Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 18,006 times

Advertisements

I am looking for apartment for my family in Chicago, but on the advert I saw Water: Public, sometimes Water: Lake Michigan.... What is the quality of the tap water, should I buy bottled?
City-data was very helpful for me till now, so I will ask other questions:
Should I change my Nevada Driving licence in Chicago or I need to pass the test only or I need to pass the test and driving test again?
What is the average cost for electricity heating for 1 bed apartment, in case there is not gas heating?
Thank you i advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,429,696 times
I have been drinking tap water in Chicago all my life and have not had any health issues. Chicago water is very clean. My mom sometime in the last 10 years has begun drinking bottled water..why I don't know. And so do my other relatives.

Yes, you should change your driver's license if you plan on staying permanently, i.e. at least a year.

Electricity depends, I've paid anywhere from $20-50. $20-30ish when I rented a condo. 30-50ish in regular 1 bedroom or studio apartments. In all those places, I didn't have gas.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:18 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,957,005 times
The tap water in Chicago is very clean. I have no problems whatsoever drinking it and never have.

As far as the license goes, then yes especially if you plan on making money (i.e. a job) in Illinois and plan on staying for more than 9-12 months. Obviously you don't need a license to establish residency, but it varies state by state for the terms for when it switches over. A license pretty much establishes it right away. Some states are weird, so when I first moved here, I had Minnesota residency, and the first time I filed taxes after moving here, Minnesota wanted me to pay a bunch in taxes because I was making money in Illinois while a Minnesota resident and never paid their taxes (really strange ****).

Unless you have something major on your record, you won't have to take a road test - just a written test. It's 30 questions, multiple choice/matching. I think the fee is something like $35, and if you pass they'll print up your ID right after taking your picture. Just be sure to have your birth certificate for that, unless you have a passport then that works. There's more info elsewhere online. Of course many areas in Chicago you don't even need a car to live a good life, but you should still convert over your license to an IL one if you plan on staying for over a year regardless of whether you'll have a car or not.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,694,907 times
I just moved from Nebraska and I personally don't like the tap water here, even more so than I didn't like Nebraska tap water. I can just taste the chlorine... it's a bit gross ahahaha.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeoNV View Post
I am looking for apartment for my family in Chicago, but on the advert I saw Water: Public, sometimes Water: Lake Michigan.... What is the quality of the tap water
Fine.

Quote:
should I buy bottled?
No.

Quote:
City-data was very helpful for me till now, so I will ask other questions:
Should I change my Nevada Driving licence in Chicago or I need to pass the test only or I need to pass the test and driving test again?
If your NV license is current, you should be able to walk into a driver's license facility, take a written test a 5th-grader could probably pass within 5 minutes, and walk out with a shiny new IL license. I believe a vision screening may also be required.

Quote:
What is the average cost for electricity heating for 1 bed apartment, in case there is not gas heating?
Thank you i advance
Way too many variables to give a reliable answer. In some apartments, they are provided as part of your rent. This is more common for heat than electricity. However, in some apartments you're also responsible for your own heat. The best way to answer the question is to call up ComEd and People's Gas to get the 12-month average for any particularly unit you're considering.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Thank you all of you, so less costs for water in Chicago then in Las Vegas

Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,994,933 times
I don't know if you've seen that big blue thing we have as the eastern edge of the city, but ya think?

Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Lake Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I don't know if you've seen that big blue thing we have as the eastern edge of the city, but ya think?
Of course, if this is your drinking water and you do not ride jets inside (Lake Mead) I am more then happy

Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
I just moved from Nebraska and I personally don't like the tap water here, even more so than I didn't like Nebraska tap water. I can just taste the chlorine... it's a bit gross ahahaha.
Part of that can be due to the pipes in your building. The tap itself, given decent pipes, is very good. Much much better than LA's for example.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Of course, if this is your drinking water and you do not ride jets inside (Lake Mead) I am more then happy
Well, yeah there's power boats out on Lake Michigan, but Lake Michigan is also way way way larger than Lake Mead. Lake Mead's maximum water volume is 32.2 cubic kilometers, while Lake Michigan's maximum water volume is 58,000 cubic kilometers. Basically Lake Michigan has a water volume 1801 times greater than Lake Mead.

Also, surface area of Lake Mead? 247 sq miles. Lake Michigan? 22,300 sq miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago