Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am currently living in Orange county, CA and relocating to Chicago (Wicker Park) to be closer to family. I have always worked in hospitals as a radiology clerical worker/assistant or registration person. I was looking for recommendations as to what hospitals are and are not good ones to work for. Please keeping in mind I do not really know the city and if the freeways are comparable to the nightmare out here. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows about what clerical is paid in the hospitals out there. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,200,850 times
Stroger Hospital (county government), University of Illinois (state), Rush, and Northwestern are all somewhat close and in the city.

Pay in some positions is actually more at Stroger due to the county scale. I am not as familiar with the other hospitals pay scales. Northwestern is certainly the most "chic/fancy" of those I mentioned above. People love working there, however, it doesn't necessarily translate into higher pay at the clerical level.

The University of Chicago is a bit more distant from your location but not really all that far. Also, Illinois Masonic isn't terribly far from Wicker Park.

The above are the ones that come quickly to mind. We also have a number of suburban hospitals.

good luck

Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM

I have heard University of Chicago is in a bad part of Chicago, is that true? I am pretty street smart but do not want to work in the ghetto either! Thanks for the information.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 PM

126 posts, read 208,192 times
University of Chicago is in Hyde Park, which is a very nice neighborhood. However, some of the surrounding areas are quite sketchy, and public transportation to U of C is not as easy as some other places in the city. Driving there is not bad, although I don't know what the employee parking situation is like these days.

You'll probably be surprised to find out how practical public transportation in Chicago is compared to LA. You'll probably find it easier and cheaper to bus or train to work than to drive.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM

116 posts, read 384,619 times
I recommend you find a job before move with your family. That's what I am currently doing but I am in IT field. I currently have a job out of state but wanna find another back home in Chicago area. My hunt has been going +4 months. My resume is strong but it's in entry level and does not get me many interviews. And if your English is not first language it's gonna be even harder. I speak at conversational level and communicate well although employers can be quite picky about your speech or accent.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM

I found a job that seems promising and the pay is better than I expected but it is in Bedford Park. I know how traffic can literally double to triple your communte, any idea as to how the commute from Wicker Park to that location would be and is it even worth it? In addition, I thought anything around Midway was a bad neighborhood, is the same true for this area? Thanks for any help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: