Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:48 AM

461 posts, read 796,561 times

Advertisements

Try visiting some other urban areas and compare them to Chicago. Mayor Daley does a remarkable job - And since I no longer live there, I'll stop talking. Since it appears you no longer live there, complain about your own mayor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Cook County Board President Stroger and Governor Blagojevich are ten times worse than Daley. Daley at least tries to do his best for Chicago. Stroger just packed the county govt with family and cronies and fired doctors and DA's. Then he raised taxes to pay for it.

Blago oh boy where do I begin.
- Is probably going to end up joining Ryan in the pen.
- No one will work with him because he is such a J-off. As a result, nothing gets passed or done.
- The idea of giving people free rides on a bankrupt transit system qualifies as dumbest idea of the decade. While where on the subject they raised the sales taxes on everything, including food btw, to prevent a fare hike whch now has to happen anyways thanks to him.
- I can't drive on the tollways without a darn I-PASS or get off the tollway with a bucket of coins and use the cash lanes, then try to get left and get back on and not get forced off at the exit; in which case you have to pay again to get back on the tollway.

The two of them have made me a loyal republican.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:36 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
I LIKE Richie. You guys are spoiled. What the rest of America lives with as "mayors" is pathetic.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:48 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Another vote for Daley here. The good far outweighs the bad.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:45 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Watch out. The black helicopters are coming!

But of course, they can't take off from Meig's Field anymore, so they may take a while...
Chicago no longer uses helicopters. It was determined that this was not aesthetically pleasing to the surrounding environment, and the elderly citizens in the Loop complained about the noise.

All citizens are asked to stock the tops of their buildings with buckets of water in case of fire and to store cab fare with the doorman in the event of a heart attack.

Seriously though, Daley's probably the best thing to ever happen to the city. If nothing else, he deeply and truly cares about the city; he isn't a Springfield parasite like Blago. Daley is the one and only central authority that gets things done without retarded aldermen and women brandishing their stupidity.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:02 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
I'm happy he got rid of Meigs, and while I have some problems with Daley (TIFs especially) I vote for him and someone would have to work pretty hard to convince me that they could do a better job.

I do get really annoyed with people who don't live in Chicago and like to bash Daley and Chicago politics. Especially when it is someone from a place like Schaumburg and they don't even know who the village president is, or even what type of local government they have. I talked to a guy from Phoenix at an airport bar a few months ago and all he wanted to do was talk about how corrupt Daley and Chicago politics are, and talk about how great Phoenix politics are. He didn't even know what type of gov't Phoenix had, who was mayor, or what the city gov't was responsible for. But he was absolutely certain it was much better than Chicago.

And yeah - Stroger and Blago need to go. I can't see either one getting reelected.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:39 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
I lived in Chicago from 92 to mid 2006 - Daley's time.

Did Daley raise Chicago Tax to 10.25% too?

I thought Blagoavich initailly campaign to be an honest anti-corruption guy!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Jessie...I lived in Chicago from 1956 to 1974...the FIRST Daley's time.

Can't beat the Daley machine is all I will say. And, quite honestly, the city of Chicago is run much better than, say, Charlotte....

Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I lived in Chicago from 92 to mid 2006 - Daley's time.

Did Daley raise Chicago Tax to 10.25% too?

I thought Blagoavich initailly campaign to be an honest anti-corruption guy!
No, the sales tax is 10.25%

That's a combination of the State of Illinois, Cook County (the real problem), and the RTA's components.

Daley and the city are NOT the reason for the 10.25%, and the city and Daley have no control over this except to protest to the county.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:43 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwein View Post
II'm not a big fan about how Daley handles the CPS (Chicago Public Schools) where he sticks to all the same tired old utterly failed liberal policies that have been put in place since 1964. The CPS is just a joke by an standard and Daley just is unwilling to address the root problems.
It's hard to address the "root problems" in CPS when the major problem is the people who go to CPS schools. I don't think the State should be forced to educate anti-social thugs who have no interest in education and who disrupt the educational process for others. Part of the reason that private schools succeed is that they have the ability to discipline and expell students who cause problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago