Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM

81 posts, read 238,679 times

Advertisements

It just hurts to see allegations like this occurring in Chicago. Lincoln Park nightclub biased against blacks, says ex-manager - Chicago Sun-Times

Now I know this probably happens everywhere in United States, and most club owners have the right to refuse service if they do not follow a dress code. However, why does it seem like in some of Chicago's trendy neighborhoods, like Lincoln Park, WP, GC, accusations of racism is an ongoing occurrence. It is flat out discriminatory, if you tell your manager to limit the number of black customers in thier club.

I am tired of hearing Caucasians people, blindingly living those neighborhoods state that there is nothing wrong, and it is a great place where all people mingle and get together. That is ludicrous, and I am beginning to think for some strange reason when most white folks move into these hotspots in Chicago, they develop these racist tendencies. There is an obvious racial element in this neighborhood, and most residents who reside there need to take a look at themselves.

There is a reason why these neighborhoods are predominantly white. Most black professionals, like my friends, and black people in general do not feel welcome when they go or visit a place like Lincoln Park, LV and the other trendy neighborhoods. They do not feel comfortable, because it seems many of the residents act uncomfortable whenever they see a person that does not have the same skin tone as them.

Why go somewhere where it is obvious the folks don't want you there. It almost seems like whenever you go to a private business or place of establishment, the person on the other side, who is most likely white starts acting awkward or different whenever they see a black person. I remember going to the bed bath and beyond in that neighborhood, and I just couldn't help the fact that I was being followed by this one Caucasian women. I also went to a lincoln park dental office for service and they refused to do the service for me. I said the sign says you do this service, they told me not today. I posted a negatiove ad about them on yelp and one of there staff members called me the following day, since I did fill out the visitor card, about the review. All I can say it was hilarious.

Back to the article, I know it probably goes on behind the scenes all over America, but it always comes out in Chicago. I rarely hear about this in New York, Philadelphia, LA. Also why is it that residents who are primarily white in LP, LV, WP, GC and all the other trendy neighborhoods in the north side of Chicago act so giddy and awkward whenever a black person confronts them. In other predominantly white neighborhoods in other big cities, more times than not they act cool, willing to help. They make it seem like they want our business. As one poster pointed out, for the residents living in Lincoln Park, you are probably going to live in that neighborhood for 2-3 years tops before moving back to the same all white town, or suburb you came from, at least make an effort to try to understand people from different ethnic backgrounds. Something strange is going on in these neighborhoods, and I think it is hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
It's basically the same in most big cities...

The "hate" given by people in areas on the west/south sides seems to be a lot more intense and vocal than anything I've seen on the north side.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM

101 posts, read 172,050 times
This is interesting to hear about regarding the LVLP area, especially I'm going to be living there starting next month. Whether it is true or not, I think if there really is a racist element in the Northside, it might be more out of fear. Because you're talking about an area of yuppie-types who hear about the Southside through the news, and the last thing they want is to run a risk. They see a black person and they don't know whether this is your average law-abiding citizen or someone whose mugshot might appear in the headlines next to some caption about some kid getting shot over a ballcap. And at a base-level, where you're talking about passing someone on the street or dealing with them as a customer, this is usually what first goes on their minds. Because they're not going to have the time to really find out about this person. They just go off of base instincts.

Coming from California, the stuff I hear on the news about the Southside (or specific neighborhoods in the Southside rather) is pretty ridiculous. I mean to an extreme. I don't know what's in the water down there, but they've got a fair share of animals, sick freaks, and flat-out angry impulsive people I would say worse than anything I've ever heard around Los Angeles. And it doesn't help when the mugshot is a black person 75% of the time. It doesn't help the image of your average anonymous African-American.

While being AA doesn't make a person more prone to crime and not every AA is from Englewood, Chicago does seem to have a very high statistical crime-race correlation, or at least the news make it seem that way. This means on average, the statistical probability of a criminal being black is higher. This is not so much an opinion, but math talking. It doesn't mean blacks are more likely to be criminals, but you're talking about fearful citizens used to low crime who don't want to hear about another stabbing in their community. Factor in the constant news reports of shootings, rapes, and burglaries in AA-dense areas, and the recent string of flash mobs and random thug activity on the Northside and this is usually how your average low-risk yuppie thinks, especially when you're talking about business owners or people who come from the suburbs.

I'm not trying to validate racial-profiling and it isn't fair to wonder if a person might be a fiend or a criminal upon seeing them, but it is a fact of life when you're in the city, dealing with a variety of people you'll never truly get to know. I have to agree that perhaps Chicago has a bit of racial paranoia fed by its situation, at least more than anything I've noticed in the West Coast.

Another potential factor is that if you're the more outspoken, louder-type AA, you probably wouldn't mesh with a more soft-spoken crowd.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
and I had a man tell me he was proud of all the Negroes that get educated like me.
What's wrong with that? You'd be happier if he said he was disgusted with Negroes that were educated?

When people are rapped for having good intentions they might think they might as well have bad ones; Hell, it's a lot more fun to.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
Is he not equally proud of other races for being educated? Why the extra pride for me and my race?
Perhaps he's aware of the hard row Blacks have been forced to hoe and thinks that your having achieved an education is worthy of more pride than, oh say, a Wasp from Winnetka having achieved the same thing. If so he'd have a point.

An odd thing too with older white people; many who were racist in the past are far less so now and their newer attitudes can be a cause of awkwardness. You seem aware of this but I wanted to mention it.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Perhaps he's aware of the hard row Blacks have been forced to hoe and thinks that your having achieved an education is worthy of more pride than, oh say, a Wasp from Winnetka having achieved the same thing.
I understand this, and I'm always more impressed by someone who had to put in some hard work to be successful than I am by someone legacying his way into Princeton. Still, such remarks are often made with belittling condescension. "Oh, well aren't you pretty. And you're so articulate too!"

Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,514 times
man...this is a complicated subject and i'm sure i'll go to the grave before it's resolved. i think anyone that says they're completely free of prejudices is a liar. we've all had certain experiences or have been exposed to certain cultures which leave a bad taste in our mouth and unless we force ourselves to temper our instincts and feelings by noticing the good along with the bad, we'll fall into the trap of racism.

for example, i spent a number of years living in one of the worst areas of fort wayne while i was growing up. our place was repeatedly robbed and i had members of my family beat up by a bunch of thugs. there were about 10 homicides in a 1 mile radius of our house and we constantly heard gunshots.

i have to force myself to recognize that even though it was a certain minority that committed the crimes, a member of that same minority brought the perpetrators to our house and made him apologize, members were victims of the same violent crimes we feared, and shared the same hopes and dreams my parents had.

i think the neighborhoods you mentioned might be a little on edge because of the crap that's been going on around boystown. there are urban yoots (did you say yoots? yeah, two yoots. what is a yoot? oh, excuse me, your honor. two youths) showing up and causing trouble and people might be a little cautious for that reason. having said that, it doesn't excuse racism and only feeds the anger that seems to be causing the problems.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
i think the neighborhoods you mentioned might be a little on edge because of the crap that's been going on around boystown. there are urban yoots (did you say yoots? yeah, two yoots. what is a yoot? oh, excuse me, your honor. two youths) showing up and causing trouble and people might be a little cautious for that reason. having said that, it doesn't excuse racism and only feeds the anger that seems to be causing the problems.
I guess my issue with boystown is they are carrying out the same type of prejudice that gays fall victim to.

There are many black gays that dont patronize the bars in boystown due to their feeling of racism.

This goes back much further than the flashmob mess.

Will the issue ever be resolved? Probably not. But dont expect the world to respect you if you cant respect others.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM

11 posts, read 46,053 times
I live in LV, and I do not mind AA's at all, as I work with a lot of them and they are very nice people. However, when I'm walking down the street alone and come across an individual AA man, or a group, it makes me very nervous. I'm not racist, but when everyday I read the Chicago Tribune and constantly read about stabbings, shootings, muggings, with mugshots of the criminals which are 90% AA, all I can think is that I don't want to be the next victim.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 PM

191 posts, read 361,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitownguy27 View Post
I live in LV, and I do not mind AA's at all, as I work with a lot of them and they are very nice people. However, when I'm walking down the street alone and come across an individual AA man, or a group, it makes me very nervous. I'm not racist, but when everyday I read the Chicago Tribune and constantly read about stabbings, shootings, muggings, with mugshots of the criminals which are 90% AA, all I can think is that I don't want to be the next victim.
Assumptions get people killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago