago