Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,559,406 times

Advertisements

Would it be wise to schedule a trip to your new location and then start looking for jobs? I'm confused as to how all you plan a interview trip out to your new location. How do you time your job searches with trips like that? I'm sure I'm not the only one that can't afford plane tickets at a whim. That's been my biggest frustration.

How do you time your job searches? I have been looking for a while now, but I have to stop because I cna't really apply for any position until it's closer to the time I want to move. But then, I don't want to miss out on an opportunity position. Arg, I hate seeing positions come and go because I can't apply right now. I'm stuck until July so it's pointless to invest time in applying ya know? But, you got to do what you got to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 06:20 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,251,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Would it be wise to schedule a trip to your new location and then start looking for jobs? I'm confused as to how all you plan a interview trip out to your new location. How do you time your job searches with trips like that? I'm sure I'm not the only one that can't afford plane tickets at a whim. That's been my biggest frustration.

How do you time your job searches? I have been looking for a while now, but I have to stop because I cna't really apply for any position until it's closer to the time I want to move. But then, I don't want to miss out on an opportunity position. Arg, I hate seeing positions come and go because I can't apply right now. I'm stuck until July so it's pointless to invest time in applying ya know? But, you got to do what you got to do....

There are two ways to do this. You can send out resumes with cover letters (and/or network) saying "I'll be in town on such and such date if you would have time to meet." This might work (worked for a friend a few times when he was looking for jobs in NYC, but this was through networking only). Otherwise, you do need to just wait and buy the ticket on a whim if you get an interview. It sucks, but that's what you need to do. If you know when you are going to move, keep your eye out. This is probably way too early, but you can atleast make note of who to contact when you start actively looking. A few friends have sent out resumes and were told to contact the people closer to the actual time they were moving (May) but you can try that too if you want. It's a hastle, but it can work out nicely.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 AM

33 posts, read 163,313 times
First off, thank you, Gabry, for the advice on avoiding recruiters. I have actually been advised by a TON of people the opposite, to in fact use them, but I don't feel completely comfortable with that, and my dad agrees with you--waste of time.

Deegers, there ARE some positions (several, in my limited experience) that expressly advertise a start date in the near future. I have even seen a couple of posts for positions a couple months ahead of time.

I would highly recommend posting your resume and cover letter on ALL of the reputable job search sites, and make sure to give a targeted timeframe for your move..."I plan to be permanently in Chicago beginning July 8th," or simply stating the "beginning of ____." Even if it seems WAY too early, it certainly couldn't hurt--an employer may have just found out that someone will be leaving for maternity leave or moving several months ahead of time.

Then, I would absolutely, ABSOLUTELY schedule a trip devoted to interviews 3-4 weeks ahead of your move date. The 2 weeks prior to that, send your resume to as many places as possible, and do your best to schedule 2-3 interviews each day (or more, if you feel you can handle that, but be careful to not wipe yourself out). If the employer was interested enough in you to call after seeing you're not yet in the area, chances are they'll be willing to wait a week to wrap up their interviews for you. It takes many companies a couple weeks, if not more, to do call backs and final interviews, so this timeframe should be about right.

However, if you do get a hit on your resume a couple months ahead of time, be prepared to get a last-minute plane ticket. Orbitz.com and most airlines have some awesome last-minute deals, especially during the week.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:14 AM

33 posts, read 163,313 times
Another thing...

Deegers--I don't know what you do or what your experience level is, but try checking into all the Chicago area universities' job search tools and alumni associations...the employers that typically advertise jobs through them make a habit of hiring students, and therefore often are more willing to wait a couple months for a start date.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,559,406 times
teshorr, thanks so much for the advice here regarding interviews and preparation. This will be my first time doing this long distance so it's been confusing how to best plan ahead. I agree with you at just accepting the fact that those last minute trips might be in order. Knowing that now will help me focus on saving money for just the occasion. Hopefully, the bottom line will end up with networking with my friends back home in Chicago and something pops up through them without too much hassle. However, I don't assume anything, thus the reason i ask all these questions. I know better to prepare for putting in lots of effort to make this work. A good learning experience if anything else right?

I've actually got the alumni from my college (ELmhurst College) on the lookout for me. He's got a copy of my well-done resumes and has access to a lot of people. I hoping that will help too.

Jessie, thanks for reminding about the cover letters and the wording. I understand tremendously that the wording is SUPER important in these letters. I have good resources for that so money well spent on resume and cover letter programs! Anyone interested in more info on my resources, MSG me. I've been hired for building resumes before and all winners, so two thumbs up on the results! LOL

Bottom line, I just want to be prepared for this interview job hunting process long distance. It's definitely challenging, but not impossible, right??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago