Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,334 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago to go to SAIC in the fall, and I have two pitbulls that I want to bring with me. They're on the smaller side for the breed (a little under 50 lbs each) and extremely friendly and loving so meeting the landlord wouldn't be an issue. I'm not bringing my car and want to be as close to the school as possible. If anyone has any recommendations of actual apartments or even just areas to look, I would really appreciate it! I haven't had any luck finding any places online so far.

Preferably looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom. I don't want a studio, but I could deal if worse comes to worse. Obviously not going to be too picky since this seems like it's going to be really difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
I'd expand your search way farther than downtown, because it's unlikely that a landlord will allow two.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
I hate dogs in the city. Dogs need a yard to run around and to dig in. Trees to pee on. Leaves to bark at.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Probably won't find it "downtown" and i'd expand your search out a little bit to find it...especially if the pit bulls are larger than 40 lbs

Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Hope your potential landlord didn't hear about this guy. This story got lots of press last year. Guy lost his leg and nearly his remaining foot to a pit bull attack. An alderman even asked the City Council to consider a possible ban on the breed. Here is the story revisited this year:

Pit Bull Attack Victim Still Recovering One Year Later « CBS Chicago

Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
If your landlord asks what kind of dogs you have, tell him they're Staffordshire Terriers.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
I think at one time I used to see a guy with a pit bull who appeared to be living up under the Dan Ryan viaduct over 16th Street and the adjacent railroad tracks. That might be an option.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:48 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkupbaby View Post
I'm moving to Chicago to go to SAIC in the fall, and I have two pitbulls that I want to bring with me. They're on the smaller side for the breed (a little under 50 lbs each) and extremely friendly and loving so meeting the landlord wouldn't be an issue. I'm not bringing my car and want to be as close to the school as possible. If anyone has any recommendations of actual apartments or even just areas to look, I would really appreciate it! I haven't had any luck finding any places online so far.

Preferably looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom. I don't want a studio, but I could deal if worse comes to worse. Obviously not going to be too picky since this seems like it's going to be really difficult.
You're absolutely going to need to look beyond downtown. Most of the large apartment buildings there will have various pet restrictions, whether it's due to size, breed, or number. Honestly, there's no need to limit yourself to downtown- SAIC is highly accessible via multiple train and bus lines.

The key to renting with pit bulls is to focus on private landlords with few units, not mega complexes and buildings with a "one size fits all" mentality. Private landlords will be more willing to meet and work with you one on one.

My roommate/friend has a pit bull and we've been able to rent in Lakeview, East Humboldt Park, Uptown, and were approved for places in Andersonvile, West Loop, Roscoe Village, and Logan Sq (we passed on the latter areas due to a variety of reasons, but all were okay w/ the pibble). Sorry, I can name any specific apartments because these were smaller buildings, often with 4 or fewer units. There's real possibility that you won't be able to rent in the most popular neighborhoods and you'll have to look outside the box a bit, but I would assume that as an art student, you'll want to save money and look into areas popular with "starving art students".

To boost your application, make sure your dogs are neutered, vaccinated, and licensed. Obviously, it would help if you can prove that they're well trained and housebroken. Get references from your current and past landlords, vets, trainers, whatever to vouch for your dogs.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM

89 posts, read 179,275 times
235 W Van Buren allows pitbulls (the condo association), so you should be able to find a landlord in that building that's accommodating. Also the building is connected/right next to a dog park and is 2 minutes walk from a larger park as well.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
You didn't mention your budget , which will drive the size of the place you will be able to rent and stay close to SAIC ..the relatively nearby neighborhoods aren't the cheapest . Most of the rental developments in the area allow only one dog , and some have size ( versus breed) limits . If you rent a condo , many are multi-dog friendly ( mine, for example , allows 2 if they are both under 100 pounds, 1 if there's an extra large pup ..) , but the terms of your lease would be with the landlord. You'll also want to choose a place near a park or 'official; dog park , and schedule your exercise with the pups around how socialized they are - There are de facto 'dog clubs' after work , where both the owners and dogs know each other and socialize accordingly . Others schedule the walks and exercise away from the 'rush hours' , sometimes because of the dogs disposition and tolerance to others . The socialization of your dogs with other dogs in a neutral environment will be important in the city, regardless of where you end up . Good Luck .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: