Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,321 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is taking a job in Bridgeview, IL 60455 in January. He is moving from NJ. He's a single black man in his early 40's. He is trying to find the best area to live that have things to offer, yet won't break the wallet and isn't a commute. Does anyone have any great suggestions? Also, any apartment complexes that might be nice. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
My advice? South Loop. Nice and close to Bridgeview. Things going on.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
He should live in Bridgeview or close to it then. I would rather travel long distances for play then travel long distances everyday for work.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
He should live in Bridgeview or close to it then. I would rather travel long distances for play then travel long distances everyday for work.
Then tell your friend or whomever to look in Orland Park or Oak Lawn or Palos Heights. DO NOT get an APT in Bridgeview or Summit (SCUMMIT). It's loaded with some shady people now and is more like little Arabia than anything (Bridgeview). Sorry, I'm just going to call it like it is. If you don't like it, cry to someone else.

Anyways, Orland Park is about a 20 minute drive to Bridgeview and is pretty much all white, white collar workers, with tons of shopping, eatting establishments, malls up the ying yang, bike/hiking trails in the woods, parks, workout facilities about on every corner it seems, and there is access to the Metra off 143rd Street, 153rd Street and 179th Street in the town to the Loop. This line also services Palos Park and Palos Heights as well as Hills. There are clusters of apartments all over the town where you can park your car off-street and don't have to worry about the radio up and walking off in the middle of the night and have your car receive random deliveries of rocks through it's windows as "gifts" Yes, this happened to me one night when I was a little too intoxicated to drive home from a friend's party in Bridgeview, so I decided to do the responsible thing and spend the night only to find my radio MIA and driver's side window also MIA or more like in a million pieces on the ground the next morning. Some people's kids...

Anywho, feel free to ask questions on the area. I have lived on the south side for many years and know where the hot areas area as well as the crummy ones.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Then tell your friend or whomever to look in Orland Park or Oak Lawn or Palos Heights. DO NOT get an APT in Bridgeview or Summit (SCUMMIT). It's loaded with some shady people now and is more like little Arabia than anything (Bridgeview). Sorry, I'm just going to call it like it is. If you don't like it, cry to someone else.

Anyways, Orland Park is about a 20 minute drive to Bridgeview and is pretty much all white, white collar workers, with tons of shopping, eatting establishments, malls up the ying yang, bike/hiking trails in the woods, parks, workout facilities about on every corner it seems, and there is access to the Metra off 143rd Street, 153rd Street and 179th Street in the town to the Loop. This line also services Palos Park and Palos Heights as well as Hills. There are clusters of apartments all over the town where you can park your car off-street and don't have to worry about the radio up and walking off in the middle of the night and have your car receive random deliveries of rocks through it's windows as "gifts" Yes, this happened to me one night when I was a little too intoxicated to drive home from a friend's party in Bridgeview, so I decided to do the responsible thing and spend the night only to find my radio MIA and driver's side window also MIA or more like in a million pieces on the ground the next morning. Some people's kids...

Anywho, feel free to ask questions on the area. I have lived on the south side for many years and know where the hot areas area as well as the crummy ones.
I never said Bridgeview was a wonderful place. Some people like gritty areas, besides I said he could move somewhere close also.(Which would include Oak Lawn,the Palos',etc) As far a Orland Park being a 20 drive to Bridgeview. Maybe at 4 am or 2 pm, but not most of the day or night. And yes, I have driven that stretch many times.;-)

Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Quote:
I never said Bridgeview was a wonderful place. Some people like gritty areas, besides I said he could move somewhere close also.(Which would include Oak Lawn,the Palos',etc) As far a Orland Park being a 20 drive to Bridgeview. Maybe at 4 am or 2 pm, but not most of the day or night. And yes, I have driven that stretch many times.;-)
Ok maybe 30 min., but if you live off La Grange Rd. you can take La Grange north to 79th Street and shoot east that way. Once youre north of 143rd Street, La Grange opens up and moves right along usually well in excess of the 45-55 MPH speed limits.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM

381 posts, read 842,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post

Bridgeview isn't that bad. I live right next to the suburb and it isn't at all bad.

I encourage your friend to find an apartment in Bridgeview. It's relatively safe.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 AM

Here you go.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
I think you might be confusing Bridgeview with Bridgeport?

Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 PM

11 posts, read 40,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvg2chitown View Post
A friend of mine is taking a job in Bridgeview, IL 60455 in January. He is moving from NJ. He's a single black man in his early 40's. He is trying to find the best area to live that have things to offer, yet won't break the wallet and isn't a commute. Does anyone have any great suggestions? Also, any apartment complexes that might be nice. Thank you.
I just moved out of an apartment in Hickory Hills, 8536 West 95th Street. $625/month plus electricity for a two bedroom. It is a Polish-Middle-Eastern- African American neighborhood, really very safe (no one bothered me). About five grocery stores and two walgreens within half a mile. You would be insane to live in the south loop if you work in Bridgeview unless you just love to be stuck on I-55.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago