Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:51 AM

20 posts, read 37,543 times

Advertisements

It's warmer than the rest of the region . I love Chicago but the midwest sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Let's just say that if you're coming from Calgary, you'll find it to be mild to at least a little degree. There are major blizzards only every few years, and if you live near Lake Michigan, be prepared for all the extra lake-effect snow, thanks to the city's location on the lake. Don't get me wrong, there still is a good bit of snowfalls(much more than NYC, and I'm sure probably also Vancouver, from the limited times I've checked winter temperatures in various North American cities), and you'll still get the same annoying winter windchill you remember from Calgary winters. Also, not sure how less the windchill is here than Calgary, since I don't always have time to check weather forecasts in different cities, excluding if I know I am going to be traveling there.

I just wish the snow was infrequent, and was more like the level of snow I usually see Kentucky get every year. That would be a perfect balance for me, and I feel like every subsequent winter, it gets a lot harder for me to tolerate cold weather. Least one day years from now, I'll succeed in my goal to moving somewhere where winter is milder, and there's at least a little bit of snow every now and then(but not so darn frequently, like it is in Chicago).

Old 12-06-2010, 11:17 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
Chicago's winter is milder than Calgary's on an average basis. It is also far less extreme... you don't get the -40 to -50 degree readings here. Usually, it will get below 0 anywhere from half a dozen to a dozen times, and the once or twice get below -10. This is extreme compared to any coastal location, but not compared to Calgary. One thing that you may find annoying though is that cold air outbreaks here tend to be more persistent. In Calgary, as in any front range city, weather can change more rapidly, and a downsloping wind can quickly raise temperatures. This commonly brings temperatures into the 60s in Denver, even in the depth of winter. The most depressing aspect of winters here in Chicago, is that it is pretty common for just a persistent cold air mass to overtake the region, giving us, say 2-3 weeks straight of colder temperatures that pretty much stick between 0 and 25.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Chicago's winter is milder than Calgary's on an average basis. It is also far less extreme... you don't get the -40 to -50 degree readings here. Usually, it will get below 0 anywhere from half a dozen to a dozen times, and the once or twice get below -10. This is extreme compared to any coastal location, but not compared to Calgary. One thing that you may find annoying though is that cold air outbreaks here tend to be more persistent. In Calgary, as in any front range city, weather can change more rapidly, and a downsloping wind can quickly raise temperatures. This commonly brings temperatures into the 60s in Denver, even in the depth of winter. The most depressing aspect of winters here in Chicago, is that it is pretty common for just a persistent cold air mass to overtake the region, giving us, say 2-3 weeks straight of colder temperatures that pretty much stick between 0 and 25.
I agree with the above assessment.

To the person who said "expect major blizzards only every few years," I think you can expect a 20-inch snowfall at least once per Chicago winter. That qualifies as a "major blizzard" in my eyes. It might be December, it might be March, but it's coming...

Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I agree with the above assessment.

To the person who said "expect major blizzards only every few years," I think you can expect a 20-inch snowfall at least once per Chicago winter. That qualifies as a "major blizzard" in my eyes. It might be December, it might be March, but it's coming...
Actually the city has been hit with storms that dump 20" or more in a storm twice in the past 115 years.

Chicago very rarely will see 10" plus snows in a single storm. Roughly once every one or two years.

It snows 14" or more in a single storm about once every 15 years (it's done so 10 times in the past 125 years - the most recent was 1999).

The coasts tend to get lower overall snow - but they get those 1-2 foot storms that blast through every once in awhile. Chicago gets more snow, but it's almost always in the 3-6" range. You can expect to see an 8" snowfall once a winter or so.

Chicago is a bit warmer than Calgary, but you'll see less swings in temps. It's not going to spring up to the 50's much at all, but it doesn't get below zero much either. Last winter there was only one day in the city that recorded temps below zero.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:28 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Quote:
I think you can expect a 20-inch snowfall at least once per Chicago winter....
Wow!! You must live in a different part of town than I do, that's for sure!

Seriously, though, as soon as I read "Calgary" I was reminded of the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics, which came during a cold spell here in Chicago. I don't think it was below zero, but it was probably close. Every night on the news, they were telling us how much warmer it was in Calgary that day! Of course, it could have gone the other way, so your mileage may vary.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
All right, perhaps I exaggerated a bit!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:21 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,746 times
Quote:
All right, perhaps I exaggerated a bit!
It just seems that way because as mentioned we tend to get many 3-6" snowfalls which add up when it stays below freezing for many weeks on end.

I wish we got more snow, I love it!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
If you can handle Calgary winters, youll have absolutely no problems here in Chicago. ;-)

Old 12-07-2010, 07:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
An acquaintance of mine who has variously lived in Regina, Saskatoon, and Edmonton tells me it's common for parking meters to have electrical outlets on them so people can plug in their block heaters. No block heaters necessary around here unless maybe you have a diesel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago