Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Never mind, then. I thought you were learning. I think you still don't understand what de facto segregation means.

It's not a matter of opinion. It's an observable fact. When some neighborhoods are 90% Black and some are 90% White, that's called segregation, by definition. Why it exists may involve some degree of opinion, but its actual existence does not.

It doesn't have to involve anyone "making" anyone live anywhere. That's what makes it de facto segregation rather than an official policy of segregation.

Got it? If not, I give up.
No, you explained it perfectly.

And I think I got it before you posted this, but I will give you the credit for opening my eyes.

Now, you can get more credit from me.

Why does it exist then?

I think it's because of money.

Do you have another idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
So first you didn't know what "de facto" meant, and now you do (maybe), but segregation doesn't exist, except that it does, but it's strictly a class thing. Always good to see well-considered posts here. In any case, he already answered your question. It was in post #20, remember?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A little refresher for you
That's certainly part of it, but it's far more complex than that. If it were strictly about money, you'd see more poor white and latino families in Englewood, working class black families in Bridgeport, and upper middle class black people in lakeview and lincoln park. You don't.

Much of this was created by a history of discriminatory housing practices. There's a lot out there you can read up on about this if it interests you.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't even know how to address the stunning naivete of someone who believes anyone can just move into any part of the city and settle in comfortably. You have to be either willfully or actually blind to not plainly see the de facto segregation in this town.
Clearly I shouldn't have repped you for making me laugh earlier, because this is the post most worthy.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't even know how to address the stunning naivete of someone who believes anyone can just move into any part of the city and settle in comfortably. You have to be either willfully or actually blind to not plainly see the de facto segregation in this town.
Maybe you're confusing "De Facto Segregation" with "People Choosing to Live Where They Want to Live", or "Cultural Preferences".

Because if the money was there, a person could live where they wanted to.

Maybe people live in a housing style/environment in which they are comfortable with. Is that a possibility?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Maybe you're confusing "De Facto Segregation" with "People Choosing to Live Where They Want to Live", or "Cultural Preferences".

Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Is there a point to this thread?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Yes, race baiting about segregation when the ethnic groups choose to cluster together of their own free will.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Do you prefer this or the bike thread?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
What's a "large city" to you? New York? Los Angeles? Is that it? Do the spots #4 through whatever matter?
Well, those are the two that we're going to be most compared to domestically, yes. I don't often hear Chicago compared to #4 Houston, but Houston is not going to be on anyone's list of most segregated cities, anyway, so that's moot.

I recently pointed out on another thread that the type of segregation that exists in Chicago exists in much of the U.S. Great Lakes area (as evidenced by Detroit and Milwaukee ranking ahead of Chicago on the list you linked to), but since Chicago is the largest city in this area and the only one that considers itself a "global city", it gets noticed more. I was surprised to see NYC ranking ahead of Chicago on that list, though. I'm interested to know more about exactly how they measured that, but not interested enough to dig to try to find out.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Why does it exist then?

I think it's because of money.

Do you have another idea?
I addressed this earlier in the thread, as Lorie pointed out. It's complex, with money being one of many factors.

Quote:
Those things are also factors in de facto segregation. (Though, as with the other, you're naively and grossly oversimplifying them.) No one but you is "confusing" anything here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago