Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Nonsense, these guys seem to know everything there is to know about Chicago.
It's not non-sense.

Many can fail to see their own ignorance because they have been manipulated through the media.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
I am asking people that know everything there is to know about Chicago, just count how many Chicago threads there are on this one forum, you would think we are actually in the Chicago forum.
Chicago is brought up because of the gun control debate and the desire to ban rifles. Time and time again anti gun people were shown who is committing murder and the weapons they use, as of yet no logical argument has been made supporting a restriction on rifles. No plan has been put forward to actually deal with the cause of violence, just a plan to restrict rifles and magazines as if that is the cause.

If gun control worked then Chicago would be a shining example, if gun control doesn't work then other factors are at play. Now some people will say that gangsters will just go to a Chicago suburb for guns, circumventing any laws, and that we need stronger gun control nationwide, I and others disagree. The most obvious reason for the disagreement is that if Chicago can't secure their borders and keep guns out what chance does the USA have when they can't secure the border, how are they going to stop people from making guns at home? The answer is they can't.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Chicago is brought up because of the gun control debate and the desire to ban rifles. Time and time again anti gun people were shown who is committing murder and the weapons they use, as of yet no logical argument has been made supporting a restriction on rifles. No plan has been put forward to actually deal with the cause of violence, just a plan to restrict rifles and magazines as if that is the cause.

If gun control worked then Chicago would be a shining example, if gun control doesn't work then other factors are at play. Now some people will say that gangsters will just go to a Chicago suburb for guns, circumventing any laws, and that we need stronger gun control nationwide, I and others disagree. The most obvious reason for the disagreement is that if Chicago can't secure their borders and keep guns out what chance does the USA have when they can't secure the border, how are they going to stop people from making guns at home? The answer is they can't.
Good point. Maybe the answer is to build a fence around the city limits and have customs agents patrol the checkpoints. Might as well require special passports for suburbanites to enter the city too. Chicago needs to secure its borders, right?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Good point. Maybe the answer is to build a fence around the city limits and have customs agents patrol the checkpoints. Might as well require special passports for suburbanites to enter the city too. Chicago needs to secure its borders, right?
That's what Moscow did before the USSR fell. Moscow was like another country and you couldn't just move there.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That's what Moscow did before the USSR fell. Moscow was like another country and you couldn't just move there.
I know...my wife grew up in that environment, where you had a national ID card and you needed special permission to move around your own country.

There just really is no way for any city to patrol its borders in this country. People can make a quick drive from Chicago to Indiana and buy fireworks, cheaper cigarettes, etc. Likewise, you can make a trip a few miles outside the city limits and circumvent Chicago's gun laws to your heart's content. Chicago doesn't exist in a bubble. I'm not saying I agree with our gun restrictions, but I don't think the uptick in violence here is necessarily an indictment of those restrictions either.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
This forum seems to be obsessed with Chicago so I figure it is the best place to ask people here, I am looking at potentially buying some condos for investments in Chicago and I was curious which neighborhoods were the ones I should be looking in?

I know there is an issue with gun violence and such, so which neighborhoods have low gun violence or is all of Chicago dangerous?
There is a forum for that and I am a regular there. Basically for a condo, it depends on what you can afford. The best places are Hyde Park, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Edgewater for a condo. For a single home, Jefferson Park or any number of places. Most of the killings in Chicago occur in certain parts of the west and south sides. 75% of the city is fine.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
So this thread gets moved to the Chicago forum, but not the threads that are about the gun violence in Chicago, that makes no sense at all.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Depends on your price range.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
This forum seems to be obsessed with Chicago so I figure it is the best place to ask people here, I am looking at potentially buying some condos for investments in Chicago and I was curious which neighborhoods were the ones I should be looking in?

I know there is an issue with gun violence and such, so which neighborhoods have low gun violence or is all of Chicago dangerous?
I think you've been swayed too much by the media if you think all of Chicago is dangerous. In reality, a lot of Chicago is perfectly safe.

Here's some facts for you.

1) Out of the 77 community areas in Chicago, around 19 of them (25%) account for over 75% of all homicides in the city. Most of these neighborhoods are adjacent to each other in about 3 major areas of the city. There is only two "hot" areas that is next to any of these major crime areas (both these 'hoods are next to each other) and even then, it has some padding before it starts to go down hill

2) Most of the violent crime here, especially homicide, is gang on gang or drug related. If you aren't in a gang or you aren't dealing in drugs, the chances of you being the victim of a violent crime go drastically downhill. Don't get me wrong, you could still get it, but the chances are way lower.

3) Chicago is home to the 3rd most millionaires of any city in the US. I believe there's over 200,000 millionaires in this city. If the city was really totally dangerous, do you really think even most of them would stick around? I'd guarantee you most would move out to greener pastures. The Chicago MSA is also home to the 3rd most Fortune 500 headquarters of any MSA in the US. Chicago is 1 behind San Francisco MSA.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Actually this thread should be closed, it was moved here from another thread where people pretend like they understand Chicago because of the gun violence and use it for their pro gun mantra. It is kind of dumb and I created a thread to point out how little on that page knew of Chicago and its neighborhoods.

Sorry for any confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: