Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:24 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
and I also love being around people who choose a career path they are passionate about regardless of the job market, and worry about making a living if that doesn't work out later. (Aka: screenwriting, acting, songwriting/music industry, etc.)
I sure as hell hope you aren't attributing the opposite to Chicago, because if so that has to be one of the most frivolous things I've heard anybody say on this forum. If you didn't meet people who were passionate about their own career/jobs here, then sorry to say but you were hanging around the wrong people.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:15 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I sure as hell hope you aren't attributing the opposite to Chicago, because if so that has to be one of the most frivolous things I've heard anybody say on this forum. If you didn't meet people who were passionate about their own career/jobs here, then sorry to say but you were hanging around the wrong people.
Whoah! whoah! whoah! I wasn't say anything of the sorts! No I absolutely did meet countless people passionate about their careers and jobs!

I was simply referring to idealistic vs. pragmatic. And LA does stand out as a city where people have more idealistic career goals vs. pragmatic. (again, the songwriter/music industry, screenwriter/acting, stand up comedy).

Many people actually don't find that appealing about LA. But I kind of like it.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 PM

^ Gotcha. I was implying it from what you wrote. I think Chicago has a lot of that. There may not be as much of a support for it here versus LA, at least in certain entertainment realms, but I do have a bunch of friends like what you'd find in LA here. There are many people in Chicago who are actors, musicians, and writers and they get most of their money from working at bars, cafes, odd jobs, etc.

I think it has a good balance, just like LA actually has a good balance of creative and more standard industry. There are more people like that in LA, but Chicago has quite a bit of it too in reality.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,627 times
The title of this thread is false and misleading because it assumes all of the smartest people in the Midwest move to Chicago. That obviously is not the case. Many stay where they are and many go elsewhere, not Chicago. A more accurate title would be why do some to many go there. That would be fair and more accurate.

The answer to why do some people do it, is diverse. For some it is job opportunities. For others it isn't. It's an opportunity to live in a larger urban area for a while and experience all the things that come with that.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
The title of this thread is false and misleading because it assumes all of the smartest people in the Midwest move to Chicago. That obviously is not the case. Many stay where they are and many go elsewhere, not Chicago. A more accurate title would be why do some to many go there. That would be fair and more accurate.

The answer to why do some people do it, is diverse. For some it is job opportunities. For others it isn't. It's an opportunity to live in a larger urban area for a while and experience all the things that come with that.
It doesn't assume "all" of the smartest move to chicago, as in literally every single person does. That is impossible, and they are assuming the reader is intelligent enough to figure this out. They are saying that out of the smartest people in the Midwest, the largest majority choose chicago even after accounting for size of he city. They are saying chicago is most desirable to the best and brightest in he Midwest.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
It doesn't assume "all" of the smartest move to chicago, as in literally every single person does. That is impossible, and they are assuming the reader is intelligent enough to figure this out. They are saying that out of the smartest people in the Midwest, the largest majority choose chicago even after accounting for size of he city. They are saying chicago is most desirable to the best and brightest in he Midwest.
This has already been proven wrong if you consider graduates of places like UChicago, Northwestern and Michigan grad schools as "the smartest" More people go elsewhere than Chicago.

If you consider undergrads from Indiana, Iowa State and OSU the smartest, then, it makes more sense. Nobody has yet to provide any stats where top 10% or top 5% grads or Honors students from these universities go.

The article is complete conjecture and mostly boosting aspects that are cool in Chicago, it doesn't even talk about where graduates actually go, just that Chicago is cooler than midwest counterparts like Cleveland and Detroit. There is nothing about education via GPA, where they went, high income salaries, prestigious jobs, or brightest workers in the article whatsoever.

When an article has to name drop Obama to talk about UChicago I just shake my head. Then makes ignorant statements such as "if the steel mills didn't fail, Obama wouldn't have become president" The author is taking crazy leaps in logic.

Also, the article only compares other cities in the region like Detroit, Indianapolis, Milwaukee.

As several of us has stated, depending on what you consider the "smartest" people, a larger percentage of the graduates from the best schools leave the midwest entirely. Chicago can hold on to some of those people more so than Midwest peers but other Midwest cities are most definitely struggling to attract top grads.

Last edited by grapico; 12-29-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
If you consider undergrads from Indiana, Iowa State and OSU the smartest, then, it makes more sense. Nobody has yet to provide any stats where top 10% or top 5% grads or Honors students from these universities go.
Is there even data for it? It would be really interesting to see for any university, especially major or well regarded ones. I know when I graduated, we were asked if we were relocating elsewhere and during the graduation ceremony it was stated for each person.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Is there even data for it? It would be really interesting to see for any university, especially major or well regarded ones. I know when I graduated, we were asked if we were relocating elsewhere and during the graduation ceremony it was stated for each person.
Many schools publish their own data, especially graduate schools like law, mba, med, engineering. You can go on top law schools dot com and browse quite a few like that, to give a taste. I'm not sure of another "big site" that compiles them though... but it might be on the admissions pages of the uni websites if you poke around.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:36 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This has already been proven wrong if you consider graduates of places like UChicago, Northwestern and Michigan grad schools as "the smartest" More people go elsewhere than Chicago.

The article is complete conjecture and mostly boosting aspects that are cool in Chicago, it doesn't even talk about where graduates actually go, just that Chicago is cooler than midwest counterparts like Cleveland and Detroit. There is nothing about education via GPA, where they went, high income salaries, prestigious jobs, or brightest workers in the article whatsoever.

When an article has to name drop Obama to talk about UChicago I just shake my head. Then makes ignorant statements such as "if the steel mills didn't fail, Obama wouldn't have become president" The author is taking crazy leaps in logic.

Also, the article only compares other cities in the region like Detroit, Indianapolis, Milwaukee.

As several of us has stated, depending on what you consider the "smartest" people, a larger percentage of the graduates from the best schools leave the midwest entirely. Chicago can hold on to some of those people more so than Midwest peers but other Midwest cities are most definitely struggling to attract top grads.
They aren't comparing to the east coast. The author is comparing the best and the brightest that choose to stay in the Midwest usually choose chicago over other other Midwestern cities. He didn't once mention the east coast.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
They aren't comparing to the east coast. The author is comparing the best and the brightest that choose to stay in the Midwest usually choose chicago over other other Midwestern cities. He didn't once mention the east coast.
Ok, but then what is the point of the article?

I'm sure that if you compare any time in history since the Civil War or so, Chicago has been the biggest destination point for college grads within the Midwest. Why would Detroit or Cleveland or Milwaukee draw more college grads than Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago