Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 04:50 PM

578 posts, read 3,065,878 times

Advertisements

Hey all

I have a job offer in chicago in the area ELK GROVE, although I have been to many places in the US I have never been to chicago apart from o, hare airport got snowed in one yr anyways I have heard many good things about chicago and want to know what the ELK GROVE area is like if anyone knows?

Any feedback appriciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,624,818 times
the residential part of Elk Grove is safe, middle class, family oriented, American suburbia. Lots of warehouses, a bit of industry in the suburb.

Basically the suburbs around there are nice places to live if you're settled down with a family. If I was single and 24 I'd much rather be in the city proper--closer to the music venues, bars, sporting events, etc. The problem with your case is that the commute to Elk Grove from Chicago would be long and quite annoying.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,234,236 times
You might want to split the difference and look at the NW side of Chicago - specifically Portage park and Jefferson park. Both are safe neighborhoods, family oriented, but you could live close to the Blue line and get to Wicker Park and the Division restaurant strip pretty quickly if you want some of the city nightlife.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 PM

677 posts, read 4,218,395 times
I agree with what mdz said above. The industry is mostly near O'Hare; I believe United Airlines is headquartered there. My in-laws live in Elk Grove and their neighborhood is beautiful, it's surrounded by a huge forest preserve. Most of the housing in Elk Grove was built over 30 years ago, except for a few newer subdivisions west of I-290/53. Woodfield Mall (the 5th largest mall in the U.S.) is nearby - a ton of shopping and restaurants in that area.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:40 AM

Thanks for all the replies

I have been looking at places actually in chicago as mdz stated because I am 24 and single and the bars etc would apeal to me, so is Elk Grove too far away from the city and would I have traffic problems commuting to Elk Grove?

I will look at the NW side of Chicago Portage park and Jefferson park as stated

Old 02-27-2007, 09:57 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,234,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
Thanks for all the replies
is Elk Grove too far away from the city and would I have traffic problems commuting to Elk Grove?
I've driven out to Elk Grove for client meetings and I think it would take about 30-40 minutes to get from the NW side to Elk Grove at rush hour. If you were closer to the city center it would take longer, maybe an hour from the Ukrainian Village/Wicker Park area. You could also look at neighborhoods closer to the lake (Lakeview, Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, etc.) but the further you get from 90/94 the longer the commute will be. Some place along 90/94 and the Blue line would probably be most convenient for you.

I don't commute everyday, so other people may be able to give you more accurate commute times from different neighborhoods.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:40 AM

30-40 minutes actually thats not bad where I am at the minute it takes me about 40mins to 1hr to get to univesity so I could cope with that. I will check out some closer neighbourhoods that you have mentioned Attrill thanks for your help.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,021,485 times
Back on topic OP, I would check with your employer about one thing. There is such a thing called Metra trains in the area which go between Chicago (mainly downtown/west side) and the burbs. There is a Metra train that drops off just south of EGV in Wooddale. Some employers offer shuttle service between this and work, so I would check with them if they offer it. The ride from Union Station there is probably 35-40 minutes on the train which you can of course do other things you can't do when you're driving yourself.

Since you're mid 20s and single, the city is the best place to be IMO. There's some decent suburbs for "young professionals" but there's nothing like the city at all. There's a reason even the suburban young professionals come party in Chicago on the weekends.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,636,285 times
Default Check date of OP...

Thread was from 2007...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Back on topic OP, I would check with your employer about one thing. There is such a thing called Metra trains in the area which go between Chicago (mainly downtown/west side) and the burbs. There is a Metra train that drops off just south of EGV in Wooddale. Some employers offer shuttle service between this and work, so I would check with them if they offer it. The ride from Union Station there is probably 35-40 minutes on the train which you can of course do other things you can't do when you're driving yourself.

Since you're mid 20s and single, the city is the best place to be IMO. There's some decent suburbs for "young professionals" but there's nothing like the city at all. There's a reason even the suburban young professionals come party in Chicago on the weekends.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,021,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Thread was from 2007...
That's weird....I have noticed some threads being bumped up for no reason to the top of the list. Before that lunatic commented on it too, this was up there and I was reading it. I have noticed it in other threads. Weird bug..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: