Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,433,855 times

Advertisements

Chicago. If you don't like it, you can shove it?
I've read a lot of negative stuff on City Data in regards to Chicago.
Crime, segregation, racism, corruption, parking woes.
And then there's also b.s. talk about how we are this and we are that. "I don't feel safe there." "People are rude." "I've never seen a place more backward."
Also comments saying we are the next Detroit.

Basically, mostly stuff I've never really thought about growing up there, in the city for ~25 years. (I'm out of state currently due to work)
I've never really had a negative feeling about the city. I've always loved everything that it is, even the bad. I think a true Chicagoan should not be affected or beaten down by the city, the people, the outsiders, the media, or anyone else.
I think there is a certain grit to the city, and a certain grit to Chicagoans that people who spread fear or talk hate don't and won't ever have.

I think there's also a certain middle of the road, yet pompous attitude that Chicagoans have as well that says "You can have your New Yorks, your LAs, your San Frans, your Houstons, your Seattles and keep 'em." I think Chicago is the great at a few things, mediocre at some, and poor at others. But yet we claim to be the "best" at everything because, who cares what those other guys have?
I'm happy with what we have and my mindset is, if you don't like it, good! We don't need any weak-willed crybabies. We need people who embrace the city, for the grit and the grime, because they truly appreciate the beauty of it all.

So, does the negativity bother you? Why or why not?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,074,682 times
What negativity?

People often project and see what they want.

I see a great place with a fun city and nice people.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,493,153 times
I agree that many parts of Chicago are quite pleasant / fun.

There are many "nice" people in the region as well.

The realization that more and more folks are coming to about just how awful our state has been run and the kinds of financial tricks that have been used to try to keep the fiction alive is probably too late to reverse the inevitability of massive property tax increases, likely income tax increases and a whole host of other things that will make it much more expensive to live here, diminish the desire of employers to remain here and wipe out what ever equity folks have in their homes.

This is 100% the result of people not giving a moment's thought to the kinds of thieves they've been told to elect...

Old 08-28-2013, 04:04 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,727,882 times
It's the internet, so no.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:14 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,608,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's the internet, so no.
Exactly. Fortunately, I don't encounter the type of Chicago negativity among people I meet in person that I see on this forum. I think it's due in large part to the fact that most of the really negative posts here come from people who don't actually live here.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,838,344 times
The internet is a cesspool of complainers, whiners, and @ssholes. Have you ever met a truly successful person, beautiful woman, or wonderfully nice person who spends time trolling on internet forums? Of course not.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,223,833 times
It only bothers me in the same way that lies and ignorance bother me on any subject. Part of me is actually proud of Chicago because it - most of the people who go on these weird anti Chicago rants live in some generic pissant burg that no one even gives a single thought about.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,493,153 times
I am constantly impressed by the earth shattering uniqueness that is exhibited by inhabits of parts of Chicago that are on the verge of having all the originallity of your average Disney Channel teen dramedy and their ability to stick their head in the sand about the very things that will keep them from every having a shot at being happy.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,074,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

There are many "nice" people in the region as well.

The realization that more and more folks are coming to about just how awful our state has been run and the kinds of financial tricks that have been used to try to keep the fiction alive is probably too late to reverse the inevitability of massive property tax increases, likely income tax increases and a whole host of other things that will make it much more expensive to live here, diminish the desire of employers to remain here and wipe out what ever equity folks have in their homes. ...
Ahhhh there is your problem.
You are talking about two different things.

Our politicians are crooks ( "Welcome to Illinois where are governors make our license plates"), our taxes are going up and a whole host of other things.

YET

We are still happy and friendly people who appreciate the city we live in.

The two are not inseparable or even directly related.
I think you just need a big Midwestern Hug, or to enjoy a baseball game on a summer afternoon when you are supposed to be at work, or a sail on the lake, or enjoy a free concert in Millennium Park, or visit the museums on free Tuesdays, or ride the 'L and see the city, or bike the largest lakefront bike path, or see the free award winning zoo, or picnic in Lincoln Park, one of the largest parks in the US, or see one of the free movies in the park, or take free dance lessons in grant Park, or swim at the beach, or play volleyball in the worlds largest volleyball league, or go the an ethnic festival or parade, or one of the many art fairs, or......... well, you get my point.

And it's not 'love it or leave it' people are saying to you. It's if it makes you unhappy then please find your happy place. Don't sit in a spot that makes you miserable.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,223,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am constantly impressed by the earth shattering uniqueness that is exhibited by inhabits of parts of Chicago that are on the verge of having all the originallity of your average Disney Channel teen dramedy and their ability to stick their head in the sand about the very things that will keep them from every having a shot at being happy.
I'm actually quite happy. What's really hilarious is that you are consistently pessimistic and unhappy in almost all of your posts here. You're the last person who should be bringing "happy" into the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago