Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 PM

5 posts, read 18,223 times

Advertisements

So I just got a new job and my new building is about two blocks from the BNSF's Western Avenue stop. It's great that I could walk to and from the station easily, but I've heard some pretty bad stuff about the area. I guess I'm trying to find out the truth about that area around the stop. How bad is the crime, really? Could I walk without too much trouble during a day shift?

I could drive to the new building, but it's over an hour commute minimum. If I can avoid that, I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I wouldn't say it's BAD, but it definitely looks sketchy/old. I think a lot of people are quick to judge an area that looks old as automatically bad, which isn't always true especially in an "old" industrial city like Chicago. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's definitely not the worst area of town. I have a coworker who lived near there too for years, who could afford any neighborhood in town. I do know too that there are going to be some new housing (not public housing) developments in that area possibly too.

How many blocks is the walk?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There are worse areas of Chicago but it is hardly just cosmetic issues that make this area undesirable -- https://data.cityofchicago.org/Publi...2013/c6au-zpvv

Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are worse areas of Chicago but it is hardly just cosmetic issues that make this area undesirable -- https://data.cityofchicago.org/Publi...2013/c6au-zpvv
And using that, the OP should filter out which are residential/business and which are on the street. I don't think that's the best data to use considering most theft is property crime to a residence or business. Looks no different in that area upon exploration of the data. I do think though that it's not useless, but it should be used with other datasets (crime types) to form a more complete story.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:59 PM

The OP clearly stated that is where their new job is located, if one filters residential / business that does not leave much, and the assumption is that whether the criminal acts committed are directed toward either residences or businesses both have negative impacts for commuting.

Please elaborate on what would be a more illustrative data set.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP clearly stated that is where their new job is located, if one filters residential / business that does not leave much, and the assumption is that whether the criminal acts committed are directed toward either residences or businesses both have negative impacts for commuting.

Please elaborate on what would be a more illustrative data set.
So you think that if 75% of thefts were to a business or private residence, this would have an impact on someone who doesn't live in the area, is in an office/factory/whatever for hours per day, and is probably rarely outside on the street? There is a huge difference between street crime and residential/business related property crime. Use your head for this one. They aren't looking to move to the area. They're asking about street crime.

Secondly, you misinterpreted what I said, clearly. I said
Quote:
I do think though that it's not useless, but it should be used with other datasets (crime types) to form a more complete story.
Yet another time you misread something and jump the gun. This dataset is merely one supporting dataset that forms a whole story. You can't just look at thefts in an area to determine the safety of the area. You have to look at other crime.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:15 PM

5 posts, read 18,223 times
The new building where I'll work is about two blocks west of the stop, between the stop and Douglas Park. I have no intention of living in the area, but I'll be working there and spending a lot of time there. I hate driving as it is, but to be making the drive in from Yorkville to the city will be horrendous. If it gives me a chance to save the stress and hopefully a few bucks, I'll take it.

The site seems like it says a lot, but it also looks like a lot of it is cars broken into and buildings vandalized. There is a data point near the train stop that shows a robbery back in August, but I guess my next question is, how often does it happen versus how much is it reported?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:18 PM

The link I posted to is the official City of Chicago / CPD data portal for crime, it can be easily sorted to highlight violent crimes or those that are only property crimes.

If you have another data set that would be more useful for the OP why don't you share the link.

WHAT IS THERE TO MISREAD?

Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRapp View Post
how often does it happen versus how much is it reported?
I think you'd have to ask someone who's there pretty much everyday. I can ask my friend. He doesn't live there anymore, but he pretty recently did (within the last 6 months) for many years.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM

I talked to my friend who lived pretty close to there for awhile. He said he didn't see much crime happening there on the street, but if you go down near or past Lake and then west (Garfield Park), then you would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago