Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 7,673 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago with my boyfriend in July and we're getting so confused on our apartment hunt. There are just so many different apartment websites, listings, restrictions, and guidelines for what streets to avoid.

I have been browsing these forums for a while but am still getting stressed out about the move.

Do you have any tips on what sites/management companies are a waste of time? Best ways to find apartments?

We are looking for something in the North side (typical Lakeview/Buena Park/Roscoe Village area) or the safer parts of the west side (east village/bucktown/parts of Logan Square/maybe the University Village). Our budget is only $1,200 for a one bedroom with a dog, so unfortunately this rules out a lot of options.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated! We are headed there this week and I'm setting up meetings with some apartments we're interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,231,281 times
That budget should be doable in some of those neighborhoods. It might be difficult in Lakeview, Roscoe Village, Bucktown (depending on how far you stretch its boundaries), and University Village (a private development of fairly new units affiliated with UIC) for a true one bedroom, though. Buena Park (Uptown), East Village, much of Logan Square, and places that real estate agents will try to convince you are in Bucktown should be pretty doable.

I would recommend, when you're here, walking around the neighborhoods you're interested in, looking for "for rent" signs, calling the numbers on them, and being prepared to write a check when you find something you like.

Craigslist can be okay for setting stuff up ahead of time, but there are a lot of agents and bait-and-switch artists on there.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,060,671 times
$1200/month is pretty much doable in most any neighborhood for a one bedroom. For the website, it depends on the housing stock you want. If you want to go with a BUILDING, then I'd recommend something like Rent.com (which is owned by Yahoo) or a similar site such as My New Place (I think that's what it's called). If you want a smaller type of place or more independent, then a site like Domu.com is good or go to the Chicago Reader (Chicago Reader - News & Politics, Music & Nightlife, Arts & Culture, Film, Food & Drink, Blogs, Classifieds, Deals) website and look on their rentals section.

Craigslist can be full of scams and it's hard to know, but if you're in town and can set up a meeting with someone who has that, then go for it. Only some of the stuff on there is a scam

Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 PM

367 posts, read 676,829 times
padmapper.com

1200 would easily cover all of the listed neighborhoods

Old 04-22-2013, 07:43 PM

240 posts, read 466,935 times
Domu.com is how I found my place. It's hands-down the best Chicago apartment finder I've seen. Give it a shot if you haven't yet, it's ridiculously easy to use too.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,231,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
padmapper.com

1200 would easily cover all of the listed neighborhoods
"Easily"? An actual 1 BR suitable for a couple and a dog? In Lakeview or Bucktown proper?

Do you have some links to examples?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,403,758 times
If you want to rent in a decent place in Chicago, is a dog a deal breaker?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
If you want to rent in a decent place in Chicago, is a dog a deal breaker?
Depends on the size and type of dog. In some neighborhoods, such as River North, it is harder to find, but it's doable. However, if you have an 80 pound dog, you probably aren't going to have much luck, if ANY, in somewhere like River North. Have to go outside of that. For *some* apartments though, it can be a dealbreaker because some do not accept any types of dogs.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM

928 posts, read 1,722,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Domu.com is how I found my place. It's hands-down the best Chicago apartment finder I've seen. Give it a shot if you haven't yet, it's ridiculously easy to use too.
Hmm. I'd previously written off Domu because I find their ads to be irritatingly smug, but are they any good? As in wide choice of neighborhoods, price ranges, actually DECENT pictures of the place (f-ing itty bitty thumbnails and pics of the exterior only are pure balls!), etc? Might be ditching my current digs when lease is up.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Hmm. I'd previously written off Domu because I find their ads to be irritatingly smug, but are they any good? As in wide choice of neighborhoods, price ranges, actually DECENT pictures of the place (f-ing itty bitty thumbnails and pics of the exterior only are pure balls!), etc? Might be ditching my current digs when lease is up.
My girlfriend found her last place through it. It's decent and there seems to be far less scams on it versus ...Craigslist. The site is pretty easy to use and I think most listings have at least one picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago