Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 AM

9 posts, read 11,344 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am probably relocating to Chicago, IL and starting a process of job hunting. For the last 5 days, I’ve been doing some research and I’ve found mixed reviews. I will be grateful if anyone can give me any feedback.

I’m a professional man from Puerto Rico and have been working in higher education administration for over 8 years. Even though I’m considered bilingual in the Hispanic job market, I am sure that I need to improve my writing and conversational skill to compete in the English speaking market. Thus, I will enroll in an Intensive English program in Chicago that lasts 2 months and I’ll be job hunting as well.

A. Classes will be held on Michigan Avenue close to Steeterville.

1. Is this places safe? Although “safe” could be a relative concept, it’s my belief that I can draw a clearer picture by putting together both statistic and residents’ perception/experience.

B. Budget will allow me to stay for 4 month without working and focusing only on job hunting. I've been working in mid-level management (coordinator, director) and the last two years in the first ladder of senior management (consultant and associate vice president). Also, I have two master degrees and I am doctoral candidate. I’m not looking to start in senior management right away; I’m willing to start in an entry-level management position (assistant director, associate director, or coordinator). Like this, I’ll be able to learn how Chicago works, start aprocess of networking and acquire experience under Chicago’s academic regulations.

1. Is this a realistic time frame for job hunting in Chicago?
2. How much would be a reasonable yearly income to live in Chicago?
Wish list: 1 bedroom, utilities, safe area, walkable community, close topublic transportation, and close to some kind of entertainment.
Priorities: no shared rooms/roommates, safe area, walkable community, and close to public transportation
Not priorities: luxury condos, active night life, and high-end amenities.
3. How difficult is the job market for no-locals?

C. I have no problem in starting a temp job on an entry-level position (customer services representative, administrative assistance). Actually, I don’t mind preparing coffee to the director or even picking up his/her dry cleaning, as long as it helps me to be surrounded by the right people.

1. How much would be a reasonable monthly income on a temp job to be able to rent a studio and continue job hunting?
2. Is it possible to rent a studio (close to my wish list or priorities) with a temp job?
3. How long could it take to find an adequate/reasonable temp job?

D. I am a gay Latino, although not effeminate or flamboyant. In fact, I’m very conservative and sometimes introverted about my homosexuality.

1. Is it possible to encounter a barrier during job hunting for being Latino?
2. Is it possible to encounter a barrier during job hunting for being gay?
3. Is it possible to encounter some problems outside work for being Latino?
4. Is it possible to encounter some problems outside work for being gay?

I know I’m asking too much and this isn’t a coaching program for future transplant, but won’t lose anything by trying. I’ll appreciate any information you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetSeeHowItGoes View Post
1. Is this places [Streeterville] safe? Although “safe” could be a relative concept, ...
Yes, very. Objectively safe.

Quote:
1. Is this a realistic time frame for job hunting in Chicago?
It's possibly a little short for a managerial position, but overall it's doable.

Quote:
2. How much would be a reasonable yearly income to live in Chicago?
Wish list: 1 bedroom, utilities, safe area, walkable community, close topublic transportation, and close to some kind of entertainment.
Priorities: no shared rooms/roommates, safe area, walkable community, and close to public transportation
Not priorities: luxury condos, active night life, and high-end amenities.
I know people who live happily with your list on $35k/year. You might even manage on less than that, but I think $35k/year would be a more typical lower end to achieve your wish list without additional sacrifices. At $50k/year things would start to be more comfortable.

Quote:
3. How difficult is the job market for no-locals?
As long as you're in the city as you described, the job market is only somewhat more difficult for non-locals, and only because you won't have as many connections. But if you socialize and make friends, you can start to make connections while you're job-hunting, too. Connections are always helpful, but not required for a job hunt.

Quote:
1. How much would be a reasonable monthly income on a temp job to be able to rent a studio and continue job hunting?
I've known several people who managed a simple existence in a studio on not much more than $1,500/month (assuming zero debt). It would not be particularly comfortable, but it would be doable.

Quote:
2. Is it possible to rent a studio (close to my wish list or priorities) with a temp job?
Usually.

Quote:
3. How long could it take to find an adequate/reasonable temp job?
This is far too variable a question to answer. A month is probably adequate, though, if you present well and have good, relevant experience.

Quote:
1. Is it possible to encounter a barrier during job hunting for being Latino?
I'm not Latino, so I can't say with the certainty of someone with your background, but as a white guy who pays attention to such things I would say that being Latino is not a barrier at all in Chicago. Nearly 1/3 of Chicagoans are Latino.

Quote:
2. Is it possible to encounter a barrier during job hunting for being gay?
It is unlikely. It is illegal in Chicago, in Cook County and in the State of Illinois (each have protective laws) to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. I am gay and have heard very few stories of discrimination at the hiring level in the City of Chicago. I know that, occasionally, individuals at companies take discriminatory actions against people, but it is not at all common.

Quote:
3. Is it possible to encounter some problems outside work for being Latino?
Extremely unlikely.

Quote:
4. Is it possible to encounter some problems outside work for being gay?
Unlikely. Occasionally some visitor from out of town might yell something if you appear gay, but even that is pretty unusual. You won't encounter any discrimination in businesses.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the information and being so detailed. It fulfilled my ODC traits! :-)

Old 01-06-2014, 08:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I have a friend who is gay and from PR in Chicago too, and kind of introverted about his homosexuality. Innnteresting, but really

Also: "Budget will allow me to stay for 4 month without working and focusing only on job hunting" --> Meaning how much per month are you thinking for rent?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM

Puerto Rico's culture tends to produce some introverted gay guys LOL.

Rent: Right now, I'm thinking about $1,400 per month with basic utilities included. However, I think I’ll have to reorganize my budget, because if it’s possible I could live with $1,800 a month (thankfully I have no debts), maybe I’ll be able to stay for 5-6 months.

And of course, by the 3rd month, I hope to have a part-time temp while continuing job hunting.

Does anyone know a reliable source in which I could read more about Chicago's job market? I'm still researching about Washington, DC and Chicago.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:

Rent: Right now, I'm thinking about $1,400 per month with basic utilities included. However, I think I’ll have to reorganize my budget, because if it’s possible I could live with $1,800 a month (thankfully I have no debts), maybe I’ll be able to stay for 5-6 months.

And of course, by the 3rd month, I hope to have a part-time temp while continuing job hunting.

Does anyone know a reliable source in which I could read more about Chicago's job market? I'm still researching about Washington, DC and Chicago.
You could easily get a studio, or a 1 bed in nice neighborhoods for around 1,000 or less. Better to stay under budget for your first year until your employment stabilizes.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:

LOL interesting. Wonder why

Well, as far as the rent stuff goes, I'd recommend spending less. $1400/month can afford you some one bedrooms in some downtown areas, but at least a studio. For example, I pay less than $1400/month in downtown for a 1 bedroom. Of course, including my electric bill I pay, that is sometimes a little over $1400/month. However, there are areas not far away where it's cheaper. I think this is important if you plan to move here without a job and look. It's possible you could get hired very quickly, but if you can save money, I'd say do it.

So for example, if you say you can survive here comfortably on $1400/month for 4 months, that's $5600 total. However, you can get a decent or good studio or even 1 bedroom in areas for $700-$1100/month that are on a train line and will get you to where you need in not much time and safe. In that case, $700/month is going to last you 8 months and $1100/month is going to last you 5 months.

I don't have articles for you but realize that DC's cost of living for housing is a lot higher than Chicago's. None of this of course will matter if you find a job right away, but then again it would depend on what they'd pay you if you did find a job. The point is that you can survive longer on your budget in Chicago than DC. However, I have no idea whose job market for your particular area is in either city.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
The two peers that I know were job hunting, used recruiters. I don't know if this is the norm in Chicago (my last couple of jobs were obtained via postings on company websites). The one who recently scored a new gig, did so after searching for a year. Unfortunately I don't know what his criteria were, though I believe he has an admin-type job.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
The two peers that I know were job hunting, used recruiters. I don't know if this is the norm in Chicago (my last couple of jobs were obtained via postings on company websites). The one who recently scored a new gig, did so after searching for a year. Unfortunately I don't know what his criteria were, though I believe he has an admin-type job.
There's definitely a lot of recruiters in Chicago and you bring up a good point. One of the things that the OP may want to try and do is create a LinkedIn profile (unless they already have one) and change their location to Chicago. Indicate you want to be contacted for jobs and see what happens. I have that on mine (even though I'm not looking - you never know when something amazing comes up) and I get contacted by recruiters on there all the damn time. It's possible one weird way to judge the job market and how interested people may be in you.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Well, I'm considering both, recruiters and job posting.

Does anyone have info about The Sovereign Apartments on West Granville Avenue close to Berger Park, or about that area? At the moment, with the little research I’ve done on apartments, is the only one that clearly states: utilities included and flexible lease terms (considering I’ll be renting for 5-6 months). And, apparently is close to a Metro station.

Actually, is to establish a point of reference about good neighborhoods and possible options.

BTW, I'm really grateful with all your information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago