Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 08:27 AM

14,796 posts, read 17,833,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Now I don't know, maybe it's different here in Chicago (I'm new), but if the fear of the "wrong side of town" here is anything like anywhere else I've lived, the actual dangers are wildly overblown, and if you just behave like a normal person, your chances of being hit by a car are better than being hit by another human being.
You've got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 PM

78 posts, read 87,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Billy Caldwell (Suaganash) who was a player in early Chicago politics and whom a neighborhood and a forest preserve here are named after.
As well as a street.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 6,219,034 times
Well let's see. People have been hating each other since humans first began walking upright, so I'm sure it will be any day now!

Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,140,398 times
Good point humans in nature always find something to dislike anyone who does not share their belief or thought.

So based on this I really do not see the problem getting any better anytime soon.

It is not like your going to change the way humans think by instinct.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:56 PM

896 posts, read 1,408,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't see what's unfair about lumping the two together. They are contiguous and virtually identical in every meaningful way from the demographic makeup to the built environment. If you don't know which street divides one from the other, you wouldn't know where one stops and the other starts.
I agree with that. However as an African American woman, I have had slightly better social experiences in Lakeview versus Lincoln Park. When I was in Chicago I had even considered Lakeview. Lincoln Park was not even a consideration it just felt a little more hostile even though similar.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:33 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,990,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I agree with that. However as an African American woman, I have had slightly better social experiences in Lakeview versus Lincoln Park. When I was in Chicago I had even considered Lakeview. Lincoln Park was not even a consideration it just felt a little more hostile even though similar.
All of this racism talk about LP is overblown. LP is considered to be the land of Chads and Trixies...chances are blacks won't like as will the vast vast majority of white people...it's a different crowd much like Boystown is, and Wicker Park is and Bronzeville is and Mt. Greenwood is....etc etc....LP is hostile to all non-Chads and Trixies...get over it black people, it's not just you!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
It just hurts to see allegations like this occurring in Chicago. Lincoln Park nightclub biased against blacks, says ex-manager - Chicago Sun-Times

Now I know this probably happens everywhere in United States, and most club owners have the right to refuse service if they do not follow a dress code. However, why does it seem like in some of Chicago's trendy neighborhoods, like Lincoln Park, WP, GC, accusations of racism is an ongoing occurrence. It is flat out discriminatory, if you tell your manager to limit the number of black customers in thier club.

I am tired of hearing Caucasians people, blindingly living those neighborhoods state that there is nothing wrong, and it is a great place where all people mingle and get together. That is ludicrous, and I am beginning to think for some strange reason when most white folks move into these hotspots in Chicago, they develop these racist tendencies. There is an obvious racial element in this neighborhood, and most residents who reside there need to take a look at themselves.

There is a reason why these neighborhoods are predominantly white. Most black professionals, like my friends, and black people in general do not feel welcome when they go or visit a place like Lincoln Park, LV and the other trendy neighborhoods. They do not feel comfortable, because it seems many of the residents act uncomfortable whenever they see a person that does not have the same skin tone as them.

Why go somewhere where it is obvious the folks don't want you there. It almost seems like whenever you go to a private business or place of establishment, the person on the other side, who is most likely white starts acting awkward or different whenever they see a black person. I remember going to the bed bath and beyond in that neighborhood, and I just couldn't help the fact that I was being followed by this one Caucasian women. I also went to a lincoln park dental office for service and they refused to do the service for me. I said the sign says you do this service, they told me not today. I posted a negatiove ad about them on yelp and one of there staff members called me the following day, since I did fill out the visitor card, about the review. All I can say it was hilarious.

Back to the article, I know it probably goes on behind the scenes all over America, but it always comes out in Chicago. I rarely hear about this in New York, Philadelphia, LA. Also why is it that residents who are primarily white in LP, LV, WP, GC and all the other trendy neighborhoods in the north side of Chicago act so giddy and awkward whenever a black person confronts them. In other predominantly white neighborhoods in other big cities, more times than not they act cool, willing to help. They make it seem like they want our business. As one poster pointed out, for the residents living in Lincoln Park, you are probably going to live in that neighborhood for 2-3 years tops before moving back to the same all white town, or suburb you came from, at least make an effort to try to understand people from different ethnic backgrounds. Something strange is going on in these neighborhoods, and I think it is hate.
Umm...you do realize you live in perhaps the most racially segregated city/metro area in the country right? I don't think they develop racist tendancies after they move to LP when they move there in the 1st place because it is all white...to each his or her own...don't patronize the places where you feel unwelcome but don't be paranoid about it either...if someone white doesn't hold the door for you chances are they don't do it for anyone...I found the rudest people to be in LP/Lakeview...odd folks, most of whom seem scared to death...

Old 09-07-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Most people have bad social experiences in LP...you're thinking that all white people would have positive experiences in LP by prefacing your race in your comment.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 AM

896 posts, read 1,408,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
All of this racism talk about LP is overblown. LP is considered to be the land of Chads and Trixies...chances are blacks won't like as will the vast vast majority of white people...it's a different crowd much like Boystown is, and Wicker Park is and Bronzeville is and Mt. Greenwood is....etc etc....LP is hostile to all non-Chads and Trixies...get over it black people, it's not just you!

Thats a perspective I never thought about. I did not realize most whites would possibly not be comfortable either. It does occur me now that it is just a different type of crowd because I have been in Naperville, other parts of the Chicago area and went to school in Oakland County Michigan which it is very white and I did not have a problem. I guess I thought it would be the same in Lincoln Park or other genitified parts, but I guess not. I have just learned not hang out there and not look for acceptance or approval because I feel that is what I was doing and I was in my 20s thinking this is where I am suppose to be. My piece of advice go where you are comfortable and dont spend too much energy trying to fit in places you should just because you think you are suppose to.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,025,890 times
Quote:
Thats a perspective I never thought about. I did not realize most whites would possibly not be comfortable either. It does occur me now that it is just a different type of crowd because I have been in Naperville, other parts of the Chicago area and went to school in Oakland County Michigan which it is very white and I did not have a problem. I guess I thought it would be the same in Lincoln Park or other genitified parts, but I guess not. I have just learned not hang out there and not look for acceptance or approval because I feel that is what I was doing and I was in my 20s thinking this is where I am suppose to be. My piece of advice go where you are comfortable and dont spend too much energy trying to fit in places you should just because you think you are suppose to.

I never even considered living in LP when I was in my 20's. Totally not my type of crowd. I'm glad somebody brought that up. I think LP is a lot of the people who in the in crowd and high school, and in some ways never left those days behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago