Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,343 times

Advertisements

I have been considering moving to Evanston for a while and have been there many times. I currently live in the far northwest suburbs. Today I went with my two children who are in middle school. We went to Mason Park by the high school and we were the only white people there. The African Americans stared at us like they had never seen a light-skinned person before, and a little kid (must of been about 5-7) kept making jokes at my son and calling him a 'silly white boy'. I would like to rent around the high school because of my price range, although there seem to be absolutely no white people in that area. I would like to be in a diverse area (not all white, but not all black either) so my children grow up with an open mind. I went to the east side of Evanston and downtown and it was all white & asian people. Is it racially segregated?

Also, I am interested in Rogers Park. I have been a lurker on this forum for months and know that many people have a negative attitude about it but I really like it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
I haven't noticed either being segregated... rogers park especially is very block to block and building to building in terms of ethnic backgrounds.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 PM

91 posts, read 294,150 times
To answer your question - Evanston isnt segregated racially. Rogers park isnt either. You have pockets of all backgrounds scattered everywhere. I know the ideal would be to find that special neighborhood with a great blend of all nationalitites that get along and respect one another. I heard that some parts of CA have areas like that - where neighborhoods are like a United colors of Benneton commercial....but this is Chicago. Its not that we dont have a full spectrum of all nationalities/ethicities - its just that they arent blended well together in a perfect co-existing type reality. How can this be you say - the answer is simple - MONEY HONEY!

Chicago on the surface still appears to have major racial segregation - but this aint the Jim Crow era - landlords will rent to people who can pay regardless of color. Some minority families simply may not have the household income to live in higher end areas. Some do - but as a whole you may see a better saturation of whites in higher end areas. And I know you are looking for more of a melting pot experience - BUT - the reality of being in a CHicago melting pot is that you will get stares, you will get ignorant comments. And that can sting worse than any violent act. But its not the end of the world - so if you settle in an area with a demographic that is not quite the ideal - realize that you can still make the best of the experience. There may be some trying times - but it aint the end of the world. My parents managed to explain to me that everybody's a minority sometime somewhere - and not to let the idiots of the world get to me.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:26 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
OP. You will have to keep schools in mind. Evanston has some great public schools and Chicago has mainly mediocre schools (with some exceptions). If you move to Rogers Park schools may be an issue for your kids. Personally, I like Rogers Park and as long as you are in the right section you will feel safe enough. I like the area close to Loyola Univ. and also W Lunt near the Heartland Cafe and over towards the Lake.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
The area just north and east of the High School is the "blackest" part of Evanston. There are a few solidly black neighborhoods and a few solidly white neighborhoods in Evanston, but most of them are mixed and somewhere in between.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM

400 posts, read 957,827 times
I like the area of Evanston around the highschool too.

BUT, it is largely african american, AND to
it seems that the people there are afraid of that changing.
It may change, but very very slowly.

But I do think that there is gentrification in Evanston going on
but it is yes very very slow.

I think what happened to you at mason park is
that you ran into some insular people who dont like
outsiders. People dont like change or new people.
Especially if it possibly means the neigborhood is getting better
and they are poor.

It is amazing how cheap the AA areas of Evanston are
compared to the rest of the town.

The retail area on Simpson has improved on the east side
but quickly goes down hill and looks like no one has any interest in it
and then you cross mccormick and you are in fancy evanston again.
Very strange area that area of evanston around the highschool.
But the area on greenleaf has gotten better. Very cool area.

People are slow to recognize that Rogers Park is changing.
It went through a very bad period and does suffer
periodic violence. But it really is starting to turn the corner.
Morse is really in transition right now.
And Howard is a little further behind. But looks like
its just waiting for the economy to turn around
and more investment.

I think in the long and short run Rogers Park is the better investment.
The poorer areas of Evanston are far from transporation
and its has more inertia against change (improvement).

Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Evanston is mostly Northwestern, and most places with a bunch of college kids is gonna be diverse as it is. I guess it depends on where you go in the city.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM

50 posts, read 111,908 times
As long as your kids are in Evanston schools they will grow up to have an open mind. That's truly where they will learn to appreciate other peoples cultures and differences. And Evanston Township is one of the best in terms of teaching and embracing diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: