Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:05 AM
j33 j33 started this thread

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times

Advertisements

Okay, I admit to voting for the guy but the past few years things have seemed to really go downhill. Now, I can't blame him necessarily for things like the gang shootings on my street, but lets think about this. As a city resident there are four things very important things to me:

1 - Public transportation. I don't own a car (even though I probably could afford one), and even if I did, still couldn't drive it to work because it would be too expensive to park it in the loop.

2 - Being able to afford to live here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a palace, hell, I don't even care if I own my apartment, but if you nickel and dime me to death, I won't be able to afford to even do that ... so, if I'm paying every penny I make into your fees, rent, and taxes, how on earth do you expect me to enjoy the perks of living in a city (e.g. going to the theater, museums, good restaurants, etc)

3 - Safety. I don't like thugs, I don't like them hanging out on my street, I don't like them mugging people (someone just got jumped last week leaving a local pub), I don't like them shooting each other. I just simply don't like them.

4 - The existence of decent jobs. I'm no fan of bending over and kissing the butts of the corporations that are (sadly) running the country, but lets face it, if there are no jobs in your damn town, it is a bad, bad thing (see Detroit).

... none of these things seems particularly important to King Richard these days.

.... I'm not particularly keen on living in the burbs and probably never will be (I'll move to a smaller city before I move to the burbs). I'm in my mid-thirties and have lived in Chicago for over a decade, this is not the rantings of someone who just moved out of her parents basement, but I don't know how much more of this nonsense I'm willing to take.

.... and no, I do not care about the Olympics, if we get them, great, but don't destroy my city in the process of begging for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
You do realize that, comparatively speaking, we are the best city in America for all of those things mentioned above, right? We don't have NYC's crippling inability to manage it's overwhelming population and vastly expensive housing, or, well, everyone else's transit issues.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
You do realize that, comparatively speaking, we are the best city in America for all of those things mentioned above, right? We don't have NYC's crippling inability to manage it's overwhelming population and vastly expensive housing, or, well, everyone else's transit issues.
When you combine a massive tax increase with the impending major CTA crisis, the city isn't looking all that great right now.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:06 AM

28 posts, read 215,336 times
You obviously havent lived in NYC. The rents in NYC are crazy and too buy is even crazier atleast Chicago allows people an opportunity to live in the city...Chicago is affordable comparing to other cities.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
4 - The existence of decent jobs. I'm no fan of bending over and kissing the butts of the corporations that are (sadly) running the country, but lets face it, if there are no jobs in your damn town, it is a bad, bad thing (see Detroit).
sorry, but if you cant find a job in chicago you cant find a job anywhere.

-chicagoland has 66 fortune 500 headquarters.
-largest high tech and IT employment in the US
-major transportation and distribution center- 3rd largest intermodal port in the world
-10th on UBS' list of the worlds richest cities
-2nd largest labor pool in the US
-2nd largest central business district in the US
-most balanced economy in the US

Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 AM

Uh ... I have a fine job, a great job in fact, and have never had any trouble finding a job the entire time I've lived here (since I moved here from Chicago Heights in 1992 ... you want trouble finding a job, look for one there). I want it to stay that way.

Oh, did I just commit the cardinal sin on this board and criticize our 'great leader'?

I am well aware of the advantages of Chicago over many other cities which is why I continue to live hear despite having friends and family try and talk me into moving to places like nyc and boston on a semi-regular basis. I just want it to stay that way, and I'm not sure I like the direction Chicago is going, that is all. .... sheesh.

One thing that has always mystified me is how some people don't seem to every want to examine or discuss what is wrong with a city and/or its leaders and scream 'fowl' to those who do. Surely I am not the only one who is scratching her head at the proposed tax increases and the impending destruction of the CTA as a viable public transportation system? Surely I am not the only one who has thought about what it means to have your property tax skyrocket and the continuing squeeze on the middle class we have left, the dismal condition of the school I live a few blocks away from, the alderman who I know is so easily bought, the teenager who was gunned down on my street, the dubious benefits of the TIF program, the continuing lawsuits and accusations of corruptions that cost the city tens of thousands of dollars to fight or settle, etc etc.

But heaven forbid I say anything, least I be labeled a 'Chicago hater' ... give me a break.

Last edited by j33; 10-11-2007 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-11-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toedrag View Post
You obviously havent lived in NYC. The rents in NYC are crazy and too buy is even crazier atleast Chicago allows people an opportunity to live in the city...Chicago is affordable comparing to other cities.
I'm well aware of this. I have loads of friends who live in nyc, and was just in new york city not two weeks ago, and will be going to Boston for thanksgiving, so I know these things well. I'm interested only in discussing the proposed tax and fee increases in Daley's new budget on top of the potential county increase in taxes and fees and the governmental mismanaging of Chicago and cook county. I don't care what other cities are doing, I want to talk about this one.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Aren't Chicago property taxes still considerably lower than in the suburbs? If I recall correctly, the Chicago property tax levy (the portion of the tax bill going to the city of Chicago, ie not the schools, not cook county, etc) has remained flat for several years.

That being said, if the city didn't have out of control TIFs, much or all of the tax increase would be unnecessary.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
thank you for bringing this up, j33. I know I just moved here so I hope you don't judge my opinions too harshly ... The things you have listed are the same things I look for as well. The CTA mess is making my head spin. I moved here because i wouldn't need a car. I live practically ON TOP OF the Red Line because that way i wouldn't need a car. I refuse to live in the burbs because cookie cutter USA is where I came from. I guess the only thing I can do is get some more cash flow coming in somehow...

Now as far as what Daley's proposing, i really have no problem with the SUV sticker thing. In fact, I think that one is hilarious, since I hate the things. The liquor and bottled water thing - fine, whatever. If I want to a. get wasted and/or b. not drink tap water and I have to pay a little extra, oh well. I don't own any property but i'm sure that the property tax will trickle down to us lowly apartment renters somehow.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
From what I understand (in the paper today), 80% of the Chicago budget is health care for employees and ex-employees, personnel costs and pensions. And it's getting more expensive by the day.

This is the problem. Until we get a handle on health care, until we get a handle on perks offered to the city/state/government employees, we're doomed.

Last edited by mdz; 10-11-2007 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago