Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Though I know the ignorant and baseless attacks made posters who have neither the intelligence of squirrels nor the charm of cockroaches ought to be ignored It is likely that they make these attacks based upong their own suppressed fears that they may be unable to escape the collapse of the city if things have already gotten beyond the tipping point..

How's Florida?

You really shouldn't be attacking the intelligence of others when you regularly make arguments that even an idiot would know are nonsense, like the idea that people who choose the city over the suburbs have some kind of false idea of their own desires, or that it is impossible for someone to contribute to society while also partying after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm back up here now preparing for the move, no hurry. But Florida is nice and in my mind I've made the switch from Chicago to St. Augustine. Hell, my Chicago is long gone, nowadays I find the city somewhat irritating, I find myself in a better mood in Florida.
I had no idea that you were moving to Florida--thought you were just visiting...

Lincoln Square couldn't hold you any longer?

Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I sorta know how you feel...

Quote:
I'm back up here now preparing for the move, no hurry. But Florida is nice and in my mind I've made the switch from Chicago to St. Augustine. Hell, my Chicago is long gone, nowadays I find the city somewhat irritating, I find myself in a better mood in Florida.
The comments sections following this article really highlight a few things -- One bourbon, one scotch, and 20 new hipster bars | Food & Drink Feature | Chicago Reader. One can open all the fancy mixologist cocktail bars that people spending down their parent's retirement horde can get their hands on but if there are no grocery stores within a walkable distance the only folks that will be attracted to the area are the goofs that are more into Disney-fied entertainment than they are into living a normal life. Normal bartenders have the time to hold a conversation about sports, politics, life, love, etc -- these mixologists are cranking out fancy little creations like a robot cocktail shaker. I doubt any of 'em would even know how to run a sports book on the side.

The sad fact is that the folks that you'd think would have the most to put into improving things, like a 35 yr old single guy, seem the most eager to defend these "marketing genuises" that are doing nothing other than lining their own pockets. The guys running the rowdier bars similarly seen to be more than happy to provide a "side show" of patrons stabbing one another in front of their place almost like a bad driver on the side of the Kennedy being proud of providing a spectacle for the slack jawed motorists to gawk at...

There is a false belief among some that increased density will create more "livable" communities. The law of normal distributions instead tells us with increased population comes as well an increase of people with intelligence disproportionately skewed to the average (and less than average...) range, evidence of how easily such dupes are separated from whatever meager earnings they have is boundless...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I'm well past the bar-hopping phase of my life, but are the young'uns these days really that much more rotten than 20, 30, and 40 years ago? Sure. the vast majority of 20 somethings are trend-followers who in the end won't achieve exceptional things, but that's true of every generation. Being exceptional, is well, exceptional, its not common or routine, its something only a minority of people achieve.
Somehow I missed this, very true.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Default I dunno V...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Somehow I missed this, very true.
The sense that I get from an awful lot of posters here and even from sorta eavesdropping on conversations when I do go out to restuarant in Chicago is that things are tougher -- the squeeze that there is on one's ever increasing expenses is putting more and more pressure on constrained wages. It is not just that there are lots of typical 20 somethings that really don't have an interest in what kind of crook the aldermen for ward in which their apartment is, it is there are more and more folks that are older moving from rental to rental that don't bother to get informed poltically either. If they do vote it for whatever bum has the most posters up,musically an incumbent.

I said somewhere up thread that I cut a lot of slack to the folks for whatever reason raising kids in Chicsgo, I also don't have too much expectation that the bulk of 20 somethings will suddenly overturn the apple cart of poltical ineptitude in Chicago and the state, but I would hope that folks a little older would get a little more invested in realizing that their own detachment and denial of any problems makes the festering mess all the more difficult to change...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I had no idea that you were moving to Florida--thought you were just visiting...

Lincoln Square couldn't hold you any longer?
No rap on Lincoln Square, it's a nice neighborhood. But my wife and I want to live in a warmer climate where we can get out and ride our bikes all year or take a stroll and such, when you get old you need to get outside as much as possible. Our place is only a block from the beach and a couple of nice tiki bars. Cycling is excellent and St. Augustine is rich in history and architecture, I've already met people in the history community and have been offered volunteer work at historical sites, that will be fun. My wife wants us to buy a couple of motor scooters so we can zip up and down A1A to Flagler Beach and Daytona.

If we end up not liking it we'll pick up and go somewhere else, there's still life in the old horses.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
No rap on Lincoln Square, it's a nice neighborhood. But my wife and I want to live in a warmer climate where we can get out and ride our bikes all year or take a stroll and such, when you get old you need to get outside as much as possible. Our place is only a block from the beach and a couple of nice tiki bars. Cycling is excellent and St. Augustine is rich in history and architecture, I've already met people in the history community and have been offered volunteer work at historical sites, that will be fun. My wife wants us to buy a couple of motor scooters so we can zip up and down A1A to Flagler Beach and Daytona.

If we end up not liking it we'll pick up and go somewhere else, there's still life in the old horses.
Good for you---move around while you're still physically able; by the time you hit 70, I'll bet that you'll lose interest in the mobile lifestyle, and relocating will be much more difficult. But, religion aside, you only live once, so why not?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Questions for those who frequently post on the Chicago forum - there
seems to be a group of regular posters from such a large city, so when "some" occasionally
make a comment it often gets ignored?
I think it's just a volume thing. And there are posters who often go tit for tat back and forth, so they tend to focus on each other.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Well I will say some posters try to focus on the content of a thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think it's just a volume thing. And there are posters who often go tit for tat back and forth, so they tend to focus on each other.
...offering corrections / alternative views while there are some posters that seem wholly incapable of offering anything other than personal attacks.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:05 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago