Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

^ Except only one person used the word "Troll." One person != everyone. Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 AM

144 posts, read 146,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Except only one person used the word "Troll." One person != everyone. Everyone should be entitled to their own opinion.

One person on 'this' thread, but I've read other threads where Chicagoans blow a gasket if someone does not like their city. They start calling the posters trolls. You are right, everyone deserves their own opinion. I felt I was very respectful in my postings.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
One person on 'this' thread, but I've read other threads where Chicagoans blow a gasket if someone does not like their city. They start calling the posters trolls. You are right, everyone deserves their own opinion. I felt I was very respectful in my postings.
Yeah that's really only like two or three posters who do it over and over again.. Respectful? Yes. Close minded? A little bit. Your own opinion? Absolutely. Not everywhere is for everyone. The good thing is that we can move from one location to another if we don't like it.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Keep in mind, the article ranks cities about men who say that have had upwards of seven or more sexual partners.

They mention that New York and San Francisco came in last, two of the least masculine and most liberal cities. Else in the top five are surprisingly Southern "Bible Belt" cities including Birmingham, AL and Oklahoma City, OK.

I think it might correlate somewhat with simple, pure machismo. The South has more machismo, and compared to Chicagos world class peers is also more "macho".

Exaggerating, and stretching the truth about a mans sexual partners is a more "macho" trait, characteristic of any subculture where one might be quick to questions your sexual orientation if you have not had a certain number of partners.
On the other end of that, many very promiscuous people intentionally under-report because they don't want to be judged as "slutty." That's even true in places in San Francisco - in the gay community, where a public desire to be perceived as vigilant against HIV and other STDs often runs into conflict with personal desires for sexual expression or gratification, it's not at all uncommon to run into "do as I say, not as I do" types.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's really only like two or three posters who do it over and over again.. Respectful? Yes. Close minded? A little bit. Your own opinion? Absolutely. Not everywhere is for everyone. The good thing is that we can move from one location to another if we don't like it.
To call someone a troll just for giving an opinion is not exactly open minded, but it is what it is.

I honestly do not think Chicagoans on CD realize how bitter and rude they come across.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
To call someone a troll just for giving an opinion is not exactly open minded, but it is what it is.

I honestly do not think Chicagoans on CD realize how bitter and rude they come across.
1) It's an internet forum. Some people just don't give a **** how rude/bitter they come across and really at the end of the day, a city is judged by how people in the city itself act, not how people behave on a forum. At the end of the day, it's a subset of BARELY anybody in Chicago, let alone Illinois, or the US, or the world.

2) it's definitely not just a "Chicago Forum" thing. I have seen it enough on other sub forums on this site before.

3) If it bothers you so much, why not contact a moderator or the person calling out "trolls?" I have no impact on these people.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
1) It's an internet forum. Some people just don't give a **** how rude/bitter they come across and really at the end of the day, a city is judged by how people in the city itself act, not how people behave on a forum. At the end of the day, it's a subset of BARELY anybody in Chicago, let alone Illinois, or the US, or the world.

2) it's definitely not just a "Chicago Forum" thing. I have seen it enough on other sub forums on this site before.

3) If it bothers you so much, why not contact a moderator or the person calling out "trolls?" I have no impact on these people.

I do not recall stating it bothered me a whole lot. I just made a statement as to how I see things.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I do not recall stating it bothered me a whole lot. I just made a statement as to how I see things.
Then leave it at that. You may think you're being respectful and your tone mostly was, but at the end of the day, when you call a people "boring" and "unattractive," it is going to attract some animosity and defensiveness. There is no need to keep this going.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Then leave it at that. You may think you're being respectful and your tone mostly was, but at the end of the day, when you call a people "boring" and "unattractive," it is going to attract some animosity and defensiveness. There is no need to keep this going.
ok, but many of my posts were just in response to yours.

Have a great day.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Ok, I'll leave it that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago