Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,914,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The first generation of Americans to not live as materially well as the one before...
Every generation thinks it's the first to not live as materially well as the one before because when you're young, you don't have any money, while your parents and other people your parents' age do. I also started out broke, since I had a fancy education but couldn't actually do anything. Now I am not broke, and if you hone a valuable skill over the next 30 years, you too will have plenty of money, since you live in a mostly free country with mostly free markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Every generation thinks it's the first to not live as materially well as the one before because when you're young, you don't have any money, while your parents and other people your parents' age do. I also started out broke, since I had a fancy education but couldn't actually do anything. Now I am not broke, and if you hone a valuable skill over the next 30 years, you too will have plenty of money, since you live in a mostly free country with mostly free markets.
You as an individual did well, swell. That doesn't mean there isn't less opportunity overall than there was in the past. And with less opportunity less people do well materially. Strategies that work well for individuals don't necessarily translate into strategies that work well for societies.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default It is about right place at the right time...

Quote:
You as an individual did well, swell. That doesn't mean there isn't less opportunity overall than there was in the past. And with less opportunity less people do well materially. Strategies that work well for individuals don't necessarily translate into strategies that work well for societies.
There was a brief period from the end of WWII to some point during the Nixon administration when "the right place" was pretty much anywhere in the US with any kind of factory / mill / mine. Lots of people with no particular skills made out like bandits as the rest of world recovered from the devastation of the most ruinous war in history.

Now if you have specialized skills you can do really well regardless of economic hard times -- there are folks that are cranking out half baked ideas to sell ads on the Internet raking in more dough than any robber baron of the Gilded Age. There are folks at the top tiers of consolidating healthcare firms that are getting payouts that would make Wall Street bankers jealous. There are guys that retired from a couple of easy government jobs in Illinips that get lifetime income of over $300k/ year, that is the kind of money that you need to have put away tens of millions to earn...

The "hipsters" are too unmotivated to see that the opportunity around them, or perhaps their contrary nature is all that compels them to eschew traditional paths of success...

Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The "hipsters" are too unmotivated to see that the opportunity around them, or perhaps their contrary nature is all that compels them to eschew traditional paths of success...
Don't be fooled. Most people who appear to be "hipsters" in neighborhoods like Wicker Park are college-educated professionals.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Hipsters are OK, they're often people who were raised to be middle class and ended up working class, in that class but not OF that class, and so in their understandable confusion started their own scene to fit into. The first generation of Americans to not live as materially well as the one before, that will have results, indeed, this hipster thing may be seen as the most benign one before it's over.
Or they are just trying to appear to not fit in to the middle class, but really still have middle class jobs.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Or they are just trying to appear to not fit in to the middle class, but really still have middle class jobs.
No doubt but I don't often run into those ones.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think a lot of them would love to have even a lower-middle class job. I can't tell you how many people I know with PhDs, Master's degrees, etc. who are working in temp capacity, or are in their field but are making less than 40K.

Irishtom is right, the jobs/industry just aren't there. You can thank whatever geniuses thought "free trade" aka globalization (sending jobs to sweatshop-friendly countries which violently suppress organized labor) was going to be good for anybody but America's 1 percenters.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,960 times
Yet all I keep hearing about is how they can't find enough people with Math skills, Engineering or Science degrees...

Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Irishtom is right, the jobs/industry just aren't there. You can thank whatever geniuses thought "free trade" aka globalization (sending jobs to sweatshop-friendly countries which violently suppress organized labor) was going to be good for anybody but America's 1 percenters.
Pretty much all of the "hipsters" I know are gainfully employed. But I guess the "everyone I know" sample set is hardly statistically significant, so I will concede that there is another world out there that I am not necessarily a part of.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM

I saw this, and was reminded of the thread. The original Craigslist post has been taken down, but Chicagoist has preserved a portion of it for future readings.

Here's The Best 'Bike For Sale' Classified You'll Ever Read: Chicagoist

Unfortunately most of the best stuff is omitted, and they left the annoying "bro" stuff at the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago