Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,743 times

Advertisements

Hi!

There are many topics pertaining to people moving to Chicago and asking about safety/good locations. This is another one! I didn't see a related topic on this area so I'd like to get some advice. What are some general thoughts on the area within a 10min walking radius of the Chicago/State red line stop? (Aside grime the general precautions if city life).

This is in terms of safety for a single female in her late 20's. I'd be utilizing the el for my commute to work. Most likely going to the Trader Joes and Whole Foods for groceries (Huron and Ontario). The initial place I saw was on State and Oak St., but I've seen other nearby streets that looked good as well.

Any tips or thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
I've lived a 4 minute walk from the Chicago/State red line stop for awhile and it's completely fine. Some people are put off by the fact that there's an SRO just west of State (in the YMCA) building and some shady looking characters hang out there and the McDonald's, but honestly it is fine. They've never bothered me before to be honest with you. Those are the only two areas you're going to see some shady people hanging around, but again - don't bother them and they probably will never bother you.

The area is in a good logistical place, and it's safe - but like everything, just practice knowing your surroundings. Otherwise it's completely fine. There's a lot of stuff within a 10-15 minute walk of the area and more and more younger people (i.e. 20s and 30s) are moving in here (the area used to have a reputation for being for older people, but if you walk around for a day, you'll notice that's definitely not the case anymore).

Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Well, for the downtown, that EXACT CORNER is not a particularly desirable location. Yes, the Y is down the street, which means that there are always going to be vagrants congregating around there, plus more vagrants congregate around the El there, and also in the McDonald's playground. Also in the summer the last few years gangs of kids have been using that El to jump off, terrorize people, then jump back on. (This doesn't happen all that much, but it does happen.)

Combine that with what's left of Cabrini further west on Chicago and it is pretty much the worst strip of real estate downtown, with the possible exception of Division Street.

It is changing for the better, though, they got rid of the liquor store, and some nicer stores have moved into that and what used to be a pawn shop next door.

That being said, safety won't be too much of a problem as long as you are keeping normal hours.

It depends on what building you're looking at. If you are literally in one of the red brick apartments on the intersection, in all honesty I would keep looking.

If you are just generally saying "Chicago and State-ish," though, there are definitely some nice buildings a block or two in either direction.

Within 10 minutes, though...that ecompasses a lot of area... everything from SROs to $10 million condos.

So, in general, of course, the area is just fine.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info! I was specifically looking at living at the State and Oak St intersection as well as the State and Deleware intersection. I would be passing through Chicago Ave often going to grocery and utilizing the el on a daily basis. That was my only "worry".

Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantolina View Post
Thanks for the info! I was specifically looking at living at the State and Oak St intersection as well as the State and Deleware intersection. I would be passing through Chicago Ave often going to grocery and utilizing the el on a daily basis. That was my only "worry".
They are completely fine - I live extremely close to State & Delaware. I've never, ever had a problem with anybody on the street. As someone who's lived near where you're looking for five years, all I have to say is that if anybody is actually worried about these intersections at most hours of the day, then they are very sheltered. Yes, anything can happen and stuff has happened, but it's not the norm. I will swear on my life that nothing has ever happened to me and I've never seen anything happen to anybody else. I use this stop at least twice a day too. This again is not saying that nothing *could* happen - of course it can, but on average it's fine. Just like anywhere else in town, just practice normal knowing your surrounding stuff and you'll be fine. But carrying a bag of groceries back from Whole Foods at like 7pm? Completely fine. If you are worried, you can also take the 36 bus for a few stops to Delaware or State.

There's people walking through that area so much it's not even funny. I see women every single day carrying Whole Foods bags there.

By the way, there is also a grocery store right south of Chicago & Delaware called Potash Market. Not a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, but they actually carry their own brand of stuff that's more along the lines of health food, like roasted soy nuts and stuff that aren't too expensive and pretty good.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
State & Oak? Whenever I've gone thru there shopping or walking, I always felt safe. I have waited for the bus on Division and State and I have felt perfectly fine. As I was waiting for the bus, i noticed some of the buildings were older, and more grittier, however, I have felt perfectly fine.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Granted I never actually bought any myself, but per my sources it used to be a great place to score some Xanax (which, in the Chicago drugs marketplace goes hand-in-hand with heroin and methadone use), although since a big bust a month or two ago it's quieted down a bit. There is still some prescription drugs trade at the McDonalds there, but not as obvious.

With that quieted down, there is less presence of the youth that most actively participated in that market.

In general, that area is among the safest in the city. Exercise normal street smarts, and you should be fine.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM

Many thanks again for taking the time to reply. Would you advise against walking around in this area after or before a certain hour? The Oak/State residence came through so that's where I'd be commuting from to the el.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Many thanks again for taking the time to reply. Would you advise against walking around in this area after or before a certain hour? The Oak/State residence came through so that's where I'd be commuting from to the el.
I'm not a female so I can't comprehend 100%, but from what I've seen ...not really? I guess it depends on how used to a city you are really. I mean anything could happen anywhere, but it really is one of the safer parts of the city. I do see women walking alone at night in my neighborhood with no problem. Just from a normal person perspective, I've never felt like "oh **** I don't know about this...I don't think I can go outside."

Old 02-09-2014, 07:11 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
You'll "get it" pretty quick.

After that it's just a personal call.

Again, it's not really dangerous except in the sense that it's somewhat of as kid row atmosphere, at times. Now of course the irony is you could throw a rock at a dozen million dollar condos from there. That's just how the city is, sometimes.

The only quasi-dangerous area of downtown is around the old Cabrini, and I #would# avoid that late at night when no one else is around.

But by and large the whole area has a big police presence, tons of foot traffic, and is very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago