Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM

577 posts, read 670,008 times

Advertisements

I don't mind a small 80s TV in a bar playing some old Kung Fu/gangster/avant garde VHS tapes. Been to a couple of dive/hipster bars that have that. If they're 50" TVs just playing sports it can spoil the atmosphere a bit though, and can be distracting. I'd say only half the bars I go to in Orlando have TVs, and some of them will either be playing a cool movie or videos of whatever songs are playing. It's quite nice to have one behind the bar so if you're there on your own you can look like you're doing something and not just staring at their range of liquor/the barmaid's cleavage. But y'know, be creative, stick in a DVD of some old movie or something, not everyone wants to watch the Cubs losing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM

102 posts, read 132,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I hate hearing about shootings and murders every day. We get used to it somewhat, but this isn't common in most big cities. Not to this degree.

The panhandlers downtown also get on my nerves, especially by the Chicago red line. When they're walking with you and you can't shake them, you run low of options.

Also people who cry about racism nonstop; there's an above average number of them in this city - many of whom have made careers about it - and they choose those battles over things like crime and bad schools. For instance the schools' closing issue - how in the world can a person with above-retarded intelligence make a claim that these are racist decisions by the city and school boards.
I'm sure it would be perceived differently if the majority of the schools closing weren't located in minority neighborhoods. Is it in-fact motivated by race? Maybe not. Closing under-performing schools is understandable but of course when the schools are underfunded they probably aren't going to perform well in the first place........

Old 04-29-2013, 03:24 PM

359 posts, read 549,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
I'm sure it would be perceived differently if the majority of the schools closing weren't located in minority neighborhoods. Is it in-fact motivated by race? Maybe not. Closing under-performing schools is understandable but of course when the schools are underfunded they probably aren't going to perform well in the first place........
Although I support the decisions made to shut down the schools in places like the South Side, I can see where some people would jump to conclusions and say that it was "racist" to do so.

But the cold hard truth, is that the South and West sides have been seriously depopulated, and it is simple economics to want to close the schools in neighborhoods that now have smaller populations.

Personnally, I appluad the closing of the schools; we need to basically "rip-and-replace" these failed neighborhoods.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Although I support the decisions made to shut down the schools in places like the South Side, I can see where some people would jump to conclusions and say that it was "racist" to do so.

But the cold hard truth, is that the South and West sides have been seriously depopulated, and it is simple economics to want to close the schools in neighborhoods that now have smaller populations.

Personnally, I appluad the closing of the schools; we need to basically "rip-and-replace" these failed neighborhoods.
I agree with you but I quoted that post because it's really not hard to ask that question all things considered.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:30 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
I don't mind a small 80s TV in a bar playing some old Kung Fu/gangster/avant garde VHS tapes. Been to a couple of dive/hipster bars that have that.
Simone's, per chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
If they're 50" TVs just playing sports it can spoil the atmosphere a bit though, and can be distracting.
For sure. I personally love Simone's with its one TV showing random B movies, Honky Tonk with its one TV that is almost never on, and Skylark with its zero TVs. Unfortunately I have a friend who doesn't consider it to be a proper bar unless it has a wall of TVs showing every possible sporting event occurring on the planet at that moment.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:37 PM

577 posts, read 670,008 times
Those are ones in Orlando I'm talking about (it's a lot less of a "sport" city), but I'll definitely check out Simone's.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 AM

473 posts, read 760,964 times
Quote:
Aren't over 85% of CPS students black and Hispanic? How could those populations not be affected?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
Aren't over 85% of CPS students black and Hispanic? How could those populations not be affected?
Yes, good point.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMartha View Post
That's a valid point, now I would like to see what percentage of CPS schools are servicing the 8% white population versus what percentage are servicing brown students, wonder if it's an even spread.......

Old 05-02-2013, 11:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
That's a valid point, now I would like to see what percentage of CPS schools are servicing the 8% white population versus what percentage are servicing brown students, wonder if it's an even spread.......
I don't understand your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago