Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,636,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7778 View Post
Windy City John said, "You can name your location at $2000/month in Chicago". John, I have to disagree. It takes more like $2,500 to 'name your location' in Chicago. $2,000 seems to be the going rate for the majority of popular places in Chicago. If you want your top 10 pick, you need to spend more like $2,500. This is all too unfortunate, because when I was living in Chicago in the late 90's, one could 'name your location' for a mere $1,750.
$1750 in Chicago in the late 90's is like $3000 or more in todays Chicago rental market. I think $2000 can suffice for a studio or 1br no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 09:12 PM

166 posts, read 483,042 times
I have lived in both areas. I love Chicago, but for your interests the Denver area would be better suited minus the sailing. I lived in Boulder, CO and there are at least 7 great ski areas less than 3 hours away. There are a ton of ski areas and it is a very bike friendly place as well. Personally, I prefer boating/water so I just moved to Seattle and will relocate back to Chicago in the Spring. Good luck!!

Old 12-26-2007, 09:27 PM

166 posts, read 483,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The mountain biking in areas of WI (ie Kettle Moraine) are world class. Ask my brother, hes an avid mountain biker and he says that Kettle Moraine is insane, only for professionals. And snowboarding? Thats a toss-up. If youre into snowboarding casually down ultra-long slopes, than CO is the place to be. But if youre into riding half-pipes, rails, etc, than fun can be found at ANY snowboard park in the USA, doesnt matter which state. All that it depends on is how much effort the particular park puts into the experience. Raging Buffalo snowboard park in IL is a really great place as is one in WI (I forget its what its called--its got a weird name). You dont need massive slopes to ride half-pipes, etc, like people think you do. The snowboard area at Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort in Galena even has some really nice stuff.
I just have to speak up here....I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. I totally agree with Bill.

Having grown up in Chicago for 30 years and skied in Wisconsin as well as having lived in Boulder, CO for the last 6 years....I can tell you the ski experiences are so VASTLY different you cannot even compare them.

The skiing in the Midwest (especially for someone who has probably skied in Europe) is going to be disappointing. A black diamond in Wisconsin is considered a bunny hill in Colorado. Colorado is far, far superior when it comes to those who are serious about playing in the snow. I am not a mountain biker myself - but had several friends who were. Denver is really a mountain bikers paradise.

I personally love Chicago and don't think there is a better city any where in the world....but for what this man is looking for and where he comes from - I believe he will do better in the Denver area.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecWmn View Post
I just have to speak up here....I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you. I totally agree with Bill.

Having grown up in Chicago for 30 years and skied in Wisconsin as well as having lived in Boulder, CO for the last 6 years....I can tell you the ski experiences are so VASTLY different you cannot even compare them.

The skiing in the Midwest (especially for someone who has probably skied in Europe) is going to be disappointing. A black diamond in Wisconsin is considered a bunny hill in Colorado. Colorado is far, far superior when it comes to those who are serious about playing in the snow. I am not a mountain biker myself - but had several friends who were. Denver is really a mountain bikers paradise.

I personally love Chicago and don't think there is a better city any where in the world....but for what this man is looking for and where he comes from - I believe he will do better in the Denver area.
Thats great that you disagree with me and all, but you and Bill BOTH missed where I said that the skiing here sucks compared to CO, and if youre a pro youll be disappointed. Amateurs, however, will enjoy the ski resorts around here, as I do.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:32 AM

80 posts, read 302,607 times
Chicago is more interesting. Denver is sunnier.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
Personally, I would suggest just the opposite - live in Omaha and take advantage of last minute fares and fly to a different city every weekend.
Problem is, Omaha (unlike Chicago or Denver) isn't an airline hub. Therefore, last-minute specials are a whole lot dearer.

Speaking of hubs, have you considered the Twin Cities? They're a notch above Chicago on the outdoorsy scale, although still far less outdoorsy than Denver.

I continue to be astonished that you HAVE to drive an hour or more from Denver to go skiing. Those mountains seem so tantalizingly close, but really, only a few resorts have regular transit access of any sort. Similarly, I like Denver when I'm there, but the notion that there's almost no civilization for ~700 miles on every side really bothers me. I'm a coastal transplant, used to the next city being a quick train ride away.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:40 AM

6 posts, read 22,226 times
I agree 100% with what fuzz said in the first reply...

Nightlife/culture/food = Chicago
Outdoor activites = Denver

I love Chicago but if I want to snowboard I go to the Rockies... period.
For an avid skier/boarder, Midwest locations like Chestnut/Devilshead/AlpineValley/etc. will be utterly disappointing.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:22 PM

71 posts, read 269,497 times
I've lived in Chicago and Denver. For outdoor recreation Denver is tops. However, you have to drive to go mountain biking, climbing, skiing, etc... Public transportation is not very good.

For nightlife, Chicago is best. It has everything you could ever want for entertaining, dining, bars, etc... Public transportation is much, much better.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:16 PM

399 posts, read 1,550,489 times
So, if we were to put this all into a box and sell it...

What we are saying is...

Chicago...If you have "ties to family" already in the Midwest (IN for me) and like the lifestyle of a small to moderate exposure of the outdoors at the fingertips of a weekend trip, combined with the beauty of Lake Michigan and also the awesome nightlife I am assured the Chicago will have, take that route.

Denver- If you want to be an hour (or a bit longer depending) from some of the most beautiful and challenging terrain in the country, love the outdoors, and like mountains more than the beach, you should be here. Wow...I have a challenge ahead of choosing..

Maybe I should just relocate to a cheaper part of FL and think some more about this all winter! Tampa, or JAX. Key West is not a place to save up to move, that's for sure. I am sincerely hoping that i didn't offend anyone with my own summing it up back there...If I missed a detail please don't take it as an attack...

Thanks again for the link to the forum, avengerfire...You can end my other one if you want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago