Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Around 6 hrs to get to San Diego or LA for me. Hell, it used to take me over 3 hrs to reach that WI Dells place, just in time to buy some fudge, then turn around and go home.
If that's the only thing you could figure out to do in the Dells or central Wisconsin, that's a reflection of your spectacular lack of knowledge of or curiosity about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of Flagstaff, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Rocky Point Mexico. No really, your list is great - let me add Gary, IN to the list of fascinating destinations.
If you like Chicago for reasons other than abundant shopping & food, tourist landmarks, and nightlife, the other cities of the Midwest are on par with it, albeit on smaller scales. They are all very different; the great Northern burgs are far from being a homogenous paste. If you don't understand what else there is to enjoy in Chicago besides those things, then no, visiting somewhere like St. Louis is probably not for you, and you are surely better off outside of the Midwest. Neither of us is right, but don't knock it just because you don't get it.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
If you like Chicago for reasons other than abundant shopping & food, tourist landmarks, and nightlife, the other cities of the Midwest are on par with it, albeit on smaller scales. They are all very different; the great Northern burgs are far from being a homogenous paste. If you don't understand what else there is to enjoy in Chicago besides those things, then no, visiting somewhere like St. Louis is probably not for you, and you are surely better off outside of the Midwest. Neither of us is right, but don't knock it just because you don't get it.
Good points. Then again, other than LA and to a lesser extent Vegas, none of the places he listed are exactly meccas of food, shopping, and nightlife, either. I think he just really likes the desert. Nothing wrong with that at all, but nothing wrong with rivers, lakes, and cities, either.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Shipshewana Indiana. It's an Amish tourist town. Lots of Amish everywhere and Amish food stores/retaurants/Amish furniture and Amish auctions. Also neighboring town of Middlebury, IN. Lots of tourists come to shop and eat and be tourists. You can drive through the country rodes and it's like stepping back 100 years in time...you see Amish farms. Everything is closed on Sundays.

It's Approx 3 hrs from metro Chicago. It's less than an hour from the Notre Dame campus which is a nice stop for a quick tour of beautiful buildings.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If that's the only thing you could figure out to do in the Dells or central Wisconsin, that's a reflection of your spectacular lack of knowledge of or curiosity about the area.
I was born and raised there, and I think it's more like your 'spectacular lack of knowledge of or curiosity about any other area'.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Good points. Then again, other than LA and to a lesser extent Vegas, none of the places he listed are exactly meccas of food, shopping, and nightlife, either. I think he just really likes the desert. Nothing wrong with that at all, but nothing wrong with rivers, lakes, and cities, either.
There's more than desert, there' all of the above plus an ocean in the places I mentioned - Phx is a lot less crowded. If I really wanted 'meccas of food, shopping, and nightlife' I guess NY would be the place - and that's about the last place in the world I would want to live.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
I was born and raised there, and I think it's more like your 'spectacular lack of knowledge of or curiosity about any other area'.
You can't do any better than a schoolyard "I know you are but what am I" retort?

If you grew up there then there's that much less excuse for your spectacular lack of knowledge or curiosity if the only thing you can think to do is buy fudge.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:55 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
This is probably a bit late, but if you like wine, one idea is to visit the Missouri Rhineland and do a wine tour of sorts.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
we're going to joy ride down to Michigan, no hotel reservations, just driving and sightseeing till we dont feel like doing it anymore. it should be fun just to drive along the part of the lake that takes you from chicago to upper michigan I hear there are pretty towns along the way which I haven't seen.. should be fun & interesting!!! its things like that that are the most fun - just get up and go like you dont have a care in the world. Weather should be ok, no flooding I hope!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Gary is nothing like it used to be. Still a whole lot of Illinois swimmers at its beaches though. The best thing going for it now is the Air Show which is pretty spectacular, too bad it was cancelled this year due to sequestration. Hopefully the Chicago air show goes on but wonder how since both air shows use Gary/Chicago International as its base of operations (planes landing and taking off).

There were times when the clubs didn't get shot up, cruisin down lake street to lake street beach, bumpin the sounds and everyone just having a good time, no one fighting and shooting. They used to have Chicago night at Screamin Wheels way back where they would bus in Chicago kids (was part of that convoy a few times), getting back home like 1am. Chicago didn't have a skating rink that came close to matching it (yeah my age is showing). So Gary used to be fun way back when but that thug mentality has taken over and apparently thugs hate it when law abiding taxpaying citizens choose to have fun.
Hey do you remember a place in Chesterton, IN, that was an amusement park? We used to go there for grammar school trips every year - was it the Enchanted Forest? That was fun! Do you remember it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago